Bait-and-switch scams are very easy to minimise, so why haven't you done this already, GGG?

During the whole league I couldn't find a single item that was worth more than 2 exalts. If trading didn't exist I simply wouldn't play. I mean it boils down to this: you need to have a choice to attract as many players as possible. SSF only would not work.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
During the whole league I couldn't find a single item that was worth more than 2 exalts. If trading didn't exist I simply wouldn't play. I mean it boils down to this: you need to have a choice to attract as many players as possible. SSF only would not work.

Agreed. As I said, I could not play just SSF. I said it's the best way to enjoy an ARPG objectively, personally I couldn't. I have too little time to play. I already get nowhere with trading these days.

Anyway, AH being a solution to scams is alright, but we're kind of drifting away from the topic now. Best get back to it.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jul 13, 2019, 1:08:06 PM
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Agreed. As I said, I could not play just SSF. I said it's the best way to enjoy an ARPG objectively, personally I couldn't. I have too little time to play. I already get nowhere with trading these days.

Anyway, AH being a solution to scams is alright, but we're kind of drifting away from the topic now. Best get back to it.

I do not believe anyone is drifting at all, after all, an AH would be a perfect solution to avoid that. Sure, other issues could arise, but the usual price fixers would be gone if they are forced to put a buyout on their item. They would not be able to just add an item for a price then activate DND/go afk.
He's right, it's drifting, pushing towards tumbling. Please don't.

And if that means the topic is played out, then the topic is played out. ^_^
"The end of learning is the beginning of death" -- Eramir
...And it's hard to learn if you're unable to admit when you're wrong.
You'd think a teacher would understand that.
"
Boem wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Here's how you should approach these potential changes, people: would they have offended or bothered you had they been there from the start? Use your imagination here. If you still think so, then fine, lay it on me. But if your only argument is 'change bad PoE is meant to be this way lol go back to Diablo 3', then you don't have an argument. All you have is the inability to see any picture bigger than the one right in front of your grindstone-wrecked noses.

Scamming has been here from the start, it didn't go away with the implementation of the "disable accept after confirmation" implementation and it will not go away after implementing your change.

Not that i would mind the change, like i said already two times, i would find it demeaning as if i can't look at what i am buying on a case to case basis and have the level of focus to push "cancel" when the other party is acting immoral but that would be my feelings which are irrelevant on the whole.

The real crux here is, will you say "pay more attention" to people still getting scammed after they implement this new feature?
Or will you push the next batch of "features" once the new scam methods get developed that bypass yours and people fall victim to them.

The way i see it, i am already at the part where i caution people and tell them to pay attention, apparently you need a few more features before that becomes acceptable advice to people that got scammed.

So how many more features we talking here?

Peace,

-Boem-

edit :

"
鬼殺し wrote:

If it were obvious people wouldn't be falling for it so frequently. OBVIOUSLY your idea of OBVIOUS isn't the same as others'.

People aren't falling for it "so frequently" the amount of forums presence doesn't correlate to significance or occurance in relation to total trade volume.

This should, in fact, be obvious.

Will you join "the dark side" after these implementations charan?

Peace,

-Boem-
It is not easy to realize the monster in yourself, truly it is not easy to create purposefully.
It is easy to realize the virtue in yourself, truly it is easy to destroy.
Contemplate which is worth your time.
-Peace-
i can see this kind of post every league, i would say that people should be immune to this or at least know about that, but u people only want to somebody else solve your problems so u can mindlessly click on every button u see, u know u have to point on that think before u can buy it and u can see stats and links, don't u?
@OP

I support any form of improvements to the game that would reduce or prevent any form of scams. Better late than never!

My suggestion would be to implement a system to trade window that would prevent pressing "accept" for 5 or 10 seconds after an item is added or removed from trade window. Removal or addition of item should also initiate highly visible warning sign in the middle of screen telling user that items was added or removed.

