Kinda new, need some advice.

Love the game, it's a lot of fun. I've been following the assassin skill tree and my question is about the equipment and gem stats.

I'm new to this type of genre, although I have a lot of hours clocked on Diablo I find the mix of gems, equipment and magic qualities to be overwhelming.

Does anyone have some straight forward basics that I could apply to picking/sorting equipment? For example, should I be selling everything for the most part? Is most gear just going to be replaced a few levels away? Are there some types of gear I shouldn't ever let go of?

Thanks to anyone that has some advice. I've watched some recent Twitch stream like Cohh, they are in a place with their gear that I cannot fathom yet.
M-
Last bumped on Jan 28, 2021, 5:45:31 PM
"
TenSekondTom wrote:
Love the game, it's a lot of fun. I've been following the assassin skill tree and my question is about the equipment and gem stats.

I'm new to this type of genre, although I have a lot of hours clocked on Diablo I find the mix of gems, equipment and magic qualities to be overwhelming.

Does anyone have some straight forward basics that I could apply to picking/sorting equipment? For example, should I be selling everything for the most part? Is most gear just going to be replaced a few levels away? Are there some types of gear I shouldn't ever let go of?

Thanks to anyone that has some advice. I've watched some recent Twitch stream like Cohh, they are in a place with their gear that I cannot fathom yet.
M-

Firstly, your profile is set to private (by default) and we cannot view your characters, therefore we won't be able to give you the best advice.

What skill are you using?
What are you wanting to achieve with your character?
What level are you?

Yes most gear while leveling will be replaced quickly as you find it or craft it..for the average player anyway.
Thank you for the response, I've opened my profile.

The Level 17 Shadow is the profile I'm currently focused on.
M-
Start here, hope you like reading :P

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2904737

Youtuber 'Zizarian' has a series called PoE academy with long videos about lots of things too.
A loot filter will help. Neversink is a good option if you don't have one.

You will want to upgrade your weapon roughly every 10 levels since you are attack based. (Even assuming you go poison, the poison will be scaling off the base damage.) Of course, if you get lucky, you might find/buy something that will last you longer.

Other items will be less important during the first 5 acts, but you should be looking for more life and ele resists as you go. You lose 30% of each ele resist after act 5, and you really want to be as close to capped (75%) as possible going into acts 6-10.

300 life per act is also a good number to shoot for.

For acts 6-10 the focus is more on getting all gear to 3L and 4L, and getting a 5L for main skill, while continuing to boost your life and resists.

You won't be constantly upgrading your gear, but you want to keep your eyes out for stuff that is clearly an upgrade. You'll get better and faster at spotting it with time. And you should also learn about basic crafting - especially the bench and veiled mods.
Last edited by GreyLensman on Jan 28, 2021, 5:47:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info