We're continuing to share backstories of Divination Cards' creation by our supporters. This time we spoke with nasaboy007 about the story behind the Tumbleweed, a Divination Card from the Harvest expansion.

This card was for my two best friends' first wedding anniversary. I met them many years ago, back when they were still dating and lived separately. He lived in an apartment that was a stereotypical bachelor pad - no furniture and no decoration. Our group of friends, consisting of four bachelors, lovingly nicknamed that apartment "The Wasteland" because of how desolate and destitute it looked on the inside.

One day, my friend was walking home when he came across a tumbleweed on the side of the road. It was an unusual sight in the middle of a suburban area, and so he immediately decided to make it the new centerpiece of his living room to help reinforce the "wasteland" theme. Of course, this was appalling to his girlfriend (now wife), and it was sadly the first thing to go when they later moved in together. Now they own a lovely home together and have been happily married for over a year, but the tumbleweed will always live on in our memories.

The artwork and flavortext is a reference to her "saving" him from The Wasteland; most of the bachelors in the wasteland group would have continued their lifestyles if they hadn't met their current partners. The tumbleweed in the artwork of my divination card specifically has a few people wrapped up and trapped in its tendrils, representing how it keeps the bachelors, with my friend being closest to the outside as his wife saves him from it. I wanted the poses to draw inspiration from Michaelangelo's Creation of Adam since I felt it was appropriate for the overall motif of the card.

Since this was a surprise gift, I wanted to give them a physical representation of the card too, and so I decided to also take a shot at teaching myself vector graphics to design a card back. I was very happy with the result and so I got physical cards printed up with the front and back, framed them, and gave it as a physical token of the gift to my friends.

My friend was the one who introduced me to Path of Exile many years ago, and we still play every league together, taking the Friday off from work and blocking off our entire weekends from other commitments to play the new expansion. Being able to create a divination card that referenced the Wasteland Map and leave our mark on a game that has such personal significance to the both of us was too good an opportunity to pass up.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
dank
dank
What a lovely story. Thankyou for sharing with us :)
😹😹😹😹😹
I do not and will not use TFT.
Gaming Granny :D
🐢🐢🐢🪲🪲🪲
Last edited by xjjanie on Dec 6, 2020, 4:08:40 PM
I love these stories. Makes me think about cards I would usually disregard.
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
Love these stories. Now when are we gonna hear some 3.13 or 4.0 news?
Still waiting for MTX preview
nice story! love how a daily situation become part of the game now xD
I think most of us gamers identify with this situation :D

Nice one, thanks for sharing!!
"There's no thing like random one-shots in this game. You only die because you take 353,456,237 hits in 0.2 seconds."

"The best items in the game should not be crafted, they should be TRADED." - Cent, GGG
This must be one of the best stories I have ever read, FeelsStrongMan!
just another card i have my filter ignore...... stories on good cards would be nice tho
I got a fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell!
UMMMMM only the 'feminine touch?'

REEeeEEeeEe D:(

lolol
Last edited by Deus_Vitae on Dec 6, 2020, 6:00:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info