Bartholomew's Endurance Discharge Build (Discharge, EE, Lightning warp)

If you ever wanted to be a dive bomber, now's your chance!

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for instadeaths from elemental reflect mobs!

Build
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fNgbZ_fPAXvfIM4FE2iAASz8B-Bb548TdiMdjrY7DgaOKeEkFUpT4KbwBpmnvrSHRSYrS3SWfOsqift890ZLtlh1I-53fIv7w5XDZHO0iGezacwFCBQRwHnNuhkoxpVYSES4YTvdO1672BLBS277edSVElfP_ZIjM9QUFhjxtiPRtDQz2VVxpuhZ72nCLiTDH0Qf8aeQKAhYHTxnrnr7ij6lSBb9Dbp42okqhmF

Skills
Spoiler
The main skill used in this build is Discharge.

Main skill: Discharge + Concentrated effect + Increased AOE + Chance to ignite/Fire Penetration/Iron Will + (elemental proliferation for 5link).

Note: My personal preference for the 4th skill is iron will, as this build takes a large number of strength passives, which provides quite a large benefit to your discharge damage.
Additionally, since you are not casting discharge repeatedly, the %slower cast time means nothing.

Enduring Cry x 2 (i've played around with trying to gather frenzy charges, but it is way too inefficient/dangerous for the little gain that you get from 3 frenzy charges.
Blood rage is an option if you're swimming in chaos resist, as it enables fast frenzy charge gathering.

Now to apply the elemental equilibrium debuff there are 2 methods:

1. The safe (boring) way - spell totem + Arc + elemental proliferation + (faster casting) to spread the equilibrium/shock stacks

2. The ULTIMATE DIVE BOMBER MAN MODE - Lightning warp + Increased AOE

Personally I use both, depending on the situation, but you can use whatever floats your boat.

Single Target:
Fireball + Chance to ignite + (whatever you feel like, i like faster projectiles and fire penetration or increased crit, since they keep the mana cost low).

For single target, be sure to keep Arc totem up to keep reapplying the equilibrium for your fireballs.

Curses: You have a few choices here:
1. Flammability: Directly Increases fire damage from discharge, and increases ignite chance from discharge as well as fireball.

2. Enfeeble: Pretty useful since you need to be up close and personal with mobs to get the full effect.

3. Warlord's Mark: This is a bit hit and miss, it can provide sustainability in your discharges when farming easy content, but is unreliable and gives no other benefit apart from recharging your flasks a bit faster. The fact that you have 2x enduring cry, and the cooldown is so small, i don't see the point in this.

Auras: There is little room for auras in this build, as there is not much int passives taken, hence a low mana pool. However clarity is always a good choice, and there is also the possibility of running auras with blood magic if you choose.

Gear:
Spoiler

Armours:
Any armour with max life/resist

Rings/Neck Pieces:
Max life/resists
UNIQUE - Kaom's Sign, provides 1 additional max endurance charge - This can provide a boost in your dps, at the cost of 1 ring slot. It's really your choice, but if you want to insta explode things, this ring's for you.

Weapons/shields:
Any weapon with + spell dmg + fire dmg + spell/global crit chance
Any shield that fits your needs.

UNIQUE - Searing touch - While not mandatory for this build, it provides a substantial boost in dps, since endurance charges cause discharge to explode with fire dmg. Additionally, it provides +2 levels to fire gems. This is important, as discharge is classed as lightning, cold AND fire, which also increases discharge's damage substantially if socketed with supporting gems in the staff.
Also note that chance to ignite support gems are valued more if you have this, due to the increased burning damage.

Flasks:
Spoiler

There is no need for any special flasks at all.
My setup is 1 HP pot, 2 granite, 1 hybrid, and 1 quicksilver, but it's really up to you.

Note: I have not done any hard calculations as to what support gems provide the best damage, all combinations are based on my preference from playing this build only, feel free to contribute your calculations as to what is best.
Last edited by bartholomewj on Mar 20, 2013, 10:22:59 PM
bump
Was thinking of this type of buid for some time now will add 2 gems in balance :
What about molten shell and storm shield ?
Storm as an "aura" to shock monsters
Molten as an other "fire based boom"

And Why not going CI + blood rage for 3 "easy" frenzy charge ?

Or the other whay : quill rain + dual chain LA totem + explosive arrow ...

Can't decide myself ...

EE is also bad in groups...
Last edited by Mac_Cloud on Mar 21, 2013, 6:27:59 AM
I've tried molten shell, but with the nature of lightning warp it sometimes goes off at bad times, ending up with a 50% fire resist mob to discharge on. Tempest shield is good, but there are better things to spend your mana on i think..

Ci+blood rage is easily possible, but I think you'd have a lot of wasted nodes getting there, not sure it'd be worth the trouble.

This is far from an easy farm "cookie cutter" build like LA spam or ele cleave or any other flavour of the month, it's just an effective FUN way to use some underused skills :).
That was my conclusion too ...
Bumping.

Here's the current look of my own build (HC), utilizing the sheer brokenness of ele cleave to "grind" my way to Golem's Blood in the Duelist tree, giving me tons of strength nodes along the way for Iron Will, which will be my major damage buffer outside of conc/aoe. I plan on refunding the Technique points as well as the WEP points once I can rely on my spell damage and then heading to Conduit/Inner Force, but right now I use mostly Cleave and Leap Slam.

