"Toothless" Mode When?

"
Alendert wrote:
"

You wouldn't be surprised to hear I proposed this way back during beta. The true potential of GGG's crafting currency innovation has never been realised (Descent came close), and likely never will be. I think it's tragic how crafting currency has become, well, just currency for the most part. GGG stumbled onto the most amazing, practical form of currency, one with genuine function rather than abstract value, and failed to take advantage of it, instead letting their game turn into a far less interesting loot fest so out of control it needs extensive filtering.

What? Crafting currency is absolutly fine and you can use it true potential playing SSF, instead of cutting fun for super easy (trade) mod.

No, you can't. Because the game drops plenty of non-white items. Perhaps you underestimate what I mean when I say 'true potential' but if you'd played Descent way back when, you'd have at least some grasp of it. If you didn't, feel free to google it (and your account creation date is from 2016 so unless you have other accounts, you missed it and I'm sorry for that). It gave currency rewards at the end of each level and drops were pretty scarce, so they were *insanely* useful. As in SSF, an alchemy orb was vastly more useful 99% of the time than an exalted orb or even a mirror, but unlike SSF this value wasn't the result of choosing to self-handicap. People were of course blown away by the fact that Descent gave you a mirror, just like that, but it was a void league and GGG knew that absent the market, mirrors are kind of useless.

So while it's true that SSF does increase the value of currency as a crafting tool, SSF is a self-limiting mode, as is Ruthless. Self-imposed punishment rather than a positively-promoted mode optimised for players to really see how crafting material can shine. And as such, neither are GGG realising what their crafting/gambling items can truly do if made the star of the show instead of just...well, currency.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Nov 27, 2022, 5:31:09 AM
"
innervation wrote:
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
Jadawin87 wrote:
I would be more interested in a "crafting only mode".

You never find magic, rare or unique items but you can find more crafting material and can use better crafting options.

You must craft everything yourself.

That's actually an interesting idea.

At the risk of being 'that guy', that's basically OG Harvest is it not? Every craft I saw a thread on started with the following two steps:

Find an iLvl XX base on trade site.

Scour it

Then do whatever it takes to get it ready for the harvest bench, which was usually fossil, essence, harvest or alteration orb based.

Sentinel was my first real league I played. I think I have missed the best time of this game. Very sad. After two leagues I'm more interested in crafing but now it seams they have removed the fun out of it.
"
Alendert wrote:
"

You wouldn't be surprised to hear I proposed this way back during beta. The true potential of GGG's crafting currency innovation has never been realised (Descent came close), and likely never will be. I think it's tragic how crafting currency has become, well, just currency for the most part. GGG stumbled onto the most amazing, practical form of currency, one with genuine function rather than abstract value, and failed to take advantage of it, instead letting their game turn into a far less interesting loot fest so out of control it needs extensive filtering.

What? Crafting currency is absolutly fine and you can use it true potential playing SSF, instead of cutting fun for super easy (trade) mod.

I play a bit SSF but when you only have normal items to work with then I think you need much more crafting material drops instead of all the other drops. In my current SSF game I never have enough of it. Still have 5-link. But thats ok.
"
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
"
Jadawin87 wrote:

You never find magic, rare or unique items but you can find more crafting material and can use better crafting options.

That's actually an interesting idea.

...snip...

Totally agree with that. Actually it looks like they want to close this "crafting for winning" option to absolutly force the player to grind endless.
Dont forget no xp penalty.
"
To be honest, what you've described just sounds like a currency dump.

It is exactly that! But that is crafting with currency, is it not? In the modern post-harvest age you pile up your currency with the knowledge that a certain step will be something like a 1-in-8, and then you ready your 'takeback step' which used to be in Harvest and beastcrafting, but is now more on Annuls. So when you lose the 1-in-8 you either do your takeback, or roll your 2-in-3 fail chance on your takeback (if annuling) then go back to dumping your currency on the item from the initial steps.

This is why people flipped tables over harvest losing keep prefix/suffix as it was a save state for their currency dumps without needing as many takeback steps.

Very dumpy indeed.

Spoiler
I know what you mean though, right there with you on Decent - both being fun and giving you currency to do 'real crafting'.
"
hasatt0 wrote:
10000x IIQ/IIR
Auction House
Less RNG

Hardcore players have their normal Poe, streamers have their ruthless mode. Only fair to give the casuals their very own mode.

Reenable the increased quantity support gem but for Standard only. Standard's already a good place for casuals and it's a good league for min maxing a magic finder if that's your thing.
Last edited by jack_aubrey on Nov 28, 2022, 12:42:57 AM
"
Jadawin87 wrote:

There’s a private league option for no magic or rare drops.
"
"
Jadawin87 wrote:

There’s a private league option for no magic or rare drops.

Nice to know.

When I pay the money for this and use League Type=Standard can I then play this private league for years? Or only 3 Month?
Dude not all casuals want divines dropping from Hillock. I think using the term 'casuals' for the only people wanting free Christmas gifts non-stop is almost an insult. I think we need a new category, something like the 'zero effort kindergarden'.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info