Just used my first Exalted Orb for crafting, and....

Chris and company are looking for the gaming Holy Grail of getting PoE to be played forever (as all game companies want to achieve). Gear chasing (as in crafting) is only valued until the quantity of crafting orbs required to achieve the desired craft exceeds our time to play resource in our lives. Catering to the no-lifers/streamers by decreasing drops or our rng chance of useful crafting (as in "6000 fuses burned and still no 6L") isn't going to help GGG in the long run. The move to the "upside down" by flipping from linked sockets on gear to sockets on gems might help or it might just piss off a lot of veterans (like Charan) and others. RNG/rate limiting crafting as a mechanism to make us want to play more and thus maximize GGG's business model:

is a very thin tight rope that GGG walks on. Come PoE 2 we'll find out how good they are at that. Many veterans PoE playing days could be numbered if PoE 2 doesn't deliver better crafting mechanics with less rng bullshit.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
could be worse, like +3 armor.

you'll get over it just like i did :)
Last edited by teksuoPOE on Jan 18, 2020, 11:22:00 AM
"
teksuoPOE wrote:
could be worse, like +3 armor.

you'll get over it just like i did :)

...Point taken. Coming to realized I prefer item rarity over reflected damage or 3 armour.

"
DoubleU wrote:
In SSF, I use EX for crafting Jewels.

I've thought of doing that, but since I'm not SSF it's a good thing I didn't.

It's really fun to get a good craft, but unfortunately PoE (outside SSF) is based around buying items unless you play a crap-ton.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
It is a sad fact of PoE that as time since start of playing the value of crafting always diminishes. GGG has no solution to power creep so crafting better gear is an asymptote type of relationship. For example:

Y = 1/X

where:
X = time since PoE was playable
Y = value of crafting anything better

So if X = PoE .1 (the earliest alpha version) then anything and everything crafted is better gear as we start with nothing. As the years of playing elapse we get better and better gear for our crafting efforts and thus the progression of getting something much better than our previous best crafting decreases until at some point in our playing of PoE crafting to create a better item ceases (we have hit the limit).

But I guess knowing this is true of all games where gearing up is required that longevity of playing will always produce diminishing returns for time played doesn't make this obvious observation any less relevant in PoE (or any other gear chase game).

The 64 million dollar question that GGG will answer for us in about a year is whether PoE 2 (patch 4.0.0) will reset this and get us back to a new beginning of fresh and exiting finds/crafts or because it isn't a total reset (we will not be losing all our items) and that PoE 2 endgame is the same PoE 1 endgame there won't be anything new to craft (the item chase is essentially over for good). My money is on the latter.

Maybe we can view this as mountain climbers do, they start at the base, and climb the easy part, then the climb gets progressively more difficult until they reach the summit (usually), and there is no where to go except find a more challenging mountain to climb. rinse and repeat on that until all the great world climbs have been done (I just climbed Mt. Everest so my climbing days are over).

In PoE it's, I just crafted the best gear and defeated the toughest content so it's "game over". We will soon see if GGG is more than a 1 trick pony gaming company and can deliver more than just the same old endgame grind.

Yeah I can kinda see where you're coming from, but may need more time to process. I personally almost never have enough currency to choose crafting over buying, which also means I never have BiS gear.

"
Asmosis wrote:
The amount of times i actually want to use an exalt orb directly is less than the amount of times i have leo tier 3 available to craft with.

Run more syndicate, save exalts for crafting recipes.

More syndicate, eh? I'm probably done leveling after hitting 92, so that's not a bad idea!

"
crunkatog wrote:
First exalt wasn't even mine, my mate was crafting a ring up for me and I needed t1 dex roll and he slammed it and got t1 dex roll.

I'm too much of a skinflint to slam. Leo is a cheap date, I just save up all the shit i need slammed and bring something in. Eventually I'll work my way through 3 tabs of jewels and 1 tab of various armours

Wow, grats. Maybe the secret is to trade items to someone you trust for them to craft... ;P

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Not my first exalt but this one

got me 44% cold res

This was before elder/shaper belts by the way. Good old flat strength stacking.

Just imagining getting something of that quality on my item makes me wanna grind some more.

PoE sure is addicting...
Accepting that crafting is yet another form of gambling, and that the odds creep is real and the payouts get smaller every league, is key.

