Forbidden Sanctum Meta Pigeon Holes Us

So, Forbidden Sanctum as an ascetic and mode of play looks cool. However, there's a huge, shiny, glaring issue I see: the resolve mechanic.

So, according to the intro video, resolve gets lessened whenever you are hit, regardless of block or evasion. I'm going to assume this is also with regards to elusive as well. When resolve reaches 0, you loose.

What does this mean?

Besides needed to have some defensive mechanic, the main mechanic we need to worry about most is not being hit over everything. This means we need to worry most about positioning. So, we're gonna need an unlimited movement skill, like whirling blades or shield charge. That right there automatically limits our build choices. Besides that, there are very few movement based attack or cast skills that are movement based with reasonable control and, if specced into, requires big investment. Again, very limiting.

Channeling skills are right out. Even cyclone may be ok, but we'll see.

On top of wanting to be highly mobile so we're not hit, we'll want to slow our attackers to give us more time to move around, get CDs restored, and not fill the screen with attacks that limit where we can go. As such, skills that slow the enemy will be highly desired, mainly chill and temporal chains.

Also, since our top priority is moving, we're gonna want something that has high uptime on dps while we're moving around so much avoiding being hit. As such, things like DoTs, totems, and possibly mines/traps will be more desired.

It seems the ideal build is a cold DoT, shield charge or cyclone CoC, curse build. Kinda doesn't scream of diversity.

Why did you do this? Am I missing something? Am I horribly wrong in what builds are being limited?
Last edited by Spurnshadow on Dec 2, 2022, 10:44:52 AM
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2022, 3:33:13 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
if you can dodge uber boss attack's sanctum should be fine
"
Spurnshadow wrote:

Besides needed to have some defensive mechanic, the main mechanic we need to worry about most is not being hit over everything. This means we need to worry most about positioning. So, we're gonna need an unlimited movement skill, like whirling blades or shield charge. That right there automatically limits our build choices. Besides that, there are very few movement based attack or cast skills that are movement based with reasonable control and, if specced into, requires big investment. Again, very limiting.

Smart players will play Ruthless and won't be limited by movement skills. CarlSmile
I sympathize, OP. My boyfriend literally had the same thought about this, where the meta will be glass cannon, speed freak builds since slow and tanky playstyles are going to be heavily disincentivized. It's enough that he questions whether he'll bother hopping into the game at all this league since he's not very quick as far as reflexes are concerned.

As for me? Well, I've got (heavily nerfed) summoner builds and Flame Dash. I'm sure I'll manage. It just sucks I'll be playing alone. Again. Because of GGG's insistence on speed being the only fucking thing that matters in this game.

"Slow the game down" my ass.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Dec 2, 2022, 11:29:15 AM
I know it's early days, but I don't know a single person who watched the trailer, thought for any length of time about what this league mechanic will entail, and didn't say "So... Spark, right?"

If the mechanic is hyper rewarding, to the point of being meta-defining (which it does appear to be, because of how powerful the account bound relics are), we could easily see 30%+ Spark representation on the SC Trade ladder. The only hard choice people are going to have to make is playing it on inquisitor, trickster, or occultist.
"
I know it's early days, but I don't know a single person who watched the trailer, thought for any length of time about what this league mechanic will entail, and didn't say "So... Spark, right?"

If the mechanic is hyper rewarding, to the point of being meta-defining (which it does appear to be, because of how powerful the account bound relics are), we could easily see 30%+ Spark representation on the SC Trade ladder. The only hard choice people are going to have to make is playing it on inquisitor, trickster, or occultist.

Dont worry, GGG probably thought the same and Spark will be killed in next patchnotes :D
Last edited by remixzwE on Dec 2, 2022, 5:32:36 PM
"
remixzwE wrote:
Dont worry, GGG probably thought the same and Spark will be killed in next patchnotes :D
Patch notes are out. 4 mentions of "spark". 2 for the enchant and 2 for a spark MTX bugfix.
Leagues always favor some build types over others. This one is favoring dps and mobility.
"
Leagues always favor some build types over others. This one is favoring dps and mobility.

As opposed to all of those leagues that favor zdps and standing in one place? :p
"
SirGuySW wrote:
"
remixzwE wrote:
Patch notes are out. 4 mentions of "spark". 2 for the enchant and 2 for a spark MTX bugfix.

GGG removed the threshold jewel that I wasn't planning to use (it doesn't synergize with pinpoint and makes it harder to shoot around corners, which is obviously a very strong aspect of the skill for sanctum) and replaced a helm enchant I also wasn't going to use. Nothing about 3.19 Spark got nerfed for 3.20.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info