[3.8] Bleed Gladiator with a Bow - 4 stages of character development

I've been practicing starting next league with a gladiator with a bow. My character has gotten strong enough to prove it works, and so I thought I'd share its development. So, if you're interested in being a gladiator with a bow, then check this out:

Note: All of this was done in softcore, but with more investment in staying alive, there's no reason this can't be done in HC.

I have compiled four stages of development. One, the ability to kill normal Atziri without much problem. Two, the ability to kill Tul. Three, starting to put it all together. And four, the ability to 'safely' kill Uber Atziri. I say 'safely', but again, the character is pretty tanky at this point. A HC character would want more life, and a viable way to get endurance charges.

This was done in a simulated SSF environment. I killed Kitava SSF, and then used the same gear to kill Atziri. I went to trade league to buy more fragments and regret orbs so that I could get the build figured out.

This build will work league start, because the unique items it uses are found by farming the bosses that are the DPS/Survivability checks in the first place.

I use puncture for single target and for clear. The problem with puncture is that it has a slow attack speed. With challenger charges and blood rage, clear is not a problem. Rain of arrows is better, but if you've never played puncture->gmp->chain, I recommend.

I was having real difficulty getting passed the adds in normal Atziri. This was solved by Ranged Attack Totem firing Rain of Arrows (which we can assume will be better next league).

The build that can kill Atziri: Level 69, 200 pDps bow, with 3.2k life. Keep her boots.
https://pastebin.com/yjYUgru0

The build that can kill Tul. Basically, don't spawn the adds and don't get hit by his frost breath thing: Level 78, 215 pDps bow with +1 to bow gems, 3.5k life. I 6 linked my armour with 20 fusings while trying to 5 link it. It's the worst 6 link I have ever seen. Heavy use of the RoA totem is used to get to Tul. Keep his armour:
https://pastebin.com/5X71NPrm

Putting it together. Slap on the Atziri boots, the Tul armour, take Iron Reflexes, and you now have an unbuffed 15k armour with 45% spell dodge and free arctic armour. (Use a jade flask if you play this, it took me some time to remember that fact).

Note that I'm using the same bow, but have lost the 6 link (5 linked Perfect Form now). Damage is fine.
https://pastebin.com/YgC0PEtr

I farmed Tul until he dropped the amulet. This funded the purchase of the lioneye jewel, as well as some left over for some fossils to craft a bow (rip elder thicket bow).

I'm still working out how to get endurance charges. Min charges on rings/amulets is probably the way to go. Ignore the quiver, I didn't notice any difference between the one I had.

Note that I anointed Master Fletcher, I'm pretty sure King of the Hill is better for DPS.

"Viable" Uber Atziri farmer, level 85 with 5.3k life. Requires that you are good at Alluring Abyss mechanics in general (like making the vaals die at the same time and such).
https://pastebin.com/ZUtPndMh

I think it's a good build, better with gear. I have no trouble surviving in spooky maps (though I should probably roll an anti-curse flask). The last thing I did was a T15 Beachhead. I didn't move for the entire boss fight. It's a bit weak to blight maps, it can do red tier maps provided that the spawners are in a good formation.

There are a lot of ways it could be better, it just needs better gear. Cloth and Chain? Iron Grip? Resolute Technique? Freedom of Movement? Idk, seems to work ok.

Cons: Mana is a problem. It's also tough to get enough dex and int.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, maybe it sparks a conversation, maybe you have advice? Let me know if you have questions.

Last bumped on Dec 12, 2019, 9:57:43 PM
Thx for sharing ur experience with this build.probably my league starter for SC. why u rate so high Tuls armour im not that good in defensive mechanics. Also with reworked bow skills our ballista setup will look different?
Your wasting 5 points on accuracy nodes (and still not being close to hit cap), while you could pick up resolute technique for 2 points. Seems a bit of a waste of points to me.

I would drop crimson dance, and use ensnaring totems which makes bosses always count as moving (even if they dont move). It's only a small damage nerf as you can take the 60% chance for double bleed damage weapon mod, as a 100% more multiplier instead of roughly a 60% with crimson dance. Just got to attack the boss a couple times to make sure you got a strong bleed going on him. (The difference is you only deal 6 times base bleed damage, vs 6.4 times with crimson). It should help a lot with the adds on atziri as well, as they are always moving to the middle as well

I dont think endurance charges are needed. With 15k armour and arctic armour, I doubt physical damage is going to be a problem. It would ofc be nice, but its not needed.

As for the Tuls chest, its a very strong defensive chest; gives you 30% spell dodge, and 13% reduces fire and physical damage taken from the free arctic armor. With atziri's step, you are looking at 45% spell dodge, which is pretty sweet (You could use vaal grace, or a dodge flask to get it even higher).
"
Tortunga wrote:
while you could pick up resolute technique for 2 points. Seems a bit of a waste of points to me.

PoB was saying that Resolute Technique reduces the average damage of the bleed DoT. I guess the inherent crit-multi bonus to ailments is worth a bit of inaccuracy. I did end up leveling the character further, and eventually took RT

https://pastebin.com/wU0tz5kZ

"
I would drop crimson dance, and use ensnaring totems which makes bosses always count as moving (even if they dont move).

I'm not convinced by ensnaring arrow. Getting 8 stacks of bleed on a boss is easy.

"
I dont think endurance charges are needed. With 15k armour and arctic armour, I doubt physical damage is going to be a problem. It would ofc be nice, but its not needed.

With -1 min endurance charges crafted to rings/amulet, this build gets the reduced damage buff all of the time.

All in all, without the elder mods, this build is kinda legacy.
Last edited by LowestOne on Dec 12, 2019, 9:58:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info