Significant Latency Spikes

Hi,

I've been having some trouble with playing Path of Exile since the launch of the Ritual league.

Very frequently while playing the game, my client latency will spike on the telemetry graph and the graphical elements will freeze from anywhere between 250ms to several seconds. The game appears to continue to receive player input while the screen is frozen and will suddenly display all actions taken in a burst of activity once the latency spike has ended. This happens often enough to be disruptive to gameplay that I feel uncomfortable attempting to map.

I am based in the suburbs of Chicago and connected to the Washington D.C. server as suggested by the automatic server selector. My internet connection appears stable in all other applications and I do not have any reason to believe it to be an issue with the ISP.

My hardware specs are:
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363 (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
- Memory: 32768MB RAM
- Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

More hardware details can be provided upon request.

I have recorded a short video demonstrating the issue occurring both inside my hideout and inside a map:
https://youtu.be/F5VlXEMmJDA

Attempted Resolutions:
- Uninstall and Re-Download the Path of Exile Client via Steam
- Restart Modem & Router
- Toggle renderer between DX 11 and Vulkan
- Reduce Graphics Fidelity in the Options Menu

I'd really like to know if there is some investigation into these issues as there are a number of threads with similar problems. I've been trying to enjoy the league as best I can given the circumstances, but attempting to push harder content on a Hardcore character with the amount of latency described is all but impossible without certain death.

Normally, I'd chalk up an issue like this to early league jitters, but after about a week I would have expected player numbers to level more consistently and server load to decrease. I saw the announcement at league launch addressing issues with the database being unable to keep up with player load and understand that there might not be a quick fix.

I'm not looking for immediate answers, just an acknowledgement that there is an issue and that someone will look into it. If there is other data or tests I can provide to help, please let me know.

Thanks for your time and making a wonderful game!

Edit (2/27):
I stopped playing the game for a few weeks to see if the issues would resolve themselves. They haven't. I did a WinMTR to the Washington login server and saw the following results:

https://pastebin.com/PL3QkbfZ

It would appear that approx 12% of the packets are lost by the PoE servers. I don't know what an acceptable amount of packet loss would entail but given the <13ms average latency at each hop and zero packet loss anywhere else in the chain, I can't see anything that would be causing my network issues. Not sure if anyone from GGG will see this, but if others are still experiencing this frustrating latency issue, you can follow the steps in this post to also perform a traceroute to your preferred PoE server:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361292

Edit 2 (3/9):
As of 3.13.1e, I am no longer experiencing the latency issues I've described above. I'm glad whatever problem was going on got fixed, but also a little disappointed in the lack of official response in the thread especially given that there doesn't seem to be any other way to receive support. It's too bad I missed a ton of Ritual League but at least I can get back in there and enjoy the Gauntlet race.
Last edited by Chazuke on Mar 9, 2021, 5:46:19 PM
Last bumped on May 30, 2021, 2:47:39 PM
Ive done the exact same thing cant figure it out! very Frustrating
Yeah, its been driving me nuts! Hopefully it is just the database issue or high player numbers and the it will be resolved soon.
Seeing same thing but it started today. Latency spikes to 383ms every few seconds and then it will hit a 680ms spike. Makes it near impossible to play since it can take a second or two just to grab a wisdom scroll from the ground. Forget about dodging anything.
I've not had the issues all league, but as of today i've had terrible latency. We're talking desyncs like its 2012 at worst and constant latency spikes to 393 at best. Actually unplayable and idk how people deal with this usually. lol
Its happening to me after the patch today. The game has become unplayable.
Same, im assuming it has to do with ryzen cpu, they did something with this patch. Nothing to do but wait for a resolution.
Same here, this issue started Day 3 of the Ritual league.
Same issue - unexpecting latency spikes and disconnects, game unplayable. Started about 2 days ago.
Yep, pretty unplayable for me. I just played an hour off of prime time to see if it might be better, but if anything, it was worse! Been talking to a bunch of people I know and it seems like there's plenty of folks having a buttery smooth experience.

Past leagues have been fine for me, but this league it seems like once I've joined any map after logging in every single session goes to crap.

Interestingly enough, before getting in a map, running around in my hideout is nice and smooth, even if my latency graph looks a little sketch. Once I enter a a map, though, it's stuttery garbage, even after hopping back to my hideout.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info