First attempt at my own Build

So I'm at the end of Act 2, and I think It's about time to convert my ideas for my character from vague generalities into a detailed map.

I'm going for a 2H mace tanky-templar that uses blood magic and does elem damage by using a combo of LS, Inf. Blow, Slam + elem support, or and maybe a spell totem. I have thought about going for Elem Equilibrium, but not quite sure yet. Basically still learning and mapping things out.

Any way, here is my first attempt at a "Full" build. I got some great help a week ago from malvod when I was trying to just start out the process, so some of my path is from his(her) influence.

Any tips, suggestions, criticisms are welcome. The PT is just now to the point where I feel I can tackle it without being overwhelmed.
Scrap your Spell Totem and Equilibrium ideas, both only work well in a build based on using these especially and aren't good when uses as an addition to a build.

Your skill tree however looks quite decent especially for a first attempt. There are just some minor things i might note here:

Right at the sart you've taken some +10Str nodes, these are generally horrible and you could've invested these 3 skill points in melee/two handed damage that wouldn't just save you 1 skill point but also give you a tiny bit of damage boost.

You should also grab Unwavering Stance at the bottom of the tree since stun becomes a major problem for melee builds in end game.
Also you are using Maces and all the skills you've mentioned are Strenght based so i don't really see a reason for you to pick up these +30Dex/int nodes, especially int is pretty useless for a BM build.

The last thing you should really focus on one primary attack skill, you won't have the equipment to have 3 attack skills + auras and linked gems so you should really decide whether you want to use LS, Infernal or Ground Slam.

Here's my version of your build, I've barely changed anything but you've got more damage and life with the same amount of points used:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the Totem/Equilibrium were just ideas rattling around my mind. I'll save those for future builds.

The +10 STR nodes at the start are a problem. In fact I posted a thread a week ago about it, asking should I just reroll or respec that part. I have enough refund points now, I'll probably spend my next few levels respecting that spot.

Thanks for the tip on unwavering stance. It's not out of the way at all, and seems like it would help. I'll rework my build to include that.

The +30 DEX/INT nodes are strictly for gems/gear requirements. I was having difficulty keeping up the attribute requirements for gear upgrades, and I plan on using some elem aura like wrath/hatred/anger. I might reevaluate those choices. Or keep the +30 INT until I go BM, and then respec out of it.

Yeah I need to narrow down the skill choices. I really like LS and Ground slam so far, and have both supported with elem support skills ATM (added elem dmg and added fire respectively). I'm actually not a big fan of infernal blow, I prefer Heavy Strike for single target and LS/GS for AOE.

Also, I see I have a few opportunity to pick up additional endurance charges. Being the noob I am, I have no idea how those work, accumulate, proc, etc. Are they worth grabbing?

So after doing some respec-ing to try and include the unwavering stance, I came up with 2 different alternatives, and I'm not sure which one is better.

One grabs 20% reduced mana cost + 50% increased armor:

The other grabs +28% life, more STR nodes (+4 actually), a 1.5 life regen, and +15% attack speed:

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswUtBVsOPA9UFCAUTRRxGS4Z6Ro4JIsn7Si1KU8yCTKJOlI9D0CgQT9EckbXTdhQR1BQUeZUSVYEVw1X4lhjXz9gS2CIYSFhUnKpdO1253fleu98u3zZffWBb4KbgziExITZhO-GYIdqinSLjIx2jM-QVZBsnYCePJ7Nn8uiAKcwp4SpaKmUrKq0L7ndxPbG2NIh1I_ZYd7B37_hc-dS7DjtIO8O707vfPAf8i_2SPe-

So for a BM build, is more life or reduced mana cost better as you progress to the hardest difficulty and "end game"?
Is +50% armor as good as it sounds on a character that will be almost exclusively wearing STR gear?
15% attack speed on a 2H weapon seems like it could make a big difference in the long run, right?
I have to admit i forgot about Wrath being a Int gem, thought it was Str like Anger as well this makes the 30 Int node kinda worth the point.

My personal advice for your choice when it comes to the main attack would be LS simply due to it being "half ranged" in really tough situations you can stay back a little bit and snipe mobs from a bit of a distance.
That makes your life a lot easier in many situations.

Endurance Charges are extremely valuable for any melee build the only way of getting them is the skill "Enduring Cry" every Endurance CHarge reduces the damage you take by 5% which is pretty huge especially since these are flat 5%.

Reduced Mana cost is really crappy you generally ALWAYS want to go with the more life especially since your Life Regeneration is based on your max life as well and in the case of BM this means the more life you have the faster you regenerate what your skills cost.
Armor should be picked up but it's not high priority like resistances or life you want a bunch of it and then it's fine.

Taking these +10 Str nodes as "highways" to other nodes or keystones is okay and pretty much can't be avoided you should just try to not grab more than is needed. Berserking is decent it's not as huge as you might think but for a node you can grab up on the way it's really worth getting.
And yeah the second alternative is better :)
I dont know if your build in general will work out since I dont have much experience with physical maurauder builds, but you take alot of paths that are not efficient. You take alot of strength nodes to avoid small skills that are not that usefull but allow you to travel much faster in the tree. Also you skip alot of very valuable nodes that are near your path and offer a huge benefit without much drawback.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAecCcQSzBS0PVBLhFCAUTRkuGjgaVSftKU8t0jKJNug6UjrYPAVBP0RyRtdHfk3YUEdQUFHmVElXDVfiWGNZ818_YEthIWSjZU1yqXTtdud35XrvfNmCm4M4hMSE2YTvhymHaop0i4yMdozPkFWQbJHOmSudgJ7Nn9-iAKcwp4SpaKmUq8WsqrQvud29gcAaxtjSIdSP2WHewd-_4XPkredS7DjtIO8O73zwH_Iv8932SPe-

This would be my variation from your skillbuild without alot of changes, but it would offer you alot more benefits for about the same skillpoints. I would not say this is a ideal build, not only because i missed alot and dit it very quick but also because i would respect a bit more if I would do it from the scratch.

But the benefit of 3 endurance charges +more HP% +elemental adaptations (20% less elemental damage)+golems blood means alot.

Thanks for the help droggletasse.

I took basically your idea and try to incorporate unwavering stance into it. It's obviously a lot more nodes, but I assume it's worth it. I really like your reworking in the initial templar area. On my build I have already started respecing some of those highway strength nodes I took when I first started play.

Here's what I got now. I like it. I leaves me options with either going after the health in Maurauder or Duelist, or not looping around for unwavering stance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info