Patcher Disconnects - Fresh Install - No Game No Money

Hello!

Long time since I was playing this game, thought I'd come back and see what happened but, turns out I can't even install the game.
I guess I won't be playing then :)

Checked some old threads but, I'm not one to necro old threads.
Some said to disable Killer Network, but I don't have MSI.
Some said to clean registry, it's clean.
Some said to restart PC, duuh- it has been restarted a 1000 times since I last played POE.
Some said to download torrent, copypasta the gamestructure and patch game from there. But come on, there has to be an official fix for this.

I've had plenty of problems with POE before, where updating the game actually causes more problems than they solve. And if this is how I am to restart my POE experience, I'll just leave this game alone.
It's a shame rly, how non of my money spent in this game ever went to fixing the problems... There's no other game on my PC that is behaving like this, so why would POE.
Funny thing is, as the launcher starts, it has to connect to SOME server because it shows me the latest patch notes, so why does it stop there...

Before I spend any more money in this game, I want my previous donations to pay off so I can have a working installation to begin with.
If I can't play I won't pay for anything. And if I pay I want that money to be used to fix the game, that's priority NR1.
Cheers!
Last bumped on Jul 20, 2019, 3:57:33 AM
Bumping my own thread... Where is the support? Not even a user comment.
Even tho I may as well abandon my efforts trying to install this game, somebody has to give the answer if someone else starts looking for the solution.

I'm tired of searching Google only to find half-baked solutions or threads with not even a single reply to the poor people having the same problem.
Not a staff here, sorry.

But I can start asking some question just in case someone pops by:
- is the standalone client, I presume?
- please post your system specs or a DxDiag report
- please do a WinMTR against the patching server
- is there any error message? If so, which?
- what is the actual behavior? Does it freezes/crashes/etc midway during patch? Does it even start?
- have you tried completely removing all POE related files and redownload from scratch? Not just the registry, and not from the (likely pretty old) torrent.
"
Zphyr wrote:
Not a staff here, sorry.

But I can start asking some question just in case someone pops by:
- is the standalone client, I presume?
- please post your system specs or a DxDiag report
- please do a WinMTR against the patching server
- is there any error message? If so, which?
- what is the actual behavior? Does it freezes/crashes/etc midway during patch? Does it even start?
- have you tried completely removing all POE related files and redownload from scratch? Not just the registry, and not from the (likely pretty old) torrent.

- It's the standalone, not a Steam user much.
- Asking for DxDiag reports have never once in my life helped anyone. DirectX works fine, I have all the updates ever released for it and every other .NET C++ XNR VisualJ Java, if you can mention it I have it, and if there was a problem I would have noticed problems in other games too.
- WinMTR shows 0% packet loss and 47 ping as worst at 100 packets.
- Yes, there's a message saying I'm disconnected from patching server.
- The behavior is: After starting the launcher it shows me current patch news for 15 seconds then the error message pops up.
- I have had POE completely removed for about a year, got the new installer today just a few hours ago.

In addition I can also add that it's not the first time GGG's launcher is causing trouble. I made a couple of googles searches and this problem dates way back to 2013, since launch date.
Funny enough I'm actually not surprised GGG never fixed this.

Thank you for your reply tho, it's good to know people are still alive in here, I was beginning to worry :D

[edit:] Funny you mention DirectX tho, cuz I can see that this game does not come with any redistributables. The installer created a "Redist" folder but there's nothing but 3 text files in there... Why on earth don't they include the required frameworks? I thought that was a given. Anyway, just speaking my mind here, it's not my main concern.
Last edited by PunkBuzter on Jul 17, 2019, 7:53:13 PM
disable the firewall (UPnP) in your ISP device and test again.

Regarding your statement:
Before I spend any more money in this game, I want my previous donations to pay off so I can have a working installation to begin with.
If I can't play I won't pay for anything. And if I pay I want that money to be used to fix the game, that's priority NR1.

Sorry to say, but that's not going to happend......
"
HanSoloDK wrote:
disable the firewall (UPnP) in your ISP device and test again.

Regarding your statement:

Sorry to say, but that's not going to happend......

