Bait-and-switch scams are very easy to minimise, so why haven't you done this already, GGG?

Yeah, he was being sarcastic. Please don't derail the topic, Fruz. :(
Tower defence gimmick? Nope.
Main NPC with a name straight out of Diablo? Double nope.
Other games far more worthy of my time and attention? That's three strikes and yer out.

See you in 3.9.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Yeah, he was being sarcastic. Please don't derail the topic, Fruz. :(

Fair enough, it makes a bit more sense to read it like that, that's true.

Well, enjoy the free bump then, I still think that making links more obvious would be a good thing so there you go.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

ShakinGaijin : thread 2612666, Dyadus burning earthquake!RIP :(
[outdated]SweetBreaker : thread 823111 (facebreaker IB witch).
[outdated]Sunder guardian : thread 1831267 [BHC]ripped
Its still true though. They care about new content because this is the main(and honestly the only) draw for people to come back. And they care about cosmetics because $$. QoL improvements do not exactly fit either.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
demon9675 wrote:
Attempts to improve the user experience through visual cues are certainly worthwhile, and this idea that you can't save people from their idiotic, impatient selves kind of becomes a slippery slope for pardoning any visual unclarity or UI inconvenience.

If some % of players will avoid a scam through simple changes, it's worth doing. The fact that statistically some players will still get scammed is kind of irrelevant.

Exactly.

Ultimately, the only legitimate counter to my proposal (a simple but clear indication for significantly more valuable items at a glance, specifics left vague intentionally) is that it wouldn't be worth the devs' time to do it as opposed to potential benefit...and the only people who can legitimately make that counter are of course the devs. Which is why I put their collective name in the title of the thread.

Everything else posted here is just keeping that proposal in GGG's sight. Whether you agree or not, I appreciate the bumps keeping the thread visible. Shows this was a thread worth making despite my misgivings. ^_^

Finally, this is how I remember you. Welcome back, Charan. I hope we can now go back to the realisation that we're on the same team, want the same thing ultimately and start combining our efforts to reach that goal, rather than trying to put other ideas down.

Like I said before, your suggestion is a start, but much more needs to be done if you want to deal with scams in PoE, imo.

As for the bumps, you're most welcome.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
AldarisGrave wrote:
GGG can't code human behaviour. The common denominator between the victims tends to be impatience or inexperience. Considering if your using the trade system from this site you see the item, how many sockets it has, how many links it has and what stats it has. GGG then goes even further and has us mouse over the item so we have to see it to even complete the trade. What more can they do? Make an instant buyout Auction House?

An excellent post. Two absolute solutions to the problem posted right here.

1. Careful consideration while trading.
2. Instant buyout market system.

I can't ever be 100% sure of course, but I wouldn't hold my breath for option 2 here. So that leaves option 1, which is one that I've been promoting since the first scam happened. Thanks to various mechanics in place as perfectly stated by AldarisGrave above, you effectively cannot scam a careful player.

If we inspired players to be careful when trading, especially when trading highly priced items, which realistically you do not do more than a few times per league, we effectively eliminate ALL trade scams and would only leave the services, which are an entirely different beast.

This is why I've been vocal "against" Charan's suggestion. It's not that it's a bad suggestion, not at all. It is however, in my humble opinion, quite simply not enough if you want to truly stop scams.

Last edited by Xavathos on Jul 12, 2019, 4:57:20 AM
"inspiring" noobs wont truly stop scams either, I am not sure why you think it would.
To everyone saying that small changes don't help much I advise taking the basic ergonomics course. And someone should probably let the consumer industry know that putting up those big warning signs in bright colors is a waste of space and ink. Just writing 'TOXIC' is perfectly fine, if you pulled a -lol didn't read- that's on you.

That aside, I'd say that devs would probably like fated items to look a bit different from their normal versions, like breach items do.
Есть один путь - наверх!

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
"inspiring" noobs wont truly stop scams either, I am not sure why you think it would.

If there was such a statistic, I'd be more than happy to show you my track record of being scammed and the amount and value of trades I've done since launch. (Would be an interesting graph regardless)

What I mean is though, ever since I've run into a few scams, I've gotten more and more careful about when I press that accept button and I'm happy to see more and more players doing the same, as stated before.

When I sell items (rare gear) very often now people pause for 5-10 seconds before accepting. They don't lag and they aren't distracted, the opposite is actually true. They are actively checking if I'm offering the actual item they whispered me and are paying me for. Checking the name, the stats, the links and then pressing accept.

Not that I would ever try it, but it would be literally impossible for me to scam this person and that makes me happy to see, which is why I don't understand why you brush this off as if it can never be achieved, Johny. This is quite literally an absolute solution to the problem in front of us. The only question remains how we're going to raise awareness, especially among new players.

The solution is in ourselves. No amount of barriers GGG can code in will ever fully mitigate human error.

If you care so much about your items that you write a detailed wall of text on the forum about the scam, why didn't you put that care into the trade that led to it? That may sound condescending, it's not meant that way at all. I think the answer to that question is the key to making trade safer in PoE.

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by Xavathos on Jul 12, 2019, 5:23:32 AM
Ok, so victim blaming it is, the victims should improve themselves instead, the game should not strive to improve itself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info