My problem with POE, halp plz!

Hi,
Ive been playing off and on for several years, only within the last year really putting in time.

The problem Ive always had with POE is mapping and map drops. I understand that by completing maps/map bonuses you increases your chance to drop +1 tier map. I understand that magic monsters have the chance to drop +1 and rares +2. I understand that in order to have Map A drop (that I have not completed) I need to run map B that is connected to it.

The problem is, that this doesnt happen in reality for me. Scratching and clawing my way into red maps, I might have 1 of each map. If I have one that is connected to an uncompleted map, I am grateful and lucky. I run that map, and the connected uncompleted map does not drop. And then I am SOL again...how to progress my atlas...?

Sure you can say go back a tier or two and farm up, but the problem is that I am, at this point, lvl 87-88-89 and I feel like its an utter waste of time and xp to run lvl 77 maps or something, just to build that pool +1 tier up, then to run that and have that pool+ 1 drop...

How do people do this?

At this point in the league, I am about 180 hours and 9 characters in. Im about to call it quits this league (until the next) because I am so far off from spawning awakener and seeing any true endgame content (16 watch stones btw). I know that even if I knew precisely what to do, I am looking at another 20 hours or more of grind until I have a small chance at a baby awakener spawn.

tdlr: Ive always had trouble building and sustaining map pool (a common issue in POE) and Im getting burnt out this league just grinding maps and re-rolling because I know I wont see awakener without another several dozen hours played.

This happens every league, and then I stop playing for weeks or months.

Am I alone here? Or does the majority of the playerbase experience the same problem?
Last bumped on Jan 20, 2020, 4:37:07 AM
Buy maps.

Or

Run pumped out lower tier maps to build up a base before progressing. An alch is good for a white map, but eventually you'll need chisels and vaals.
do you complete map bonuses?

each map bonus completed adds 1% chance to sustain a map of the same tier or higher ; or so i was told.

not completing bonuses would gimp your ability to sustain, i think.
Last edited by teksuoPOE on Jan 19, 2020, 12:49:11 PM
Yes I complete map bonuses up to red and I try to do so at red. Im in T12/13, buying maps is getting expensive.

Im around 118/156 (whatever the max is)
"
cesmode wrote:

How do people do this?

Hi, start doing some of the following:

- add atziri fragments to your mapdevice
- add scarabs
- use sextants and roll for anything providing more mobs
- delve to 200+ and clear vaal outposts/cities/chambers
- buy zana maps for completion bonus if possible
- run zana daily missions and pick maps for completion if possible and also a free map of the roughly the same tier for more drop chances
- chisel maps before rolling them
- vaal maps every now and then for crazy 8mod maps, those are usually the good ones
- use harbinger orbs to get higher tier maps or roll a beachhead

You dont have to do all of this at the same time. Applying 3-4 per maprun should be good enough. Its a long haul though, dont expect instant crazy outcomes.
The higher the packsize of your map and the more additional mobs you add via scarabs or sextants the more opportunities for maps drops will be generated.
Thats the rough gameplan and also provides more xp and item drops in general.

Cheers
One thing I heard from Zizaran's Atlas guide is that Rare mobs are now +1.
I alch maps from T6 and up and use Vaal orbs on T13+
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Rare mobs have been +1 for years. Uniques like rogue exiles and bosses give +2, rarely.
For me, map sustain was never problem this league, it's actually the most maps I have since I start playing.

Here's the map I collected just running 679 maps in total. I also got some maps from delve, Tane's lab & only traded less than 15 maps for unique map completion & map completion that never drop for me. I never run Alva, for personal reason though you can also get more maps from the temple.

I got 150/154 completion bonus & 132/154 Awakening bonus.

This is the only guide I followed:

When you reach T8+, you can also use sextants in all watchstone you socketed on the region your running & Zana mods if you have the currency. I know for some it might be a waste because might not get back all those investment, but for me T8 to T14, is where you really need to invest to get to T14+.

For me the struggle also begins from T9 to T13, this is the part where you also getting your watchstone 20 to 32 & you don't have your Awakening 8 yet, & you have to strategically place your watchstone to have a correct tier & drops. And you have to deal with RNG spawning conquerors, so if you did not build you map pool enough, it can be frustrating. So at this point you really need to "juiced" up your maps to get more map drops & buy all the maps from Zana inventory every reset. Does't matter if you need it now or not, you may never know you may need it next time especially you can spawn the conqueror with low level maps.

Once you get A6+ or T14+, sustaining will become easier & non an issue.
"A game IS supposed to waste your time but it's not supposed to make you FEEL like you're wasting your time:
It's supposed to make you WANT to waste your time."
At least you're honest OP. Usually the issue is something people who write these posts like to hide;

"...at this point, lvl 87-88-89 and I feel like its an utter waste of time and xp to run lvl 77 maps or something, just to build that pool +1 tier up..."

I have never, once, since I started seriously playing in Legacy league, not been able to run maps at the start and get into red maps. Every single league I can sustain red maps before I ever trade for a map, and I only trade for a map after I've started to sustain, and I'm just lazy and want the completion of one that I can't get to drop.

The problem is you're refusing to run white and yellow maps, which is ridiculous. They still give XP, they still drop loot, and most importantly they can still drop maps.

3 for 1 vendor the giant stockpile of maps I'm sure you have after '9 characters and 180 hours', run your damn maps regardless if they're 'level 77' when you're level 89, and whamo map sustain.

The 9 characters is also probably a problem. 180 hours isnt that much, and when you take god knows how much time to level NINE characters to maps at 5 hours each (assuming you're going very fast), you've not been mapping all that long.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info