Elemental Cleave Templar: Multistrike

So I was wondering if any of you guys have been using Multistrike on your cleave templar. It seems like a good idea but I do not have 5 Links at the moment, only a 4 Link which holds Mana Leech, Life Leech, and Cleave. Should I replace Mana Leech with the cleave for Multistrike or should I just forget about it?
How will you pay for cleave if you replace mana leech?

Anyway, no. Multistrike is something I might consider for my 6th link, but definitely not my 4th or 5th link. If you were looking for a 4th gem, it should be weapon elemental.

Weapon elemental is the single biggest DPS boost you can get from a gem as an elemental cleaver. No contest, not even close. Even concentrated effect doesn't give as much damage, and that has a huge down-side, while weapon elemental has none.

I don't know what the "more attack speed" bonus is at level 20 multistrike (not on the wiki yet), but if it follows the pattern it should be 107% more attack speed, which will be giving you a 24.2% DPS boost. Weapon elemental at level 1 gives you a 61% DPS boost, and at level 20 it is an 80% DPS boost.

My gem layout in my 5L is:

Cleave + Weapon Elemental + Life leech + faster attacks + increased AoE. (I pay for cleave with EB)

If I were not using EB and thus needed mana leech or blood magic, and were running a 4 link, it would be:
cleave + weapon elemental + life leech + mana leech / blood magic
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 16, 2013, 6:59:19 PM
"
I don't know what the "more attack speed" bonus is at level 20 multistrike (not on the wiki yet), but if it follows the pattern it should be 107% more attack speed, which will be giving you a 24.2% DPS boost. Weapon elemental at level 1 gives you a 61% DPS boost, and at level 20 it is an 80% DPS boost.

Hi would you show me the math on this? Why would a 107% increase in attack speed only give you a 24.2% increase DPS boost?
"
"

Hi would you show me the math on this? Why would a 107% increase in attack speed only give you a 24.2% increase DPS boost?

Multistrike has a 40% damage penalty.

(1 + 1.07) * (1 - 0.4) = 1.242 = 24.2% actual increase in damage dealt.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 16, 2013, 10:52:16 PM
"
"
"

Multistrike has a 40% damage penalty.

(1 + 1.07) * (1 - 0.4) = 1.242 = 24.2% actual increase in damage dealt.

Somehow I always thought that the penalty was only for Melee Physical Damage. My mistake.

So it would seem as though the gem is actually BETTER for physical damage builds? Since as the gem levels up the increased physical damage can potentially make up for the 40% damage penalty.

Unless I'm wrong again because 40% less >>>>>>>> 40% increase damage. I forgot the details about the wordings.
It will not make up for the less damage because its the damage of the entire skill and "less" modifiers are applied last. Such as if you have 100% increased damage, you get (100 + 100) * 0.6 = 120. In the same way that "more" is applied last.

Also the gem was just changed from reducing melee damage to just plain reducing damage (due to LS projectiles).
One more note: physical damage is not any good unless you run a two-handed weapon - esp. with an ability that converts some of it to elemental.
Dont quote me on this last stuff though, I just feel weak on physical builds, possibly due to monster armor.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info