As a totem build: why does Storm Brand work with PCoC, but e.g. traps not?

I fail to see the logic behind Storm Brand being able to generate power charges, but e.g. not traps, as both are entities created by me which deal damage for me.
Last edited by Merwise on May 28, 2021, 3:47:14 AM
Last bumped on Jun 1, 2021, 7:25:01 PM
"
Merwise wrote:
I fail to see the logic behind Storm Brand being able to generate power charges, but e.g. not traps, as both are entities created by me which deal damage for me.
this is one of the strong upsides of brands. they arent separate entities dealing dmg for you, they are identical to self casting. there are other spells that work similarly, such as orb of storms and winter orb. it may seem weird but this is just how things are made
"
jewdas12 wrote:
"
Merwise wrote:
this is one of the strong upsides of brands. they arent separate entities dealing dmg for you, they are identical to self casting. there are other spells that work similarly, such as orb of storms and winter orb. it may seem weird but this is just how things are made

Which other skills are also in that murky grey-area of being considered self-casting, but the casting being done by a different entity than the player and thus being able to generate power charges?

I know of:
- Brands
- Orb of Storms
- Winter Orb
Last edited by Merwise on May 28, 2021, 4:15:47 AM
"
Merwise wrote:
"
jewdas12 wrote:
"
Merwise wrote:

Which other skills are also in that murky grey-area of being considered self-casting, but the casting being done by a different entity than the player and thus being able to generate power charges?

I know of:
- Brands
- Orb of Storms
- Winter
its not really murky Merwise its simply a design choice

Spells cast by us VS spells cast by something else that inherit our stats

you can generate charges sure but you also have to deal with reflect damage, corrupted blood, lightning mirage/mortars etc which remote skills don't. That is a decent advantage but like all things its a tradeoff.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
its not really murky Merwise its simply a design choice

Spells cast by us VS spells cast by something else that inherit our stats

you can generate charges sure but you also have to deal with reflect damage, corrupted blood, lightning mirage/mortars etc which remote skills don't. That is a decent advantage but like all things its a tradeoff.

It is murky, because logically speaking there's no difference between e.g.
- A: manually casting Storm Brand: spell gem, separate entity which itself casts a spell which does grant power charges
- B: Lightning Spire Trap: spell gem, separate entity which itself casts a spell which doesn't grant power charges

Other than "It's so just because" there's no logical explanation I can see why A works with PCoC, while B doesn't.
Last edited by Merwise on May 28, 2021, 9:08:43 AM
Why do people think there has to be a logical reason for stuff in a game? Why do bishops move diagonally? It's not Logical!
Last edited by Shagsbeard on May 28, 2021, 9:17:34 AM
"
Merwise wrote:

I know of:
- Brands
- Orb of Storms
- Winter Orb

Depending on what you interpret as "a different entity" in this context, I'd offer the following:

- Mirage Archer Support
- Hydrosphere
- Blade Vortex
- Tempest Shield
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Why do people think there has to be a logical reason for stuff in a game? Why do bishops move diagonally? It's not Logical!

You're telling me GGG e.g. made all those complex calculations on how damage is determined or offer a panel on what skill gems work with support gems, but when it comes to giving a simple hint about what skills can generate power charges with PCoC when on a totem build they deliberately drop the ball?
Last edited by Merwise on Jun 1, 2021, 11:36:25 AM
If the hit is done by you (e.g. you can take reflected damage from it, or you deal no damage when you've taken Ancestral Bond) then it can generate you power charges.

If it's done by something that isn't you - trap, mine, totem, minion, mirage - then it can't generate a power charge for you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info