Dissapointed on unique items on a design viewpoint.

i think uniques are awesome in this game,and one of the reasons i love it are the builds i can do around uniques,but i do agree with some of your points,some of them aren't that great,and offer little to no utility,even on low level characters
"
iMbaQ wrote:

Tell me, would you do a 70+ maps with that helmet on, if you were to play a FB build? Because I wouldn't. But maybe that is because I don't like to die/play hc. I'd rather wear a Goldrim cap tha
Now imagine, everyone who doesn't play FB :D. This item was designed as a noob trap.

Well, you can mitigate damage with endurance charges. If you do a build around items you have to spec for one purpose. And some points for extra End. Charges easily make up the Dmg Boost, which is hard/impossible to get otherwise.
I don't have the helmet on my FB Char, so this is just theory, but i guess the helmet was tested in one way or another, so i wouldn't call it straight useless.
And if you don't play FB, obviously this is not a helm for you. But there are many uniques like that. I mean u don't need the +1 Totem chest, if you don't use totems. You don't need Bones of Ular if you don't have summons. So what's the point?
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
Last edited by Darkrox on Apr 13, 2013, 8:42:32 AM
"
"
iMbaQ wrote:

Tell me, would you do a 70+ maps with that helmet on, if you were to play a FB build? Because I wouldn't. But maybe that is because I don't like to die/play hc. I'd rather wear a Goldrim cap tha
Now imagine, everyone who doesn't play FB :D. This item was designed as a noob trap.

Well, you can mitigate damage with endurance charges. If you do a build around items you have to spec for one purpose. And some points for extra End. Charges easily make up the Dmg Boost, which is hard/impossible to get otherwise.
I don't have the helmet on my FB Char, so this is just theory, but i guess the helmet was tested in one way or another, so i wouldn't call it straight useless.
And if you don't play FB, obviously this is not a helm for you. But there are many uniques like that. I mean u don't need the +1 Totem chest, if you don't use totems. You don't need Bones of Ular if you don't have summons. So what's the point?

Even with mitigation, those maps aren't as easy as you'd think - it is usually because you have to make the map pretty hard with exalts/chaos so that you have high quantity. Those curses and bonus mods on monsters already hurt - so endurance charges are not a luxury, but more so a requirement to survive. That kind of negative debuff is just way too much - I mean it is fine if all you do is docks all day...

I even forgot to mention it provides a critical strike multi mod - of which majority of melee classes do not spec I'd assume, since crit node placement is a bit weird for hp builds - so most go RT (but that is going into another discussion altogether I guess of how accuracy/crit nodes are slightly underpowered).

The totem chest/bones of Ullr are not good example because, many builds do utilize physical damage, not just FB. It is more worrying though, that even in its best case scenario (FB, and even pillar of caged god once the % is applied properly on off-weapon +phys), it is still an undesirable helmet - so you created a helm for <1% of builds which isn't even good - when an item is made for so few builds it really needs to be "best in slot" status for such builds (take Shavronnes Wrapping, it will always be best in slot for low life/ES builds). Please note, I am okay with 'Best in slot' items only if they are for very few builds, as stated in the OP. If you really want to make a helmet for 1/2 specific builds, please make sure it is actually viable for all content, even if it isn't 'Best in slot'. And if you must add penalties to it (even though it has no life/res), then make it appropriated to the bonus. No amount of +damage really justifies a huge % increase in death!
ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Apr 13, 2013, 9:10:51 AM
"
Galneryus wrote:

I just think they should make more melee weapons that can be just as good as lioneye's glare.

I see you’re either wishing hard lol or just reminiscing over CB. Ever since the armor/weaps purge, all the good shit was removed from the game and the “decent” shit, like lioneye's glare, will ONLY come from the uniques from now on. It’s sad but true.
The Pope quit, a meteor fell on Russia, an
asteroid came close to the earth, there's snow
in Arizona, star wars and star trek have the
same director! Who the hell is playing jumanji?
"
Wooli wrote:

(how do they test for balance if they're releasing 4 uniques! a week!)

They’re tested, more likely than not, in the alpha realm. There’s a special team dedicated to the arcane alpha world ;)
I think the point the OP is trying to bring home is the fact that granted uniques are meant to be “unique” but there are many with stats attached to them that make them totally useless for any kind of viable build or play in general – especially if you play in the HC leagues and want to have something “fun” to play with or try out.

I’m of the opinion that uniques are just that, “unique” and should/need to be used only for certain situations/builds. But when you have some with neg stats that are just exaggerated to the point of not being viable for anything, that’s where the problem comes in.

In CB, found a shit ton of uniques, gave a lot away as they were basically useless garbage. Very few that I do find, I will keep and try to make an interesting build around them. For me, at least, I like to keep the summoner’s uniques and a few ele dmg stuff. But due to the nerfs that occurred during an prior to OB, there are just many things I just wouldn’t even bother with anymore as they are now even more completely useless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info