Fire Damage vs. Spell Damage to Totems

I use two flame totems, and while 6% more fire damage passive gives me like 30 more dps, a 5% spell damage passive gives me only 2 points in dps. So, is there a difference in spell and fire damage, beyond fire damage being more specific? And if spell damage does not apply to totems, why do I still get 2dps from this passive? And while I'm here I'd like to ask another question, if I do physical damage with a sword and get a 18% more physical damage passive, do it increase the damage exactly in the same amount as if I had gotten a 18% more sword damage? Or is there any advantage in getting a more specific damage modifier?
5% increased spell damage, increases whatever spell damage modiifiers you already have
5% increased fire damage, increases whatever fire damage modiifiers you already have

so bascially, if you have 30% spell damage bonus already, and get 5% more, thats 35% spell damage increase which is essentially a 35/30 = 16% boost to your damage

if you have 150% spell damage and you get 5% more, 155%/150% = 3.3% boost to your damage.

essentially its diminishing returns so by the sound of it, you already have spell damge on your gear so the fire damage increase is more effective.
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
So I imagine it's true for weapons too, what makes all my builds wrong. I thought 5% plus in damage was always the same amount, unless they are multiplicative. Like if a do 150 damage having 50% more physical damage, and get more 5% physical damage I should do 155 damage, 100+55%. The same is true if I get more 5% sword damage, my damage should increase to 155, even if they are separated, like 100dmg+55%phy+5%swr=155. If they are multiplicative, so it should be 100dmg+50%dmg=150dmg+5%swr=157,5. I read somewhere in this forum that % is not multiplicative, but it's not simply somative either. Depending on how it works probably all my builds are wrong, because I thought +18% physical damage would be the same as +18% sword damage and so on, but I'm starting to realize it's not, that is a reason for getting specific weapon bonus, as elemental bonus beyond simply increasing a somative value.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info