0.10.6 Patch Notes

"
AusterlitZ wrote:
"
Duskbane wrote:
"
NyteCruzeR wrote:
YOUR LIGHTNING THORNS BUFF KILLED ME THRICE IN A MAP!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/106770/page/7/#p2870924

This lightning thorns change is actually enough to make me want to stop playing my level 83 character completely. I can kill myself firing ONE SHOT with capped resists and 3000 hp.

so glad about this change :)
sitting in back and snipping mobs smiling while we,the melee nabs got destroyed?

You fail to understand the issue. I fired ONE SHOT! With 3000 hp and capped resists, I should not instantly die to one shot. From what I saw from my melee friends, before the patch they took damage but they never died instantly even when ground slamming a whole group with thorns. Something is broken and glitched.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
"
Chris wrote:

The Lightning Thorns skill, as cast by the Blackguard Mages, now does lightning damage to ranged as well as melee attackers. It does less damage than before. The casters have to be closer to use it and have a reduced chance to cast it.
[/list]

About time... This was the last straw for me. After losing three HC 65-ish characters to Merciless Vaal (two smash, then one almost instant death to Quake with 3600+ HP) and then losing another one to my modem renewing IP while in docks.. I was getting really drained at that point by the meaningless gameplay experience in HC when the character can die so quickly to nonsensical damage.

Then I figured.. ah well... maybe I'm not good enough, fine! So I decided I'd play Default for a while with my melee character and was totally "raped" to use a popular term.. by the Lightning Thorns in Act III Merciless.

The damage was so insane, while my character had all around decent stats with 3600+ HP, near capped resists, like 35%+ based phys resistance, etc. I felt really powerless and completely disgusted at that point and quit. All around my experience in the last month of playing PoE was like getting kicked in my nuts all the time. Bittersweet at best.

That said I'm not coming back seeing as it will take you probably another year to figure out that dying to one shot slam attacks adds abosultely nothing worthwhile to the game, not to mention that it's completely useless to play Hardcore in Path of Exile when you can die at any moment if your modem decides to renew IP.

When you will fix the "Exit to login" feature to actually safeguard my character's life at that moment ,regardless of the state of the network connection to the server, then it will be worthwhile to play Hardcore (and thus play PoE at all).

The irony is that much of the gameplay woes and issues at the moment which are attirubted to the network code, could be far less troublesome and much less of a drag on the user experience, if you balanced the game to be more fun to play instead of being so unforgiving. Much of the issues people report with the network, are made worse because there is so little time to react to damage (when you have any), and the damage scaling is off the charts in some areas, it seems to be uncapped altogether.

This game could be a great ARPG but imho it's nowhere near as good as Diablo II. Where it lacks the deep lore and environment and sense of a world on the brink of destruction, it doesn't really balance it out with a fun and rewarding experience. It's fun for a few months until the unforgiving game balance takes a toll on your enjoyment of the game.

This game doesn't need to have these damage spikes, at all. You've got a great crafting system that can keep players coming back and playing over long periods of time. But then you shoot yourself in the foot by making it really hard to play a single character over a long period of time, for anyone but the cream of the crop of players.

I suggest you really distinguish the experience of playing races, where a character is only a temporary element; with that of playing Hardcore League for the long term. This is valid for Default as well as the experience loss can get very demoralizing when you get to the high levels.

Though I have learned to see the value in restarting character, the biggest mistake you do in the game design is to allow players to feel powerless. Once you allow that to happen (for various raesons I noted such as network issues, meaningless deaths, insane damage spikes, etc) ... then you lost a customer. BYE

Last edited by DeF46 on Apr 12, 2013, 10:12:41 AM
"
DeF46 wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

The Lightning Thorns skill, as cast by the Blackguard Mages, now does lightning damage to ranged as well as melee attackers. It does less damage than before. The casters have to be closer to use it and have a reduced chance to cast it.
[/list]

Though I have learned to see the value in restarting character, the biggest mistake you do in the game design is to allow players to feel powerless.

This summarizes my feelings... I'm trying to keep playing for now because I enjoy this game but I know the next time I see lightning thorns I'm going to want to just quit again.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
As a cyclone user, i'm pretty happy about the Lightning Thorns change.

It is still my hard counter though.
Great job! Love the dedication to the game you guys consistently show. The development manifesto is a great addition, and hopefully should help quell the majority of complaints (*ahem*bitching*coughcough*). Sorry something in my throat. ;)
IGN: NihilistCannon
I encountered lightning thorns in act 3, and they were not a problem to me (2k hp and 80% res by A3 of merciless). In fact, only after I read forums I understood that those pointy triangle things were meant to deal retaliation damage to my character (I used Cleave through normal and Ground Slam through cruel and merciless).
What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Naranjadita on Apr 12, 2013, 11:07:56 AM
They are complaining because of the abuse of chain. The lighting thorns (i think) do dmg PER hit. So if chain and blah blah blah I'm an "elite" LA marauder blah blah blah *chain hits xxx times BOOM dead.

Sorry if that was hard to follow. My brain works strangely.

"
RabidMonk wrote:
They are complaining because of the abuse of chain. The lighting thorns (i think) do dmg PER hit. So if chain and blah blah blah I'm an "elite" LA marauder blah blah blah *chain hits xxx times BOOM dead.

Sorry if that was hard to follow. My brain works strangely.

Honestly I think the new lightning thorns change to ranged and spellcasters is too hard now. Here's the reason...

Generally speaking, melee attacks are easier to control. Many hit one target and don't hit many times, don't have big radius of effect (maybe now with melee splash introduced, they might though). If a melee user encountered an enemy that had lightning thorns, they can direct their attention to some other enemy, or just hold off attacking and be able to tank (just because melee characters are generally able to tank better).

Now for a ranged attacker, even if you just fire once, your attack will likely do multiple hits and cover a large area. If you happen to hit a lightning thorns enemy, it will hurt a lot more, and the solution is to do what? Ranged attacks, particular spells, are harder to control and it's not like you can hold off attacking much since it's harder for ranged characters to tank while waiting for lightnig thorns to disappear.

This change makes it really hard for ranged and casters, especially if they're using skills like incinerate that do many hits.
Maybe bow and spell users should consider having a backup plan that doesn't involve hitting in quick succession or spraying shots all over the place? I've always considered it poor building to rely on a single skill for damage.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
after some playing... terraces looks great now, ground textures should be better...

please make GRACE more visible

ps - i don't mean to be whiny, thx for 4 patches in a week

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info