My plan is to hit 4.0% life regen coupled with a couple pieces of Chaos Resistance gear to keep my Blood Rage sustainable, giving me 4 frenzy charges hopefully permanently. I was also planning to rely on Warlord's Mark and one Enduring Cry, but my own experience so far yesterday (level 36) was that it is very unreliable and I can't see myself counting on it Cruel onwards.

Below is my planned build, hitting more strength nodes than you but creating awkward dead ends where a lot of important nodes require lots of 10+ along the way, but I'm really pushing for utilizing Iron Will for my single target spell (undecided) and also Discharge. Your idea of an arc totem is very interesting. Does elemental proliferation shock apply the +25% -50% of the EE since it actually does no lightning damage? I don't actually have EE in my final build yet since I don't know if its worth.

Should I skim off 5 pts cutting Unwavering Stance? Why don't you take it?

"
cutelilduck wrote:
Bumping.

Here's the current look of my own build (HC), utilizing the sheer brokenness of ele cleave to "grind" my way to Golem's Blood in the Duelist tree, giving me tons of strength nodes along the way for Iron Will, which will be my major damage buffer outside of conc/aoe. I plan on refunding the Technique points as well as the WEP points once I can rely on my spell damage and then heading to Conduit/Inner Force, but right now I use mostly Cleave and Leap Slam.

My plan is to hit 4.0% life regen coupled with a couple pieces of Chaos Resistance gear to keep my Blood Rage sustainable, giving me 4 frenzy charges hopefully permanently. I was also planning to rely on Warlord's Mark and one Enduring Cry, but my own experience so far yesterday (level 36) was that it is very unreliable and I can't see myself counting on it Cruel onwards.

Below is my planned build, hitting more strength nodes than you but creating awkward dead ends where a lot of important nodes require lots of 10+ along the way, but I'm really pushing for utilizing Iron Will for my single target spell (undecided) and also Discharge. Your idea of an arc totem is very interesting. Does elemental proliferation shock apply the +25% -50% of the EE since it actually does no lightning damage? I don't actually have EE in my final build yet since I don't know if its worth.

Should I skim off 5 pts cutting Unwavering Stance? Why don't you take it?

I think your build will suffer in damage.

you skipped the elemental equilibrium and shocking blows, which are huge damage increases for discharge. you would need +250 STR just to equal the damage increase Equilib gives you.
proliferate doesn't apply EE but it applies shock which is just as good... use shock nova/lightningwarp/arc to apply EE.

warlords mark is a bad way to generate charges because A) you need the charges all at once for discharge and B) you have to kill things to get the charges, but you need the charges to discharge to kill things.... it's kinda backwards. Dual Enduring Cry really is the best way to get charges by a long shot.

also you wanted more STR for Iron will but didn't take the +30 might node???

Unwavering stance is kinda a waste.. I've never had trouble with cast interruption.. also have a fair bit of evasion from grace.
Yeah pretty much what waffenheimer said. 90% of my dmg is off the damage from the endurance charges, especially with searing touch. The Arc/Ele Prolif/spell totem applies shock to the majority of mobs, and the lightning warp does the EE application, and conveniently puts you in a good position to discharge.

Warlords mark is unreliable at best, and you don't even use the majority of the bonuses it gives, whereas flammability uses all the bonuses and gives you a much higher chance to ignite, which does HUGE damage, especially if you crit.

It's difficult to tell the gain from iron will, as tooltip doesn't change no matter what support gems or skills you have to increase the damage.

I think the most effective and efficient way to deal consistent damage with discharge is enduring charges only, (possibly frenzy with CI builds). Searing touch works well as it gives you incredibly high damage single target with fireball as well.
Hey guys I appreciate the posts.

I kept playing that build I posted, getting all the Marauder skill points and was almost to the duel ones. I was still playing ele cleave. With the Marauder endurance charge 0.2% hp regen perk, my 5 charges granted me exactly the same amount of life degen Blood Rage caused, so I could sustain it forever in combat long as I kept finding new monsters to End Cry.

Just like you guys said, my discharge was still a little weak. Despite being buffed with Iron Will, it would just be able to one shot whites with all charges (5 end 3 frenzy).

I was just about to start heading towards Ele Equilibrium when I lost the templar to Western Forest @ lvl 46.

So after a few days of sadness, I remade the templar and now he's 31, sitting strong with a fresh spell totem, arc, lightning warp, and a 11% qual discharge (like it matters!) with chance to ignite. I already have Ele Equilibrium as I'm gonna try following OPs build more closely.

How important is Ele Prolif for this build? I find myself struggling just a bit in A3 normal with kill speeds.
Hi,

I plan to use the below gems/links with this build. I have a 5L Volls and x2 Koams Rings.

Thoughts?

4L - Enduring Cry + Fast Cast + Increased AOE + Blood Rage
4L - Enduring Cry + Fast Cast + Increased AOE + Curse
5L - Discharge + Increased AOE + Conc Effect + Elemental Proliferation + Iron Will
4L - Grace + Determination + Vitality + Reduced Mana
4L - Light Warp + Fast Cast + Increased AOE + Crit Chance
3L - Enduring Cry + Fast Cast + Increased AOE

I am worried about the lack of crit chance with this build, and will use a Dagger for my 3L, worried about Dex as well.

I really want to crit with Light Warp, shock stack then discharge, burn them and then crit again with power charges to shock again/repeat, frenzy charges will hopefully freeze.

Last edited by Lantoka on May 27, 2013, 2:22:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info