Frequent 1000+ latency spikes

The game is unplayable for me because of frequently high latency. This occurs both in hideout and maps, though it seems much worse in maps.

I have tried:
- Playing with a network cable
- Restarting the modem/router
- Disabling the firewall
- Switching from lockstep to predictive networking.

MTR: https://pastebin.com/vBdTLnfn
Last edited by MasterJeddy on Oct 25, 2021, 9:20:49 PM
Last bumped on Nov 20, 2022, 6:41:16 PM
Seems like a lot of players has been experiencing this
"
MasterJeddy wrote:
The game is unplayable for me because of frequently high latency. This occurs both in hideout and maps, though it seems much worse in maps.

I have tried:
- Disabling the firewall

Wired or wireless? If wireless, go wired if you can. You are getting packet loss that starts at your first hop = bad. And quite frankly, just gets even worse. How you even stay connected to the game is beyond me at this point; that's how bad your connection is.

Did you actually power cycle your router/modem? I.E. Turning them both off and unplug them for at least a minute?

If power cycling doesn't work and you are wired, try switching to a different cable. If you are wireless, you'll probably keep having issues since POE doesn't handle any sort of packet loss well because of it's netcode.

If none of the above works, contact your ISP. Tell them you are getting packet loss and it's affecting your ability to do what you want to online. Make sure that the see your MTR as that is the proof that they will need to see that something is borked.

@Yakuza: You can not claim that in the least. One person's connection has literally nothing to do with anyone else's unless they live in the same neighborhood/house. They have the same symptoms and the causes of them can vary drastically.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on Oct 25, 2021, 9:46:53 PM
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
"
MasterJeddy wrote:

@Yakuza: You can not claim that in the least. One person's connection has literally nothing to do with anyone else's unless they live in the same neighborhood/house. They have the same symptoms and the causes of them can vary drastically.

If you scroll through the tech support section, you'll see a lot of the same complaints. I've had it as well, and I can assure you it's not my internet. I've done every test you can imagine, called tech support and all that, nothing wrong. Every game, Opera GX, Youtube, nothing wrong. PoE is the only thing suffering from this.
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
"
MasterJeddy wrote:

I have tried:
- Disabling the firewall

Wired or wireless? If wireless, go wired if you can. You are getting packet loss that starts at your first hop = bad. And quite frankly, just gets even worse. How you even stay connected to the game is beyond me at this point; that's how bad your connection is.

Did you actually power cycle your router/modem? I.E. Turning them both off and unplug them for at least a minute?

If power cycling doesn't work and you are wired, try switching to a different cable. If you are wireless, you'll probably keep having issues since POE doesn't handle any sort of packet loss well because of it's netcode.

If none of the above works, contact your ISP. Tell them you are getting packet loss and it's affecting your ability to do what you want to online. Make sure that the see your MTR as that is the proof that they will need to see that something is borked.

I tried playing with a wired connection (though the MTR shows from wireless play, I could run another test wired). I have unplugged every cable from the line that plugs into the modem and router and waited several minutes.
I have google fiber and it's been unplayable for the past hour random spikes every 5-10 secs for like 15 seconds just freeze and die
Spoiler
"
MasterJeddy wrote:
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
"
MasterJeddy wrote:

I have tried:
- Disabling the firewall

"
MasterJeddy wrote:

I tried playing with a wired connection (though the MTR shows from wireless play, I could run another test wired). I have unplugged every cable from the line that plugs into the modem and router and waited several minutes.

Please run a test for me wired. That will help immensely in figuring out what's going on (whether it's a wireless issue or straight janked ISP node somewhere - Your PL jumping up from 3 to over 10/20% between your 3rd and 4th hop is really concerning).

I may not get back to you tonight. Getting late and I have to wake up stupidly early for work tomorrow.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Last edited by Aragorn14 on Oct 25, 2021, 10:34:57 PM
"
4pointt0 wrote:
I have google fiber and it's been unplayable for the past hour random spikes every 5-10 secs for like 15 seconds just freeze and die

If you want help, make your own thread with the required info after reading the stickies.

This is Master's thread to get help in

"
Aragorn14 wrote:
"
4pointt0 wrote:

If you want help, make your own thread with the required info after reading the stickies.

This is Master's thread to get help in

Playing wired now and no issues. I wonder if it's because the modem is going bad or if it was just a lot of other use on the network. If I am able to replicate the problem any more, I will. It seems that playing with a wired connection and on predictive fixed it though.
Kick ass. :)

It "could" be a modem issue. How old is it? Usually, most ISP's are willing to swap out older models for newer ones, at least mine does when I ask every few years or so as they get new models in. Could have been some heavy traffic as well eating up a crap ton of bandwidth as well.

Keep an eye on it. If something crops up again, post away and one of us lurkers will take a look see. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info