Linux Performance Issues on Proton [Solved]

The following will get you up and running on Ubuntu:

Spoiler
It works better than Win10 and Win7 in Linux Currently.

You will need to install:
DXVK
gamemode (nvidia optimisations)

My Full Launch Command from steam is as follows:
"

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgamemodeauto.so.0 __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATION=1 __GL_SHADER_CACHE=1 DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0 PROTON_NO_GLSL=1 PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 RADV_PERFTEST=aco PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% --waitforpreload --noasync --nodx9ex --gc2 --nologo

"

RADV_PERFTEST=aco

Is an AMD optimisation just remove it when using Intel.

The first three options require you to install "gamemode" and are Nvidia specific options that will remove your steam overlay in game which can be a problem if you use a single monitor. If you don't want them the full line is as follows:

For AMD arch's.
"

DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0 PROTON_NO_GLSL=1 PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 RADV_PERFTEST=aco PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% --waitforpreload --noasync --nodx9ex --gc2 --nologo

For Intel arch's.
"

DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0 PROTON_NO_GLSL=1 PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% --waitforpreload --noasync --nodx9ex --gc2 --nologo

With these options game play should be buttery smooth and better than windows with the occasional stutter due to texture loading experienced on some but not all systems.

In game tweaks:

Additionally I would disable VSYNC and set your framerate to the desired framerate.

Additionally I got rid of dynamic resolution and this turned out to be a performance gain for me however, these tweaks are a bit extreme and other people have reported that you can set the in game options to whatever you want and still get the right performance. I use flicker strike and wanted to get rid of the stutter and I have an incredibly high attack speed with a sub-optimal build so I'm pretty much everywhere.

Thanks to gab9281 on steam for his help with performance testing and Nvidia optimisations.

It's the results of a study I've done on both Lutris and Proton (current). Both lutris and proton were about the same so therefore by default proton wins out for me as the solution as it's a lot less hassle.

Thank you very much to the proton development team for your continuous support for Linux gamers and GGG for PoE.

Problems Outstanding:

Didn't work in windowed mode for me but windowed fullscreen works just fine.

Final Notes:

Happy for you to list any further optimisations, queries or feedback in the thread.

THANKS! and happy PoE on Linux.
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2023, 6:46:24 PM
How do you know if someone is a linux gamer? Don't worry, they'll tell you
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
should post this in: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/234
since it's related and useful information.
Working great thank you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info