Bait-and-switch scams are very easy to minimise, so why haven't you done this already, GGG?

This is all your assumption. Theory crafting. You have no idea what AH will do to a game and there are examples of AHs which did not immediately destroy whatever they get put into.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Whats there to think? I've already experienced an AH in Diablo 3. There was nothing any of you suggests. The market was not dominated by certain individuals. You could find a good item and sell it, trades were not worth a pittance. It was easy to equip your character with great gear too while the very best remained prohibitively expensive as it should. The detractors always say that AH did D3 in even though they cant quite pin down why thats the case other than it being Blizzard's chosen scapegoat.

D3 at launch was get boosted to 70 by a friend in 15 mins, buy near perfect gear instantly on AH for next to nothing exactly with the stats you wanted, then die to A2 fly swarm thingies in Torment 2 and quit.

Well, that's what it was for me and my friends anyway. I did come back for a while after they got rid of the damn thing.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
So you only played it at launch for a day? Grats, guess you are not aware of the items which got bought for thousands of dollars later on. Unless you consider thousands of dollars next to nothing.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Jul 13, 2019, 12:25:04 PM
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
AH is not some boogeyman that destroys games. Although GGG made sure to make it sound like this and some people listened, haha

I guess you never played D3 at launch.

I guess you never played any other game with an actual AH . D3 one is a bad example. Try Guild Wars 2 or Runescape with its Grand Exchange.

Edit: I also love how people mentioned D3 as the holy grail of AH, considering it had RMT mechanic added to it.
Last edited by andreicde on Jul 13, 2019, 12:29:06 PM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
So you only played it at launch for a day? Grats, guess you are not aware of the items which got bought for thousands of dollars later on. Unless you consider thousands of dollars next to nothing.

Did I say that? Hm. Funny, could have sworn I didn't.

"
andreicde wrote:
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
AH is not some boogeyman that destroys games. Although GGG made sure to make it sound like this and some people listened, haha

I guess you never played D3 at launch.

I guess you never played any other game with an actual AH . D3 one is a bad example. Try Guild Wars 2 or Runescape with its Grand Exchange.

Edit: I also love how people mentioned D3 as the holy grail of AH, considering it had RMT mechanic added to it.

8 years of WoW, 16 years and counting of RS.

Bad comparison though. RS itemisation is waaaay different to PoE. WoW is also very different. The best gear comes from raids, content you MUST engage, not from AH.

In PoE that would be completely different, just like it was on D3. My point stands.

Last edited by Xavathos on Jul 13, 2019, 12:33:04 PM
Hah I guess I didn't see the swarms thing. What you said however has nothing to do with AH but game balance first and foremost. Second it was possible even at launch to beat inferno but I guess you either did not have a good build or your items were not completely perfect.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Jul 13, 2019, 12:34:18 PM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Hah I guess I didn't see the swarms thing. What you said however has nothing to do with AH but game balance first and foremost. Second it was possible even at launch to beat inferno but I guess you either did not have a good build or your items were not completely perfect.

Maybe, probably, as much as you can even have a build in D3 at launch. Even top streamers were struggling, but for the wrong reasons. Damage of mobs was way too high and people thought they just needed better gear, which put even more emphasis on the AH. It was a complete and utter disaster. I mean even Blizz ended up admitting that, so it's pointless to say it was fine imo.

ARPGs with classic itemisation just should not have an AH. Trading is even questionable. I'm glad it's there, don't get me wrong. I don't have time for SSF, but I think it's the best way to play an ARPG.

Last edited by Xavathos on Jul 13, 2019, 12:51:17 PM
But things changed. The AH stuck around for a long time. Besides, you are saying it was poorly implemented not that it is inherently a bad thing.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
But things changed. The AH stuck around for a long time. Besides, you are saying it was poorly implemented not that it is inherently a bad thing.

I guess this was written before my edit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info