Example: 6L item is added to trade window by seller, 1 Exalted Orb is added to trade window by buyer as agreed price. If seller removes and adds 6S item, the game should disable "Accept" button for 10 seconds and also post warning side advising players that item was adder and/or removed from trade window.

"
SenecaKV wrote:
i can see this kind of post every league, i would say that people should be immune to this or at least know about that, but u people only want to somebody else solve your problems so u can mindlessly click on every button u see, u know u have to point on that think before u can buy it and u can see stats and links, don't u?

Would any of suggested changes in this topic take away your sources of easy currency? Are you someone who prey on new players who do not know value of items they find and then boast about your "deals" in a guild or in front of your friend?
If answer is yes, you are horrible person. If answer is no, any improvements that GGG potentially might implement would not impact you and make the game overall better for lots of people.
Last edited by Baron01 on Jul 18, 2019, 7:07:38 AM
"
Baron01 wrote:
@OP

is the two or five ex trade too much for u? if answer is yes, then pay attention what u accept by clicking on button, if no, why do u whine about scams?

i always check double triple what i buying, but as a seller, i saw many people who even didn't notice that the trade was canceled or didn't notice that i unintentionally give them different item and wonder why i offer them exchange of item or return part of payed price, it's simple, people do not pay attention and that's why they are scammed, this cannot be solved by simple adding some sort of time triggers or similar stuff, because those people will be scammed anyway and that's the only way they can learn from their own mistakes as there are many post and warnings about scamming and they still didn't pay attention until they got scammed.....

Trading system is ancient and pretty much in the same shape it was when the game went live. There were improvements done to trade system due to effort of 3rd parties but GGG did very little to improve user experience related to trading.

Path of Exile has regular content updates. GGG releases steady stream of updates aimed at improving game's engine. New game mechanics are introduced and old mechanics are revamped. Trading system was not touched in ages.

I still recall how I was "taught" a lesson when I sold Shavronne's Wrappings to a good soul who willingly relieved me of the possession of such useless item. I got my lesson and know better now but that does not mean I wish similar experience upon others.

I was also subject to several scam attempts but luckily never fell prey to them, however, those accidents firmly confirmed my conviction to avoid trading as much as possible in the future.

People are horrible beings, especially in situations where there are no repercussion to their conduct. I hate how GGG took the easy way out of this problem by saying it is none of their business and their gave up on any form of policing and regulation of trade.

PoE is no longer a niche game played by few hardcore fans. The community now has 1000s of people playing the game every day. I believe we deserve to have a trade system better than the bare bones shit we have now.
"
SenecaKV wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:
@OP

is the two or five ex trade too much for u? if answer is yes, then pay attention what u accept by clicking on button, if no, why do u whine about scams?

i always check double triple what i buying, but as a seller, i saw many people who even didn't notice that the trade was canceled or didn't notice that i unintentionally give them different item and wonder why i offer them exchange of item or return part of payed price, it's simple, people do not pay attention and that's why they are scammed, this cannot be solved by simple adding some sort of time triggers or similar stuff, because those people will be scammed anyway and that's the only way they can learn from their own mistakes as there are many post and warnings about scamming and they still didn't pay attention until they got scammed.....

Thank you for sharing this. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

"
Baron01 wrote:
I still recall how I was "taught" a lesson when I sold Shavronne's Wrappings to a good soul who willingly relieved me of the possession of such useless item. I got my lesson and know better now but that does not mean I wish similar experience upon others.

Ah, it's a shame you had to learn the hard way, mate. This is exactly what people like me are trying to prevent. If we make people aware that they do in fact have to be vigilant, they won't have to learn the hard way, like you did.

Falling back on having our "tools" do the work for us though, I feel is a pointless exercise. As SenecaKV has so aptly pointed out, it would only be a matter of time before scammers find a new way to take the hard earned drops and currency from the people who don't care to check what they're doing.

It's a bit like driving your car blindfolded. Should you take off the blindfold, or design a car that drives for you?

NO GOOGLE, NO! BAD GOOGLE! No chewing on my question!
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jul 18, 2019, 10:24:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info