New PoE player, RPG vet

Hi folks,

I'm about to start playing this game (I think) and I've started doing my research. I'm an OG old school DnD player, and I've played pretty much every rpg ever made. I dipped my toes in a couple of years ago and was disappointed in the graphics, etc, but I keep reading about how amazingly in-depth character development is and since I enjoy that aspect of rpg gaming so much (like Grim Dawn) I figured I would give this game a shot.

From what I've heard and read, there really is no (easy) respec available so choosing your path (see what i did there?) initially is obviously important. I will continue my research on my own but have a couple of quick questions that will help me focus my efforts.

I generally play a lawful good monkish class if at all possible. I love speed and maxxing offensive and defensive passives without having to rotate through 37 skills. Yes, I'm lazy. I don't need the UBER build, just fast, efficient and fun does me just fine.

So, what class am I aiming for here? From what I've seen Shadow seems the most obvious fit, but there's just so much I don't know about the game so I would love some input.

Thanks in advance for any advice and hopefully I will see you in game.
Last bumped on Apr 11, 2021, 2:13:23 PM
Respecing is much easier than it used to be. You'll probably not be able to afford a full respec on your first character, but once you get into the end game you'll have more than enough orbs of regret to do whatever you want.

My main advice is to not over-commit to a single character. People typically make multiple per league (just look at all the talk about "league starters"). Starting with a new character is expected and is not at all "starting from scratch" since you should have plenty of fancy gear in your stash saved up. Plus the main fun IMO is experimenting with builds.
Украина в моём сердце
So with the seasons this game has you create a new character for that season?

Thanks for the info, btw
you can always play perma league, which already has a lot of stuff to play

Also, follow a guide. Don't be the game reviewer (i think it is PC Gamer or other magazine) that spent 100 hours to finish the storyline (normally at most people spent 48 hours for a newbie , vet of this game spent less than 10 hours) and enter end game
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
Last edited by neohongkong on Apr 10, 2021, 7:52:11 PM
"
BostonStrong wrote:
So with the seasons this game has you create a new character for that season?

Thanks for the info, btw

Kind of yes.

You got 24 slots for characters by default. After that you have to either buy new slots or delete characters, which wont affect you for a long time.

The way it works over here is that there is a temporary league lasting for about 3 months (next starts roughly in a week) for both hard- and softcore.
When this temporary leagues ends all your league characters and items will be transferred over to their parent permanent leagues - again one each for hard- and softcore.

Then the next league starts and all of us start again with nothing. working our way from rags to riches all over again.
Or you keep playing the permanent ones and dont have to start over again. Thats your choice.
The only relevant difference besides this would be new mechanics, which will always be introduced in temporary leagues and more often than not will go core after the temp league ended at which point this mechanics will be available in permanent leagues as well, but watered down.

Most players will participate in temp leagues, which is why permanent leagues can feel kind of empty and depopulated by comparison.
However none of that really matters for a beginner. The more players are available, the easier it is to trade for stuff though.

Oh and stuff like morale doesnt exist in PoE.
We are all at least semi-evil cutthroats and got exiled (as in left to die) for a reason ;)
None of us are good or pure by any stretch of the imagination.

For starters Id recommend to check this Forum or Youtube for starter builds. Those are pretty easy to pull off but might reach their ceiling fairly quickly, which shouldnt bother you at all.
Just make sure those build guides are up-to-date. Everything in this game is subjected to constant changes and nothing lasts forever. So keep that in mind choose wisely.

Good luck and stay sane exile
actually starter build ages well, such as KB wander. It just reach the ceiling very easily due to lack of multiple dipping of "more damage multiplier" sources

The use a combo of skill and game mechanic or multiple unique items are usually not a starter build so that it often affect by GGG nerf or even axed the whole build (forever remember Zerphi flask build that may be a bot can handle it)
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

Wow, some amazing replies already, looks like you guys have a great community. I'll start a character and see how it goes, hopefully I get hooked!

Thanks again, peeps. Much appreciated.

EDIT - on morality... I have serious issues, I have to play as the good guy, I literally can't play evil, which is why Tyranny is sitting unplayed in my Steam account. ISSUES!!!!
Last edited by BostonStrong on Apr 10, 2021, 8:14:47 PM
Most of the time the character is accidentally do a good thing. (and spoiler, the NPC will start to remind you will you became evil when playing too much end-game Atlas)

While the lore of heist (a side content) seems indicate that it is purely mercenary and the client is clearly selfish to ask the player to kill client's rival

"
BostonStrong wrote:

EDIT - on morality... I have serious issues, I have to play as the good guy, I literally can't play evil, which is why Tyranny is sitting unplayed in my Steam account. ISSUES!!!!

Well its a thin line between good and evil isnt it? :)

You can try to act good, but sometimes you will have to make rough choice form a morale point of view. Someone might suffer from your actions, whether you wanted or intended it or not.

There isnt much black and white in this world.
Its just a whole lot different shades of grey
"
I have to play as the good guy, I literally can't play evil

@OP...don't worry about this. In the story there is probably only one decision you have to make, and it's not much of a moral dilemma.

You will kill a lot of stuff in this game, but all of it would kill you first if you let it. It's just a nasty world. There are plenty of difficult decisions, but they have to do with trade-offs in your build mechanics, not your ethical framework.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info