Templar Staff Ground Slam Aura Build

Relatively new to the game, and looking for some help optimizing a Templar build that uses staffs and Ground Slam, along with some auras as well. The expansive passive tree is a little daunting and so I was hoping for some help concerning which skill nodes will be most important to me, as well as which gems I'm going to want in conjunction with Ground Slam.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEsw9UFE0YXTwFRHKDOITEinSf36IAqWjvfPAf

That's where I stand now, but I want to be sure that I get some good advice before I go any further...
I've been rolling with a physical damage staff templar for some time now and I quite enjoy it, currently level 73. My current build is attached in the spoiler.

Be sure to pick up endurance charge and life nodes (as with any melee build!). Although endurance charges are supremely annoying to maintain, you need them. Also, Resolute Technique is CRITICAL to success. Although some of the crit nodes with staves are nearby (and tempting!), I find that you will have accuracy issues leveling before you can get great gear with accuracy rating, etc. Focus your weapon/gear selection around fast attacks and a close min/max damage range so you know that you will be hitting for about the same amount of damage every swing. This also helps a ton on gaining back your life, and you will be taking a beating in Mericless, so you need to be able to regain life quickly. I prefer life on hit support gems to life leach for instant health regeneration in lower levels, but life leach does start to become more useful than life on hit once your life is above 3,000 or so. Just use common sense skill gems like melee physical damage, added fire damage, etc. Probably helps to run Purity and Determination together with a reduced mana support gem. Within the next few levels I plan on specing into reduced % mana cost so I can run a third aura as well.

A special tip: look for mana leach on gloves (Slitherpinch are great!) to save you from needing to use a precious gem slot on Blood Magic. This also might help you get away with a 4L chest in end game which is of course much cheaper than some %L and all 6L chest pieces.

Enjoy buying weapons for cheap! Not too many of us melee staff wielders out there!

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswUtDjwPVBLhFCAUTRRxGF0ZLho4IVUkiyftKLUt0jH7Mgk5DjpSOtg9D0CgRHJFjkd-Si5N2FBHUFBUSVW1VgRXDVhjXz9gS2CIYSFhUmVNbmlyqXTteu98u3zZgW-ExITZhmCHaop0jHaMz5BVkGyRzpMHmSuePJ7Nnz6fy6IAouqnMKeEp6WpaKmUq8WsqrdyuUO53b05vYG-p8EExBXE9sWKxtjSIdSP2WHcPedS7DjvDu9O8B_z3fZI974=
Also, I should have said this initially... I do NOT use ground slam, I use Sweep and double strike primarily. I find that the single target damage of double strike is too fun to pass up, but that is my preference. You certainly run into needing all three main stats with the double strike build which can make gear selection a pain.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info