Stop promoting Logout: Ruthless, Delve, Bosses

"
xpurkapix wrote:

Logout doesn't save you from game crashes or disconnects.

"Logout macro" (which disconnects) can save you from game crashes. I have had crashes (client freeze type) in Kalandra (SSF SC). One of them resulted in character death. Only way I could have died in the respective situation is by being in the game for a prolonged time. If I would have had such a tool which sends a disconnect message (or whatever they do) that would have fixed that death.
(But obviously this wouldnt directly work for disconnects. Disconnects could still be fixed per tool which reconnects. Assuming this will instantly kick out the old disconnected connection. Far as I remember this is how it supposedly works.)

"
xpurkapix wrote:
I was talking about permanent issues like server is lagging every 10 sec for all players or the client freezes if you open a legion or a strongbox. Stuff like this got fixed. Being able to logout doesn't prevent temporary server issues. Just portal to town and wait until it's gone.
In HC you dont need permanent issues. One single issue is enough. And those laggy instances can be so bad that town portal is hard to do. Depends. Usually it would work but not always safely.

"
xpurkapix wrote:

"And disconnect is still one of the big reasons for HC deaths"
Yes, because hardcore player avoid most deaths with logouts. They just need enough defense to not get oneshot.
Running out of flasks? -> logout
Getting surrounded by mops -> logout
Kitava charging up a powerful attack -> logout
That is the issue.
Speaking for myself: Not true. In latest Delirium HCSSF event I "logged" once: After the league ended because I couldnt do anything else and my character was in stasis.

"
xpurkapix wrote:
Steelmage's ruthless journey is a good example. He avoided so many deaths by logout, caused by greed, unawareness or just bad luck. I didn't see him logging out, because of any server/client issue.
"Logging" should come with penalties IMO. Minimum loss of instance.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
It comes with a loss of instance, you lose a portal like SC I really don't get this current wave of people trying to make HC more HC, its already barely playable if you don't logout and really curtails how much content you can do aggressively.

Like the meme picture that gets posted the actual crossover between people who play HC, and people who care about logout is absolutely tiny as you have to be play the mode but be interested in policing everybody else as well.

I really don't care, yes it puts me at a disadvantage not to but its my choice and I enjoy the game more accepting my fuckups and trying to do better next time. Making someone else adhere to those rules doesn't benefit me at all its just trying to say my way is right.

Like I personally think all content should heal on death/portal/logout including on SC but I don't go around trying to convince everyone else this should be the way many SC players would hate it and I don't play SC. I'd just be making a case for changes to fit my own ethos of play.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Dec 1, 2022, 10:34:00 AM
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
I really don't get this current wave of people trying to make HC more HC,
If you mean my thread: Primary purpose was not to promote punishing logout. But rather to promote a game design which doesnt make logout so beneficial as it is now. Its right in the topic line.

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Making someone else adhere to those rules doesn't benefit me at all its just trying to say my way is right.
But it potentially does: See above: If this results in game design changes beneficial to you. (And there are also people competing which benefit from a more equal playing field.)
It won't though, because there is this extremely misguided belief that GGG's design process went

We need to be able to logout > Only way to create threat is spikes

because of a snippet from an interview with Ziz and a decade old forum thread where everyone cuts out the second paragraph.

The entire pacing of the game hinges on this the entire game feel would be totally different if spikes and recovery were reduced, many players that currently enjoy the flow would hate it and it would be an enormous change to every single system as the rates are now completely incorrect.

So the choices you get are a game with logout, or a game without. The rest will be exactly the same either way because it isn't important to GGG to change their fundamentals to the detriment/betterment of the smallest group of players.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

The entire pacing of the game hinges on this the entire game feel would be totally different if spikes and recovery were reduced, many players that currently enjoy the flow would hate it and it would be an enormous change to every single system as the rates are now completely incorrect.

So the choices you get are a game with logout, or a game without. The rest will be exactly the same either way because it isn't important to GGG to change their fundamentals to the detriment/betterment of the smallest group of players.
Not sure what you are responding to here. But this doesnt have much (if anything?) to do with what I posted/meant. My points (see OP) were inescapable situations (like Delve endpoint) and boss fights with certain design elements like Eater Maven orb phase. That doesnt have much (if anything) to do with the pacing. Normally using a movement skill strongly competes with logout. But in the mentioned cases it doesnt. Thats then when logout becomes comparatively overly powerful.
Last edited by Zrevnur on Dec 1, 2022, 11:37:18 AM
I mean they still have petrify statue in the game. Syndicate members can petrify you and there is no counter play to that at all, the only thing you can do is log out.

The game is clearly designed around instant logout, I don't know why these topics are popping up, there is no way they are able to go through everything they have created and adjust the content to not be designed around it.

It's literally pointless to open up these threads.
Sorry you are right i've got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

I pretty much agree with your suggestions there is just alot of these threads kicking about at the moment and they are largely all the same - make these changes, for this mob mentality reason for something I don't play nor have any intention of playing :p so I glanced and assumed

Again my apologies!
"
VaDe255 wrote:
I mean they still have petrify statue in the game. Syndicate members can petrify you and there is no counter play to that at all, the only thing you can do is log out.
Just checked this out in some detail (RIP vid and some reddit/forum posts) and my impression is that you are wrong. It seems to take quite some time to petrify you. There is also indication that you need to be facing towards the statue for it to be able to petrify you but I am not sure on that.

"
VaDe255 wrote:
there is no way they are able to go through everything they have created and adjust the content to not be designed around it.
Even if they dont they likely will still create new content. For which this also matters. And possibly more so as old content is typically less necessary/rewarding than new content.
Seriously, who gives a damn about how other players play their game... This is not a competitive game, apart from a very few people at the top.

And no, I don't logout to avoid death... nor do I care if others think their game becomes more fun if they do.
"
Cyzax wrote:
Seriously, who gives a damn about how other players play their game... This is not a competitive game, apart from a very few people at the top.

And no, I don't logout to avoid death... nor do I care if others think their game becomes more fun if they do.

Whether you care about what other players do is one matter. Another matter however is whether you care about the game you play.

Do you want it to be designed for those who use logout or for those who dont?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info