XP loss possible solution while keeping death penalty

- I posted this as a response in one of the threads

The solution to death penalty can be seen... in a game I will not name. They introduced that because you cannot forsee all possible monster mods and the same game has Hardcore play.

Make a gem... Call it second chance and what it does is as follows:
If you receive hit that would reduce your HP below 0, reduce it to 1% instead.
You gain imunity to damage for 1 second.
Cooldown 120 seconds (Can be 10 min for what I care)

This way you still have death penalty for those rush guys and you have safty net for HC players or ppl who don't like to loose XP. It is up to you to use it or not if you have gem slots to spare... if you like death penalty, just don't use the gem...

Problem solved (I mean for unavoidable one-shots)
Last edited by Alhanna on Mar 1, 2021, 10:00:53 AM
Last bumped on Mar 2, 2021, 3:00:21 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
will not happen, we had a weaker version of something like this (pre nerf Immortal Call) - it was mandatory for almost every build.
Biggest compliments for my crafted items - "bs, they must have been RMT'ed"

I'm disabled, I have rare case of semperduravera, so I can write things that may look rude, but it is because of disability - I'm forced to tell truth using words you may not like.
Immortal Call is meant to be used for damage mitigation, and I don't know the pre-nerfed state of the gem, but it's not the same.

This game would not used for damage mitigation but for preventing getting one-shot out of the blue. If you put 10 min cooldown it can be used one time per instance. But even that one time would be sufficient for most of the players who get pissed about one-shots.
Maybe such solutions would make the game more appealing to some, not for me though. It's the realization that when I'm tired and I'd like to grind some xp for my characters, I'm more inclined to turn off the game and go do something else. Problem is, lately I've felt more and more so.

The reason behind this is pretty simple: when I'm tired I'd like to relax playing a game, but the game won't allow me to do it unless I'm willing to sink on xp floor and stop leveling up. Unless you have godly gear, you need to stay alert, and changes to Atlas have also effectively made even more suprises availabe each map. It's basically old argument I've made that GGG for some curious reasons wants to shove HC league down everyones throat whether they'd actually rather play SC or not. It's a matter of taste but I bet there are other casuals who think as I do. The possibility of wasting your game time due to death (in a game which already wastes plenty of players time on every account) is absolutely demoralizing and psychologically punitive to some players. So why do something stressful, if you want to relax, then?

I've seen how this goes. There are other players who have a whole different mindset and they couldn't give two f*cks about what I think, basically saying I'm playing the game 'wrong'. I've taken it as a note, players such as myself aren't welcomed here and PoE is not meant for us.
Last edited by vmt80 on Mar 1, 2021, 11:51:25 AM
I am always down for fun ideas and this is actually quite an intriguing one.

The main problem would likely be that the drawback is not big enough.
The described function is to prevent the player from dying and that is one seriously big positive, so the drawback should be equally huge.

The gem should consume 10% of the players current level xp while equipped.
The gem gets xp first instead of the player until it is filled or removed.
Once it has reached this threshold the skill would become available and autocast when life reaches less than 1%.
In this way the player has paid for the death in the same way you do right now in softcore.

This would make it increasingly costly to use the higher your level and would deter most from even considering its use.
It is very likely this would not be possible or something ggg would consider, but i do find this to be a fascinating concept.
Or, you know, don't push 98+ on corpse thrower builds.
Synthesised Synthesis of Synthetic Synthesising
-----------------------------------------------
Revert 3.7 melee changes | Tfw Synthesis still not core | REVERT SUNDER
-----------------------------------------------
IGN: JustineㆍFlorbelle [Removed by Support] imagine being a forum janitor lmao
I am done with this game.

I was one shot by random vaal area boss. I have 10k ehp, max all resist, & chaos, level 22 vaal molten shell active, & the same one shot that killed me killed 75% of my minion with 40K life pool each!

There is no life pool & defense that can mitigate such damage. & the one shot isn't even those designed one-shot mechanic, just an attack or whatever since I never see it coming.

How do you defend this BS.

The leveling process to rach the next level at the high 90s are so unenjoyable. Worse than visiting dentist. I almost cried when I saw the death screen....hours of lost progress.

I think I playe last Epoch & D3 until D2R hits. The character customization & itemization is not worth the unenjoyable gameplay & stress.

Game is suppose to be fun, & this game is more stress & feel like work with the BS trading, discord, than fun for me.
Last edited by kiadaw on Mar 2, 2021, 4:22:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info