Power Charge gem making Discharge viable again?

Consider the following:

Skill tree

Main attack: Spark+Fork+Critical Strikes+Power Charge On Crit
Secondary attack: Discharge+Concentrated Effect+Critical Strikes+Critical Multiplier (+ whatever else you want)
Support skills:
Bloodrage
Enduring Cry
Elemental Weakness
Discipline
(Whatever else you want)

Spork has probably the highest amount of potential crits per second with every cast being 9 projectiles and base crit chance being 6%. This allows you to build up to max power charges really fast. Blood Rage being free with CI delivers the frenzy charges. Enduring Cry obviously does the endurance charges.

What's especially powerful about this build is that you're not even relying solely on Discharge. Spork doesn't need a lot of +lightning damage to be good, the speedy Shock charge build-up makes its DPS substantial by itself. So during bossfights, where getting endurance charges is a pain and Blood Rage tends to be useless, you'll still have a high DPS spell to rely on, which also still gets you your 7 power charges.

I've had a Sporkmage for ages, and don't really feel like respeccing him, but just with 4 frenzy and 6 power charges Discharge is already a pretty neat burst damage skill for him. I can only imagine how devastating Discharge gets with a build designed around it.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think you only get 1 charge per cast? So no matter how many enemies are hit by the spell, if the spell rolled a crit you'll only reroll the chances of getting a charge per enemy hit, not roll the chance to gain a charge from each enemy.

Which is why voll's protector had its description changes to a power charge per enemy hit, so an attack with multiple projectiles or AOE will be able to gain a charge for every enemy it crits.

I may be wrong on this, I haven't tested PCOC with multiple projectiles yet. Either way, a voll's will make any discharger incredibly strong.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Apr 12, 2013, 12:52:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that at least Forking resets the crit roll, so you'd at least have 3 chances to get a crit. I'm using the gem on Spork in practice and the charges build up pretty reliably.
i want to know ur gear and discharge dps

can show me , plz

and can u farming map ??

my english not well , thx ur read.
IGN:Megrtron-----Marauder
IGN:Crypapa -----Ranger
I am working on a CI dual dagger (dual strike with melee splash) character. It has frenzy charges from bloodrage, endurance from mark and cry and power charges from the crit support.

In the alternate weapon set I have spell damage weapons. One has detonate dead totem socketed and the other will have discharge. It's only level 53 atm, but I think it could be fun to throw in the occasional discharge with 14 charges.
"
Wooser69 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure, but I think you only get 1 charge per cast? So no matter how many enemies are hit by the spell, if the spell rolled a crit you'll only reroll the chances of getting a charge per enemy hit, not roll the chance to gain a charge from each enemy.

Which is why voll's protector had its description changes to a power charge per enemy hit, so an attack with multiple projectiles or AOE will be able to gain a charge for every enemy it crits.

I may be wrong on this, I haven't tested PCOC with multiple projectiles yet. Either way, a voll's will make any discharger incredibly strong.

is this right? They changed voll's at the same time they added power charge on critical gem. I figured they made the change to voll's to match the functionality of PCOC. Just my interpretation, not grounded in evidence.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on May 15, 2013, 3:39:16 PM
never made or tried to make a discharge build, but this sounds fun
In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.
"
LostForm wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:

is this right? They changed voll's at the same time they added power charge on critical gem. I figured they made the change to voll's to match the functionality of PCOC. Just my interpretation, not grounded in evidence.
Yes, one charge per cast/attack, as that's what is considered a "critical strike". The only exception might be with critical weakness cast, as that rolls a separate crit roll for each enemy hit. Voll's Protector is special, it now grants a charge per enemy crit, pcoc doesn't follow those rules.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
I did some theorycrafting for a discharge templar myself (since i found a quality discharge):
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/370381
:)

EDIT: btw i guess you forgot to take amplify in your skill tree ;)

I guess your idea would get more DPS (thanks to better crit chance adn the lightning damage), but mine seems a bit safer :)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on May 15, 2013, 5:34:54 PM
"
TehHammer wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:

Yes, one charge per cast/attack, as that's what is considered a "critical strike". The only exception might be with critical weakness cast, as that rolls a separate crit roll for each enemy hit. Voll's Protector is special, it now grants a charge per enemy crit, pcoc doesn't follow those rules.

ah ok, thanks. you know what they say about assuming...I just never learn :D

PCOC potentially giving multiple charges per discharge crit might be game breaking anyways without the serious trade offs of voll's lol
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on May 15, 2013, 5:52:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info