Throwing mines to exceed mine capacity causes detonation sequence to end

I'd been noticing my detonation sequences would sometimes begin and then sputter out after only a few explosions. I discovered the problem is caused when you detonate mines while at your current limit, then immediately throw more mines.

It's very easy to duplicate with minefield, but it seems to apply without as well if your throw rate is high. Just throw out your maximum number of mines, hit the detonate button and then immediately throw more mines. One or two mines will go off but then when the five new mines land your cap will be exceeded and the detonation sequence stops.
Last bumped on Oct 3, 2019, 6:02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
GetSomePoE wrote:
I'd been noticing my detonation sequences would sometimes begin and then sputter out after only a few explosions. I discovered the problem is caused when you detonate mines while at your current limit, then immediately throw more mines.

It's very easy to duplicate with minefield, but it seems to apply without as well if your throw rate is high. Just throw out your maximum number of mines, hit the detonate button and then immediately throw more mines. One or two mines will go off but then when the five new mines land your cap will be exceeded and the detonation sequence stops.

Thanks for your report, I've explained this in another thread, you can find it here.
Last edited by Jatin_GGG on Oct 2, 2019, 10:38:31 PM
OK, that thread confuses me somewhat because he seemed to be claiming he could throw mines faster than they can detonate. That is not what is happening here, you can encounter this issue with very reasonable mine throwing speed just by throwing out your maximum capacity then timing your detonation with your next throw.
I don't think it is fair to consider it not a bug that the sequence ends prematurely when throwing an additional set of mines. The entire point of new mines is to get long sequences for maximum damage. If they are randomly stopping when throwing additional mines it makes them feel very bad.

"
Jatin_GGG wrote:
Something else which might cause the behaviour in the gif you have is when you reach your maximum number of mines placed, placing another mine will cause your oldest mine to expire, it's completely possible for this to break the detonation chain based on timing.

Even if this is how the mine sequence is programmed, it causes one of the main uses of mines, maximizing sequences, to sometimes feel bad with no real feedback to the player as to why. It sounds like the next mine is being picked at the start of the current mine detonation, which gives it time to be replaced. Instead I think it should pick next mine at the end of the current detonation so there is no time for the mine to be replaced.

"
Jatin_GGG wrote:
One way you can "fix" this issue is by not throwing mines immediately after you start a detonation sequence but instead waiting until roughly half way through the sequence when the detonation has sped up. Since there's a lot of numbers in play here I can't quite say when the optimal time to start throwing mines during a detonation sequence is.

I don't think the players should have to wait to start throwing mines at a specific time in the sequence. The mine changes in 3.8.0 were meant to make mines feel less clunky, but having to start re-throwing mines at a seemingly arbitrary time doesn't help that goal.

To anyone who is not sure what this thread is about this video shows it. Note the sequence ending on the 3rd and 4th sets while there are still mines available.
I agree completely that the detonation chain shouldn't be broken by a mine in the chain being replaced/removed if there is another viable mine in radius to continue from. It's very janky for mine chains to stop frequently due to this issue.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info