Thinking of Getting New Desktop /want advice

Hi, like the tittle says, I am thinking of getting a desktop as my gaming laptop is not able to play the game anymore (haven't played for two seasons, and then coming back this season I get 1fps when I hit packs, and on lowest possible settings and resoltion, with/without multithreading/Vsync--whatever, I've tried it, I get at most 20fps when hitting packs...and still 1fps if its big enough--which in end game, it almost always is). I have other games that I have noticed I need to play on low settings while overclocked, and still get sub-optimal performance, besides, its time I accept that a laptop that is meant to game is only ever gonna work out if you spend a LOT of money (and will be obsolete quickly anyway).
According to the site "PCGameBenchmark," even for PoE, my GPU is really behind. It's only 34% as powerful as recommended, and doesn't even actually meet their minimum req specs either...which is especially sad, cause minimum requirements are usually a joke.

Intel Core i7-4700HQ PASS
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M FAIL
8 GB RAM PASS

Recommended replacement: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
I am wondering how accurate this site is, and if I do make a Desktop within a budget of 2400$, what exactly are good benchmark specs for playing this game smoothly in its endgame? Also, are there any newer techs that will hinder performance in PoE for some reason?
Last edited by SloaneWolf on Jul 16, 2019, 7:34:19 PM
Last bumped on Jul 18, 2019, 9:06:03 AM
With a budget of $2,400 you should be able to get a pretty tasty and future proof gaming rig. Take a look at the new AMD Ryzen 3 CPUs - they're within 5% of the "gaming" performance of the best intel has to offer and they absolutely crush anything Intel has to offer in multi-threaded applications.

If you really want an Intel chip then I'd recommend the i7 8700K as it's got excellent performance and with adequate liquid cooling can be nicely over clocked. No game currently released needs an i9 chip, there simply isn't much point.

I'd recommend at least a GTX 1070 graphics card but with that budget you should be able to afford a GTX-1080TI. I wouldn't bother with a 2070 or 2080 as the price simply does not justify the comparatively slight performance increase over the 10 series cards. The one and only reason to spend the extra $ for a 20-series card would be if you want to play in 4K. The GTX-1080TI would be perfectly adequate for 1080 or 1440 resolution.

You'll want at least 16Gb of RAM, preferably 32Gb which again with your budget should be doable.

Finally, I would definitely recommend an SSD rather than a mechanical HD. There are several good ones but Samsung make good quality, fast and reliable SSD's. You should be able to afford at least a 1 or 2 TB main SSD.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Sir_Wulfrick on Jul 17, 2019, 4:00:18 PM
Ty for response!
I am worried about getting an AMD CPU with all of the hullabaloo about performance issues with them on the help forum right now.
Also, I really don't want to go Water cooling. At all.

Mostly all I am looking for is a general idea of what smooth play of endgame mapping in PoE requires. I guess the 1080 is enough, Thank you!
Edit: After some research, I am thinking of going for the RTX 2070 Super cause it is half the price of the 2080, and not much more than the GTX 1080, despite much higher performance. Gonna have to do some research on the optimal cooling system though, as it seems to have a TDP of 235, compared to the 1080s 180.
Last edited by SloaneWolf on Jul 17, 2019, 5:14:11 PM
"
SloaneWolf wrote:
Ty for response!
I am worried about getting an AMD CPU with all of the hullabaloo about performance issues with them on the help forum right now.
Also, I really don't want to go Water cooling. At all.

Mostly all I am looking for is a general idea of what smooth play of endgame mapping in PoE requires. I guess the 1080 is enough, Thank you!
Edit: After some research, I am thinking of going for the RTX 2070 Super cause it is half the price of the 2080, and not much more than the GTX 1080, despite much higher performance. Gonna have to do some research on the optimal cooling system though, as it seems to have a TDP of 235, compared to the 1080s 180.

It is about time GG actually gets their thumb out their asses and update the game stability, just reading the titles of all the latest posts GGG doesn't seem to take an interest for stability or file integrity at all.
I'd go as far as saying that GGG have abandoned this game, they don't care for quality any more.
If I were you I'd go play something else, I can't even install this stupid game and GGG doesn't give support for all the 100s of dollars I've spent in POE... Give them the middle finger and move on, that's what I'm doing.
I'm just still here to help people stop supporting this crap... If they won't support us why the F do we support them for?

Best of luck my friend and I hope you don't compose your new PC based on what works best for POE, because POE should work regardless of CPU brand, it is up to GGG to fix their game, not you to fix your PC. Cheers! :)
Last edited by PunkBuzter on Jul 18, 2019, 9:07:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info