Unlocking higher difficulties

So, most of you are probably too young to remember this, but Back In The Day (tm), games experimented with text-based copy protection. They'd ask you things like "what's the 4th word on page 12 in the manual?", but sometimes they'd ask you questions about the game. The epitome of this was Leisure Suit Larry's age verification questions, http://www.allowe.com/Larry/1questions.htm , which were basically a series of cultural references that only baby boomer Americans would get (and this was before the web, so there was no easy way to cheat).

How this is relevant:

I've played a *LOT* of action RPGs. I find PoE very easy at the base difficulty level.

I think (half-joking) we should have a series of verification questions to allow new players to unlock higher difficulties from the start.

Sample questions:

In Titan Quest, what percentage of voice actors have accents appropriate to their country and apparent race? (answer: 0%)

Is the main quest in Guild Wars an exception to the rule that the Vizier is always evil in fiction? (answer: no, but you have to have completed the whole main quest to know that)

You are trying to impress a woman with your Diablo 2 exploits. You don't mind lying, but you want it to be believable. How many SoJs do you claim to have found: 1, 6, or 18? (answer: either 1 or "you can't impress a woman that way", depending on how snarky the devs are feeling)

-Robin
Since we're on the internet it would take less than one minute for all the answers to be posted online on some forum. I do remember that kind of DRM though, tons of games on my Amiga 1200 used it, absolute pain every time I wanted to play my F1 game having to dig out the manual for it.
IGN: Kemicleave, Kemiranger
LOL Amiga pride! :D

Anyways, yes, obviously it wouldn't *actually work*, but for someone with real ARPG experience the base difficulty is a little ridiculous.

Mostly I was going for lulz.

-Robin
You should probably check the Beta Manifesto section first, anyway here's part of your answer: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20071
Sweeping Maid

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info