Have a look at a Metamorph-specific unique ring!

Last bumped on Mar 6, 2020, 6:28:18 AM
"
"
Jfr0st wrote:
so only shock and ice nova? or am I missing something

Maybe this will make some sick Sire of Shards builds.
It will not. It has no interaction with Sire of Shards. It interacts with spells which have the new "Nova" tag, which is for AoE spells that non-directionally target an area centred on the caster, such as Ice Nova, Shock Nova or Discharge, and others of that ilk.

Since some of them don't have gems you can see tags on, here is the full list of current Nova spells in PoE:
  • Ice Nova
  • Vaal Ice Nova
  • Discharge
  • Shock Nova
  • Vortex
  • Vaal Blight
  • Dark Pact
  • Shock Ground
  • Glimpse of Eternity
  • Feast of Flesh
  • Arcane Wake
  • Word/Edict/Decree/Commandment of Tempest
  • Word/Edict/Decree/Commandment of Flames
  • Word/Edict/Decree/Commandment of Thunder

EDIT:
  • Shockwave Totem

Ethereal Knives (or any other projectile skill) does not have the Nova tag, and just like all similar "[TAG] skills..." modifiers, support effects cannot change what tags a spell is considered to have. To avoid confusion now that Nova is a tag for certain AoE spells, Sire of Shards is now worded as firing projectiles in a circle.

The Arrow Nova support has a similar description for stats, but keeps the name because support names are more flavourful than actual mechanical text, and because there's little chance of confusion about it working with this unique due to it not working with spells - so the unique can't work with the support, and already firing arrows from the targeted location - so the unique would have nothing to do if it could.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 11, 2019, 7:09:54 PM
"
Ashriel wrote:
Edit: So how does Sire of Shards not add a hidden "Nova" tag?
Because support effects fundamentally cannot do that.
"
Ashriel wrote:
I mean, if Discharge counts as a "nova" now
Why would it not? it's a fully circular AoE centered on you. It's a perfect example of a nova. I honestly have no idea why you would be surprised by that one.
"
Ashriel wrote:
and Death's Oath works with Arcane Surge by adding a hidden Duration tag...
It does not and never has. The game fundamentally does not work that way. A skill is considered to have the tags matching it's skill gem, and no others. Supports do not modifiy tags.
"
bolt315 wrote:
What is the interaction with triggered nova spells? Can we assume they will also be casted at the cursor's location? or perhaps the location of where the triggering critical hit occurred?
In general, triggered skills are targeted at the location of the trigger event. There is a bias away from the player (or in the more general case, the object which has the triggered skill) - so any on-hit/on-crit triggers target their skills at the thing you hit, but any when-hit/when-crit triggers target their skills at the thing that hit you.
"
cpurdy777 wrote:
If arcane surge doesn't enable duration support gems
It does do that. That has nothing to do with adding the Duration tag. Supports which require a duration don't give two hoots about the tag, they care whether the skill has an actual duration or not. Tags do not determine supportability.
"
HoockBr wrote:
With this description for nova spells, i could say orb of storm is a nova spell, and yet i dont get why its not included. Same for frostbomb

But since u will tag as "nova" i have no problems with that

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
..."Nova" tag, which is for AoE spells that non-directionally target an area centred on the caster...
This bit. Things only get the "Nova" tag if their default behaviour is to deal the AoE around you regardless of where you click. That doesn't have to be their only behaviour (see Ica Nova and Dark Pact for examples of that), but the base thing they do if nothing else is in play.

"
Lord_Nat wrote:
Why is Doryani's Touch not counted as a Nova? Seems to fit all the requirements.
I believe it's technically not centered on the user, but on the space just in front of them where they hit. But you're right that the distinction in that case is pretty tiny and it will likely be re-examined if and when we implement anything that can care about that attack having the tag - but that might not be for a while.
A user on reddit pointed out that Shockwave Totem was missing from my list, I have edited to include it, that's also a Nova skill.
"
Erionn wrote:
In the totem's case, how far can it cast the shockwave? I guess the same for self casting something like Discharge, what's the actual cast range for targeting the nova?
In general, defaul spell targeting range is 120, which is less a range and more an abuse-case mitigator for people trying to manually change packets to target things screens away - it covers almost the entire screen (a little bit of the top left/right corners can't be targeted by skills since the last time we zoomed out the camera a bit, and this can be affected by terrain height changes and such). Pretty much anywhere you could click to target a projectile.

Totems have an aggro range at which they'll see monsters, so it won't be able to try to target outside that, since it won't target things it can't see.
"
Potion wrote:
does mark even...? the only reason you can 6l death's oath is because of arcane surge. there are literally 4 support gems that work with that thing WITH arcane surge lmfao.
That has nothing to do with any supports adding tags. They don't do that, which is what I was pointing out. The post I was responding to and quoted explicitly stated that this worked by adding a tag. It does not.
"
Theblaze973 wrote:
Does this enable nova spells to be supported by Spell Cascade (and Awakened Spell cascade)?
Unfortunately not. Only support effects can change skills in ways that affect which other support effects can apply. Since this isn't a support effect, it can't make spell cascade able to apply.

The skill system really doesn't handle supports starting/stopping applying to a skill without actual gems being changed - the set of supports applying to a skill is determined at the time gems are moved, and the whole skill system relies on it being constant until gems change again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info