Either you just hunker down with 10k alts and 5k regals and get it over with, or you limit your losses by saying, "Okay imma throw 20 pristine fossils at this item, and accept the first roll that gives me any combination of life + % life."

Same with any other form of gambling. Know your limits, accept that you will walk away empty handed 99.99% of the time, and have fun.

The odds of getting burned on exalt slamming and the piss-poor weighting of desired modifiers on fossils (even with sanctified) make SSF feel awful all the way through. About the only crafting I do in SSF is bench, everything else is whatever drops, drops.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
I got item rarity...may be done with this league now. T_T

To make this a discussion, does anyone else remember what their first exalted did? Thought I was prepared for a bad roll, but a completely non-combat mod was completely out of my expectations for some reason...genuinely a little depressed right now.

It was an experiment after getting bad rolls with chaos/essences and just wanting my item, so of course impatience isn't good when it comes to crafting either.

you want to hear about bad results with exalts?! lol. have i got a story for you... but first! i have a small rant.

rant:
Spoiler
if you can't afford to lose an exalt and having it go sour makes you quit, you shouldn't be crafting with exalts.

exalt waste story:
Spoiler
as you may know, cowards trial can drop any non-monster/league specific unique from infector of dreams. back in legacy league i ran it and dropped skyforth. before that i probably had about 3-4 exalts EVER. sold them for 30-40ex, don't remember exactly. i then spent about 20+ of the exalts trying to craft an awesome coronal maul for a ground slam berzerker. i never did make a decent maul. and i could have bought an amazing one and made an entire build for about 10-15ex. i was new. i was dumb. i learned a lot. good times...
"
if you can't afford to lose an exalt and having it go sour makes you quit, you shouldn't be crafting with exalts.

1. How do I know how it'll affect me if I've never done it before?
2. I've already made it clear I'm not doing it anymore.
3. Why do you need to tell me what to do?

I appreciate your story, but this part seems unfair.
"
"

You knew the value of an ex before you did the craft, that is why it made you feel that way when it didn't work out.

He is right, if you can't afford to lose it, you shouldn't be doing it. Ex crafting is designed for players who have a lot of coin. It used to be one of the few ways (along with eternal orbs and mirrors) players of varying degrees of wealth could still enjoy the craft game at the upper echelons. Now we have more toys to play with like fossil crafting, essences, conq exalts, beast-crafting etc.

Burning a ton of currency and not getting even a half decent result may compel one to write a WTF forum post.. maybe even rightly so.

Using 1 ex though? Come on man.

The expression of your avatar suits you perfectly.

I can barely craft a flask with "Alts" before running out, not going to be insane to ever touch a "Ex" trying to craft something. That is what the trade site is for after all...
I avoid the drama but not getting seriously involved in crafting :D.
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
"
"
"

You knew the value of an ex before you did the craft, that is why it made you feel that way when it didn't work out.

He is right, if you can't afford to lose it, you shouldn't be doing it. Ex crafting is designed for players who have a lot of coin. It used to be one of the few ways (along with eternal orbs and mirrors) players of varying degrees of wealth could still enjoy the craft game at the upper echelons. Now we have more toys to play with like fossil crafting, essences, conq exalts, beast-crafting etc.

Burning a ton of currency and not getting even a half decent result may compel one to write a WTF forum post.. maybe even rightly so.

Using 1 ex though? Come on man.

The expression of your avatar suits you perfectly.

"
He is right, if you can't afford to lose it

Did you even read my post you quoted?

You say my avatar suits me, but I think it suits someone who puts words into another person's mouth and claims it was their words to begin with.

Not once did I say I couldn't afford to use it; the only discussion was that the bad roll bummed me out majorly. "I may be done" is far from "I'm done;" it's an expression of remorse.

But I guess it's more fun to misrepresent what someone has said and insult them. I chose this avatar because it looked funny; it's interesting how you need it to push a point that's already been made and acknowledged.

"You can't complain unless it's within the parameters in which I allow."

I guess your avatar makes you think you're a forum juggernaut then, eh? Rolling over people with mega insults.

So hardcore.

I'm over the Exalt at this point. The purpose of this thread was to share stories after I shared mine, and I've gotten some great replies; at least the other guy added to the thread.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info