Why Ultimatum?... Is POE2 coming next!!!

Hehehe, wishful thinking.
Enjoy the game!
100 proof bourbon
Last bumped on May 4, 2021, 12:50:39 PM
"
dagul23 wrote:
Hehehe, wishful thinking.
Enjoy the game!


you will have to wait 1+ (properly closer to 2+) years for that....
end of 2022 or early 2023 most likely
I'm not even giving odds on that. I think the chance that PoE goes dark isn't negligible.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I'm not even giving odds on that. I think the chance that PoE goes dark isn't negligible.


Normally I'm a fan of giving outside chances their due but come on - this goose is laying millions of dollars worth of golden eggs - no way anyones letting this die as long as that's the case.
"
innervation wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I'm not even giving odds on that. I think the chance that PoE goes dark isn't negligible.


Normally I'm a fan of giving outside chances their due but come on - this goose is laying millions of dollars worth of golden eggs - no way anyones letting this die as long as that's the case.


Yes of course. But you know damn well Tencent would prefer to have GGG out of the picture and implement the realm they control in China on a larger scale.

Also it's a bit concerning if you really read into what Chris was saying about the financial importance of league launches from his Cyberpunk delay manifesto.

We dont know what the exact profit margins are (we know gross revenue), but it seems to me they are operating on a thin line, which quite precarious.

What happens if D2R ruins a league, or if D4 is out before PoE2? I dont think it's totally out of the question that if GGG struggles with a few launches, their overall viability, comes into question.

Keep in mind I said GGG and not Tencent or PoE's IP. Again I'm sure Tencent would like nothing more than a fully controlled PoE that they can monetize and manipulate.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 4, 2021, 11:39:56 AM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
ement the realm they control in China on a larger scale.

Also it's a bit concerning if you really read into what Chris was saying about the financial importance of league launches from his Cyberpunk delay manifesto.

We dont know what the exact profit margins are (we know gross revenue), but it seems to me they are operating on a thin line, which quite precarious.



When you're open for business every day like most businesses in most industries, there is plenty of pressure, but also not the kind of pressure that GGG has. GGG are more like premiering a blockbuster movie once per quarter - and most of their sales much like the classic movie industry - happens opening weekend.

So their line isn't thin, I don't think. It's probably fat. So long as they can keep pulling the same or slightly improved numbers every league. But it's risky in ways that the daily ops businesses don't have to deal with.

If you're a restaurant and you're having a downturn there are so many dials to turn to try and get back on track (assuming you were doing well for years and are an established part of the community). New specials, new products, new branding, change the menu, change the staff, change the decor, advertising, coupons, hire local talent/live music/gimmick events. Two bad days don't break you and you have time to respond to trends.

How many bad launches (peak -40% from prior league) can GGG afford? That's why they didn't want to compete with the Cyberpunk, and that's why it is fair to be fascinated at how they'll deal with competition in the future (even from outside the genre). They need asses in those movie theater seats because the price of admission is free and they're banking on a full house buying their popcorn.

And if not, they have to wait 3 months for another crack at a 'harvest'.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info