Already tried and no difference, besides the firewall does not affect any other game, it would be odd if POE was the only game affected - it would mean there's something wrong with POE and not my firewall.
I have plenty of online games installed, and no other game complains, if POE was affected by firewall GGG has to fix the problem... I'm a customer, I'm not supposed to drop my defences for attacks and viruses just because POE is badly written.
Would you cut yourself so I can poor some salt in there?? No.

And, well... I'd be happy to spend no more money in this game, and I shall encourage people to follow my example until the day GGG listens.
I'm not just simply going to accept being screwed over without consequence. I am a person with standards, not an idle prick who just accepts the world for what it is without speaking my mind about it.

Simplicity works like this... No game no money, no money no game.
You don't walk into store and buy a product that is clearly broken, right? You're paying for a functional product or you don't pay at all.
That is exactly how spending money in POE works, if I can't play the game, I'm not paying :)

I don't understand how you people accept this behavior, and how people are always trying to twist GGG's faults on the users, like GGG never did anything wrong, it is always the user who has to bring the toolbox to adjust his PC because the world revolves around POE.... Sarcasm.
I didn't spend hundreds of dollars in this game to see them wasted into nothing.

I appreciate that you tried to help me tho, but what I really want is an official answer from GGG, the real solution... I could be here for eternity trying out different stuff but in the end they won't work.

Let me share you a little story tho... I'm working at a place called Laserdome in Sweden, it's a laser-tag game and we're currently using P&CMicros/ZoneEmpire equipment. Once many years ago we had a problem where we just couldn't run any games on a new system, and so we were calling support over the phone to Australia and were trying to figure out the problem for a whole day, 11 hours... That's not a cheap phone call not to mention they charge per hour for the actual support. In the end it turned out it was the clock who was set to the wrong timezone, we found it by mistake in our desperate efforts (not ZoneEmpire, it was we who found it) and it was set to the wrong timezone by ZoneEmpire themselves, so it wasn't our fault.
I wanted to share this story with you because people who are watching this thread needs to know that sometimes even the makers screws up without even knowing it... And my gutfeeling is telling me two things, they used Python, the worst program ever to create their launcher and they screwed up some code. That's what I think.
Sorry if I seem to be pissed... But of course I'm pissed, I'm not pissed at any of you gamers or the forum mods.
I'm pissed because I have spent so much money in this game in the hopes of my money was going to be spent improving the stability and integrity of the game, and later realize that GGG doesn't give a damn about stability as long as they can start the game on their computers at office.

I know for a fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong or missing in my computer, I have all the latest drivers, every framework, codinglanguage, runtimes, everything. All my other games work fine and no game ever complained but POE, and I mean games I have ever installed on this PC which counts to a 100+ games... Still, POE just keeps being broken.
If there was something wrong on my end, I think at least one other among the 100s of games I've had installed would have complained at some point. But nothing, absolutely nothing until POE.

And it's not just the installer... The game can break itself from a simple game patch too, this have happened to me and many others in the past.
Just google it, and you'll find thousands of posts just like it, and not a single thread where GGG actually responds to the problem.
That's what pisses me off.

[edit]: Also, this forum is outdated, still using commands to edit text and can't upload picture without links. Is GGG stuck in the 1990's?
Last edited by PunkBuzter on Jul 18, 2019, 8:40:01 AM
Well GGG has chosen a setup they want regarding forum, no proper support ticket and stuff. One could have hope that after they sold the company and got some real money behind them, these things would have been changed but that not the case.

Also regarding spending money, then as you can see I have spent "some". However I stopped some time ago when they decieded to use the money I gave them to make a xbox version of the game and not fixing / optimizing the PC version like we were told.
"
HanSoloDK wrote:
Well GGG has chosen a setup they want regarding forum, no proper support ticket and stuff. One could have hope that after they sold the company and got some real money behind them, these things would have been changed but that not the case.

Also regarding spending money, then as you can see I have spent "some". However I stopped some time ago when they decieded to use the money I gave them to make a xbox version of the game and not fixing / optimizing the PC version like we were told.

Thank you, so it's not just me noticing.
If I could I'd invite you for a beer! :)
Perhaps you can look in POE's logs to see if the error has more details ?

\[PathOfExile install directory]\logs\Client.txt

Also, I've looked into my windows firewall rules, there's nothing specific for POE.
Last edited by MrVaad on Jul 18, 2019, 6:44:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info