What good is Projectile Speed?

I'm kind of a new player and in the game right now, I've been offered a Support Gem that increases projectile speed for my Ranger. Does this increase damage? Or is it perhaps more useful for PvP so enemies don't dodge your abilities as easily?
It doesn't do much for arrow-based skills right now, since arrows aren't really handled like physical projectiles. They're currently handled more like remote melee hits, meaning you can't manually dodge them by moving out of their flight path. I believe it's planned that arrows eventually become physical objects that can be dodged at a distance if the target moves out of the way.

Faster Projectiles (the support gem) and the passives that increase projectile speed work very well on projectile spells like Fireball and Ice Spear, making it much harder to manually dodge them.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
It is also usable as a cheap (but minor) arrow damage booster. Currently I have it linked to a Frenzy skill for more dakka.
Unavailable
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
It is a minor point, but faster projectiles should also decrease the delay on rain of arrows.
While the skill itself is kind of pointless for Ranger
(although i HAVE seen a small monkey boss fast enough to dodge my arrow shots), there is an added attack speed benefit to the gem if it has quality on it, as seen here:

Unavailable
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
It totally seems like a PvP gem, I bet we'll really see it in use on the cutthroat servers.
PvP for sure, a super fast character could easily dodge a regular speed arrow.
"
I'm kind of a new player and in the game right now, I've been offered a Support Gem that increases projectile speed for my Ranger. Does this increase damage? Or is it perhaps more useful for PvP so enemies don't dodge your abilities as easily?
It increases the range of limited-duration projectiles such as Freezing Pulse and Ethereal Knives, by allowing them to travel farther in the same amount of time.
"
Syntinen wrote:
It is a minor point, but faster projectiles should also decrease the delay on rain of arrows.

No because if they were faster it would mean they have more force applied they would shoot higher since gravity would take longer for them to reverse their course, so if anything it would be longer.

However it would make sense if it took longer AND did more dmg, kind of like how you fire a gun straight in the air it comes back down as fast as it left the barrel almost.

If proj speed effected piercing or effective range or damage vs armor that could be a neat feature.

It doesn't have to make sense; mechanics dictate that Projectile Speed decreases the time it takes for Rain of Arrows to land, and as such it does.
(nice necro though, I guess. :P )
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 16, 2013, 8:10:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info