New PoE player, RPG vet

The story is pretty silly so don't worry about it too much. Everything you (and everyone else) does that's evil will be comically over the top evil, and really can't be taken seriously.

You'll regularly fight people standing behind a mountain of their victim's corpses. it's impossible to take this with a straight face.
Украина в моём сердце
"
kaijyuu2 wrote:
The story is pretty silly so don't worry about it too much. Everything you (and everyone else) does that's evil will be comically over the top evil, and really can't be taken seriously.

You'll regularly fight people standing behind a mountain of their victim's corpses. it's impossible to take this with a straight face.

Pretty sure Whole heist lore as a mercenary fit the definition as bad guy. Even what you did is stealing something from the bad guy the Templar.

There is no lore indicate that the other factions in heists are really bad guy. (like, human experiment so that they are bad? Or just smuggler? ) Except you, the player character, trespassing and killing all the guards
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
All the heist factions you go after are generically evil in some way, aside from the robots.

Templar = authoritarian, theocratic, generic evil empire stuff
Smugglers = criminals, slave trader, etc
Experimenters = mad scientists with 0 ethics
Robots = not sentient so not worthy of empathy. (Honestly dunno who these are associated with... maybe long trap hallways with robot guards are a new fad among rich people in the setting?)

The player character is amoral rather than evil, imo. There is a difference between not caring about causing harm and actively enjoying it. None of the player characters seem to like violence for violence's sake, though the shadow and witch don't seem to mind incidental violence.
Украина в моём сердце
you guys are killing me with the good and evil.

all i know is i will do the best that i can to help those with lesser abilities cant.

Thats the best I can do
dammit, this is funny
My advice to new players:

PoE is NOT balanced.
Some stuff is just WAY better than others....WAY!

For NEWBIES, specifically for newbies, some play styles are MUCH easier than others.

Hardest is melee
Next is bow non dot
Next is spell non dot
Next is dot
Easiest is Minions.
(Remember, the above list is for newbies, if you know the game mechanics, the above list is not valid.)

This is quite different than other RPG games, which is why I mention it, as OP says they are new to PoE, but experienced in RPGs.

A newbie CAN start as a melee, but they will be playing a MUCH MUCH harder game than a dot or minion build person.

If you dont follow a guide in your first character, you WILL FAIL. I.E. come to a point you CANNOT progress.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but you must be emotionally prepared for it.
You will learn alot by such failure.

Or you can follow a guide.

The problem with following a guide, is almost all guides assume more knowledge about the game than newbies have.
Guides with "low cost" in the title, that actually cost 50 ex, because to the creator of the guide, 50 ex is "low". A newbie will be lucky to generate 3 ex in a reasonable amount of time.
(Ex stands for EXAULT orb, the high end trading currency.)

I have written a build guide specifically for newbies
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3008831

It's a necromancer minion build, Skeleton Mages.
It is not a zoom zoom dps build like the OP mentioned they wanted...BUT...zoom zoom builds are beyond newbies (realistically) for your first character, it requires too much game knowledge.

But even if you dont plan on using my guide, it has a LOT of usefull info for newbies, worth a read.

Last edited by Odif on Apr 11, 2021, 1:02:17 PM
Excellent, great info. Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info