Question about tanking

I'd be interested to know just how much hp, mitigation, and avoidance is required to be able to tank chaos reliably? I realize there probably aren't any absolute values, but I'd like to get a general idea before I plan my build.
Whatever someone tell you - it will not be enough.
O
/|\
/ \ <--<<
My advice: Don't try too hard stacking armour, after 3-4k armour, stack as much HP and regen as you could possibly can. With a decent ammount of HP, resist doesnt even need to be maxed.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
If you are going to tank, Troll's Blood and Diamond Skin are VERY important nodes.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
aelvul wrote:
Whatever someone tell you - it will not be enough.

this! :P

at least not until you get to like level 75 or so...

i'd say this build would be a good tank as a marauder (with shield):
chaos tank lvl 75

with 23 points left

the question is - do you want to sacrifice all the potential damage to be able to tank chaos reliably?
Shit I meant to mention Golum's Blood in my post, and realized from your post that I didn't.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
4k of HP or ES.

Near full resists.

Armor modded Granite flask spam. Have 2-3 of something like
Unavailable

Should keep you alive. Grace aura provides some very nice evasion also.

EDIT: You shouldn't actually need 4k HP, apparently people can tank fine with 2k+ and massive quantities of armor.

Keeping up Endurance charges is mandatory of course if you have less HP.

Last edited by aimlessgun on Apr 17, 2012, 4:04:17 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I "tanked" Chaos easily on my level 60 Marauder with 2.2k health and 90% damage reduction.

Using Molten Shell with Life Leech though, helps a lot.
IGN: KaboomCrimsonEye
Chaos is extremely easy to tank reliably if that is what you want your char to do. Just focus on defensive passives and hp boosting passives, and do the same for your gear. If you have room for Grace, throw it on top of your crazy HP and armor for even MORE effective HP.
Granite flask is optional by that point. Also, if you get lots of % regen you won't even need HP pots either.

You won't be able to kill very fast though, I recommend playing with a party or leveling up molten shell spell.
Last edited by visibiliti on Apr 18, 2012, 12:24:24 PM
Thank you for the replies. Since energy shield was mentioned above I have to ask, would an energy shield tank with Chaos Inoculation be viable? I think it would be really cool if it was, it's just that unless I'm wrong, energy shield doesn't regenerate in combat, not to mention that there aren't any potions for it. Hmm, I might have just answered my own question there. ;)
Last edited by Teaboar on Apr 18, 2012, 2:20:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info