Being killed by something you cannot see is not challenging.

"
Baron01 wrote:
I appreciate how much more polished PoE is compared to Wolcen.

That's an interesting (and startling, to be honest) statement, since PoE is not renowned for being polished.

Can you be more specific?
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:

That's an interesting (and startling, to be honest) statement, since PoE is not renowned for being polished.

I haven't played Wolcen. I hear it has potential but is still very new, very buggy and not yet very balanced. I was told to wait at least another month before playing it.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:

Polished, complete, well-rounded. Pick whatever word resonates more with you. Do not confuse this with how happy are players with the directions of the game though.

Wolcen has few interesting ideas, new and flashy visuals but there is so much imbalanced, confusing or outright dysfunctional parts in the game that switching to PoE makes me appreciate PoE a lot more. Wolcen's end-game is also extremely repetitive and bare-bones. Again, comparing it to years of content that is now crammed into PoE makes a jarring difference.

I admit that my character in Wolcen is amateurish attempt to build a bow character. My Po bow bleed gladiator is polished and geared character that I enjoy playing.

I still enjoy Wolcen for what it really is, a distraction, a time killer until next challenge league comes, or Doom Eternal releases.

I agree with this fair point. When people ask to make the game more challenging I doubt being one-shotted without a telegraph or some sort of telling feature is what they mean (it's certainly not how I'd ask for more challenge in the game).
I feel like PoE is kind of the World of Warcraft of ARPGs. Because it's had longer development than Wolcen or Last Epoch, so many people just say, "Well, <enter new game here> is just a less polished version."

In some ways, sure. It's impossible to release a game with the level of content that a 7-8 year old game has.

However, the "other" ARPGs have many things going for them that POE is standing firm on never having.

The biggest one for me is telegraphed moves. Big ol' one-shots should have significant telegraphs, and while POE did change that for the better with bosses recently, rare mobs (and good lord, Metamorphs) can still shotgun or 1-shot from offscreen with no way of knowing.

Wolcen uses the old, "red lines/circles/etc on the ground" as telegraphs. Even in a big fight with tons of adds, you can STILL see these markings and dodge out of the way.

I have yet to get 1-shot in Wolcen (after about 40-50 hours) without knowing I messed up. I'll take occasional game crashes, having to play offline, and an end-game that feels half baked, but still has some interesting mechanics. I'll take those things all day over a game that's been released for multiple years and still makes no sense sometimes.

It's all about what's important to you in a game. Some people are fine with the current state of PoE. I've decided to step away because the problems with the game make me not want to play it more than the problems with other games.

Anyone that argues with the "other side" on anything just has a different set of values they look for in a game. Just play what feels good and you have fun with, it's not that hard :D
Last edited by Redthorne82 on Feb 20, 2020, 2:31:29 PM
"
Redthorne82 wrote:
I feel like PoE is kind of the World of Warcraft of ARPGs. Because it's had longer development than Wolcen or Last Epoch, so many people just say, "Well, <enter new game here> is just a less polished version."

In some ways, sure. It's impossible to release a game with the level of content that a 7-8 year old game has.

However, the "other" ARPGs have many things going for them that POE is standing firm on never having.

The biggest one for me is telegraphed moves. Big ol' one-shots should have significant telegraphs, and while POE did change that for the better with bosses recently, rare mobs (and good lord, Metamorphs) can still shotgun or 1-shot from offscreen with no way of knowing.

Wolcen uses the old, "red lines/circles/etc on the ground" as telegraphs. Even in a big fight with tons of adds, you can STILL see these markings and dodge out of the way.

I have yet to get 1-shot in Wolcen (after about 40-50 hours) without knowing I messed up. I'll take occasional game crashes, having to play offline, and an end-game that feels half baked, but still has some interesting mechanics. I'll take those things all day over a game that's been released for multiple years and still makes no sense sometimes.

It's all about what's important to you in a game. Some people are fine with the current state of PoE. I've decided to step away because the problems with the game make me not want to play it more than the problems with other games.

Anyone that argues with the "other side" on anything just has a different set of values they look for in a game. Just play what feels good and you have fun with, it's not that hard :D

On what you said on development time, I agree and feel like some people are just stupid. POE has been around about a decade, with lots of fuckups, fix patches, balance etc, and in 2020 there is still the world of feedback/complaints from players.

It literally took YEARS to fix desync and I don't know if some of these GGG dickriders are just new and ignorant of the game's history tbh.

Wolcen just launched and they have issues. ok. Give them about nine years and shit will get better.
"
Baron01 wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:

Polished, complete, well-rounded. Pick whatever word resonates more with you. Do not confuse this with how happy are players with the directions of the game though.

Wolcen has few interesting ideas, new and flashy visuals but there is so much imbalanced, confusing or outright dysfunctional parts in the game that switching to PoE makes me appreciate PoE a lot more. Wolcen's end-game is also extremely repetitive and bare-bones. Again, comparing it to years of content that is now crammed into PoE makes a jarring difference.

I admit that my character in Wolcen is amateurish attempt to build a bow character. My Po bow bleed gladiator is polished and geared character that I enjoy playing.

I still enjoy Wolcen for what it really is, a distraction, a time killer until next challenge league comes, or Doom Eternal releases.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I kind of feel the same way in reverse: I still enjoy PoE for what it really is, a distraction, a time killer that's good to play while drinking and doesn't require much thought or skill. I still play it!

For me, Wolcen's advantage over PoE is that the combat mechanics are far more fun. You actually see what you are going to kill before you kill it. You have an incentive to manually dodge during ordinary combat.

In short, I feel like I am included in the process of combat. In PoE I feel largely excluded. Even (amazingly) while playing melee.

With respect to the thread, every time I die I KNOW why I died, and what I need to do differently next time not to die. This is such a basic and fundamental facet of game design; I really think GGG should be embarrassed to have allowed it to conquer them so thoroughly.

It also helps that Wolcen didn't crash once while playing it, despite its reputation for bugginess. PoE crashes so often that I started counting the crashes, just for fun. 56 crashes this league.

Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

With respect to the thread, every time I die I KNOW why I died, and what I need to do differently next time not to die. This is such a basic and fundamental facet of game design; I really think GGG should be embarrassed to have allowed it to conquer them so thoroughly.

In regards to Wolcen, I just reach a stage where I again can get 1-shot by some attacks, most of them telegraphs but I have randomly died without any telegraphed warning. I can also 1-hko myself against those shield templar dudes, which is extremely stupid because I can fire my skill them them and they put up their shield just before it lands. Fun times, especially in the third map of an expedition :)

In PoE, I have now switched to my necromancer I have previously leveled to 70s since I have completed my Atlas and killed Sirus 8 on my bow bleed gladiator. If I ever was complaining about visual clutter before, oh boy, necromance with just zombies, specters and golem are totally blowing my visual perception. I honestly can not see shit and the only luck is that the character is extremely tanky and in addition nothing lives long enough to seriously threaten me so far. On a bright side, since I can not see shit I clear maps in 3 minutes and run around 200mil/hour in T7 maps at lvl85.
I agree if I was super Tanky build some time out of nowhere you just die and have no idea how
One of the suckiest parts of the game, log would help like in rpgs, but i guess that would be too much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info