Workarounds - x64 version always starts in windowed mode

If the game is set to Fullscreen mode (i.e., not Windowed Fullscreen mode), and there's no patching needed, the game will always launch in Windowed Mode for the x64 version. Below are 2 workarounds.

Courtesy of https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1771109/page/5 for the 1st solution. I came up with the 2nd solution on my own. These worked for me on Windows 10, for the standalone version (i.e., I haven't tested a workaround for the Steam version yet).

1. Add the --require-launch launch option to your shortcut (see https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Launch_options for more info). This means you'll have to click on the Launch button (on the launcher) every time, even if there's no patching needed.

OR

2. Right-click the shortcut and set the "Run" option to "Minimized" (click Apply then OK to save changes). This will start the launcher in minimized mode. If there's no patching needed, the game will start up in fullscreen mode automatically. If there's patching, you'll need to click the launcher on the taskbar to bring it up, then click the Launch button.

For me, #2 is more convenient, since most of the time there's no patching needed.

Good luck. Hope the above can be of use to some people.
Last edited by houiew on Jul 15, 2019, 4:00:23 PM
Last bumped on Jul 17, 2019, 3:24:12 AM
This happens sometimes also for my Win7 32bit System.

I don't use the "--require-launch" option anymore, cause of crash while alt-tab: [Not fixed in 3.7.3d] Game is crashing if i alt-tab during area loading (but even without this option sometimes it crashes...)

But I will test 2. option...

Edit:
OK, I tested this now 3 times and POE always started in fullscreen (and the screen flickering while alt-tab also seems to be reduced).
Many thanks for this tip.
Last edited by Th69 on Jul 16, 2019, 3:46:08 AM
"
Th69 wrote:

I don't use the "--require-launch" option anymore, cause of crash while alt-tab: [Not fixed in 3.7.3d] Game is crashing if i alt-tab during area loading (but even without this option sometimes it crashes...)

But I will test 2. option...

Edit:
OK, I tested this now 3 times and POE always started in fullscreen (and the screen flickering while alt-tab also seems to be reduced).
Many thanks for this tip.

No problem! Glad I could help. :)
"
Th69 wrote:

i don't think that is actually a poe problem, i've seen it talked about on other games as well, seems to be a windows thing, i generally find that if you have the browser open it is fine to alt tab (or go to the store page and view a video for a mtx)

use the windows key instead, i've not had it crash using it.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Th69 wrote:

i don't think that is actually a poe problem, i've seen it talked about on other games as well, seems to be a windows thing, i generally find that if you have the browser open it is fine to alt tab (or go to the store page and view a video for a mtx)

use the windows key instead, i've not had it crash using it.

Great tip. I've not had the crash issue like you two mentioned, but you can try "Windows Key + D" to focus to your desktop then do your business. Good luck.
I've deactivated the windows key while POE is focused (per AHK), to not unintentionally switch to the windows desktop.

And of course this is a POE problem, when it can't switch and run in the background (I'm [games] software developer)!
Last edited by Th69 on Jul 17, 2019, 3:28:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info