Bait-and-switch scams are very easy to minimise, so why haven't you done this already, GGG?

GGG can't code human behaviour. The common denominator between the victims tends to be impatience or inexperience. Considering if your using the trade system from this site you see the item, how many sockets it has, how many links it has and what stats it has. GGG then goes even further and has us mouse over the item so we have to see it to even complete the trade. What more can they do? Make an instant buyout Auction House?
Last edited by AldarisGrave on Jul 12, 2019, 2:46:06 AM
Haven't read this whole thread, but my proposal for a graphical identification for 6Ls would be some sort of glossy glint that moves across the six links every few seconds or so (the kind of thing you'd see in an animation of a reflective or shiny surface). It'd start as soon as an item is highlighted or its links are visible and would be a subtle way of identifying if an item is a 6L or not at a glance.

Or just turn the links white when an item is 6Led if you wanna be minimalist about it.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Jul 12, 2019, 2:50:01 AM
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:

On top of that i think adding additional information about links and sockets would textually look ugly. If it was optional i would probably turn it off.

Again, had they been there from the start you likely wouldn't care. So what's the difference between that and adding them? Are you THAT attached to how things are now, precisely and exactly, that a harmless but distinct visual addition that would likely reduce the incidences of these low-level scams would still offend you?

Use your imagination here. And answer honestly. Don't argue just for the sake of it.
"I fear the developer of one game, especially one that praises its reddit community and ignores its own official forum." -- St Thomas Aquinas

Official Oni-no-Oniichan of the Path of Exile forums. *headtilt*
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jul 12, 2019, 2:50:31 AM
Attempts to improve the user experience through visual cues are certainly worthwhile, and this idea that you can't save people from their idiotic, impatient selves kind of becomes a slippery slope for pardoning any visual unclarity or UI inconvenience.

If some % of players will avoid a scam through simple changes, it's worth doing. The fact that statistically some players will still get scammed is kind of irrelevant.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
"
demon9675 wrote:
Attempts to improve the user experience through visual cues are certainly worthwhile, and this idea that you can't save people from their idiotic, impatient selves kind of becomes a slippery slope for pardoning any visual unclarity or UI inconvenience.

If some % of players will avoid a scam through simple changes, it's worth doing. The fact that statistically some players will still get scammed is kind of irrelevant.

Exactly.

Ultimately, the only legitimate counter to my proposal (a simple but clear indication for significantly more valuable items at a glance, specifics left vague intentionally) is that it wouldn't be worth the devs' time to do it as opposed to potential benefit...and the only people who can legitimately make that counter are of course the devs. Which is why I put their collective name in the title of the thread.

Everything else posted here is just keeping that proposal in GGG's sight. Whether you agree or not, I appreciate the bumps keeping the thread visible. Shows this was a thread worth making despite my misgivings. ^_^
"I fear the developer of one game, especially one that praises its reddit community and ignores its own official forum." -- St Thomas Aquinas

Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jul 12, 2019, 3:13:37 AM
I don't know about that. GGG's time is split between cosmetics and working hard on a 3 month league. Doing QoL changes, no matter how small they are, may interact negatively with that.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
I don't know about that. GGG's time is split between cosmetics and working hard on a 3 month league. Doing QoL changes, no matter how small they are, may interact negatively with that.

Absolutely it may, which is why I've made it a question here. OTOH you may have noticed they added that level indicator QoL for gems so it's not like they're completely averse to the notion. And I go out of my way to try not to make suggestions that I know are totally unfeasible based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the inner workings of GGG.

__

As for why we're seeing more complaints now? I think it's basically what I said in the first post: Legion has been smoother than the past few leagues and no one topic stands out as a big point of contention. Not on the same level as say nets in Bestiary or the fiddliness of the Syndicate minigame. I see no other reason why a scam that's been perpetrated for years would now dominate the front page of two of the biggest boards on here. Unless the Legion milkshake brought all the gullible boys to GGG's yard, and again I see no reason why this league and not others.

So it's a matter of visibility. Which is...appropriate, since the visibility of the matter is about the visibility of the matter.

Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jul 12, 2019, 4:14:49 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:

On top of that i think adding additional information about links and sockets would textually look ugly. If it was optional i would probably turn it off.

Again, had they been there from the start you likely wouldn't care. So what's the difference between that and adding them? Are you THAT attached to how things are now, precisely and exactly, that a harmless but distinct visual addition that would likely reduce the incidences of these low-level scams would still offend you?

Use your imagination here. And answer honestly. Don't argue just for the sake of it.

honestly i would be bothered if there was a distinct glow difference between links and items.but i am not against it as long as seeing it is optional. just like the item slot showcase is optional this could be the same.
saying that i think it wouldnt make a difference on scam numbers positively or negatively.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
Don't see why it cant be optional. Alt showing links is optional, this will be the same in practice.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Jul 12, 2019, 4:22:52 AM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
I don't know about that. GGG's time is split between cosmetics and working hard on a 3 month league.

I lol'd.

Remember when they said that they developped Synthesis over the Christmas holidays ?
Remember how they have not been polishing league content for a while now ?
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Completely outdated fun builds :
SweetBreaker : thread 823111 ( facebreaker infernal blow witch ).
Sunder guardian (poisoninGaijin) : thread 1831267 [BHC] !rip

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info