Bait-and-switch scams are very easy to minimise, so why haven't you done this already, GGG?

Probably all of them. Every time I've been scammed in a game I sent them "douche" and then proceeded to find the situation pretty funny. One time I got hit with a crazy one, two guys tag teamed me for 15 plat and the last piece they needed for Zephyr at Maroo's in Warframe.
Level 9999 Majin
See, that's a con job I can almost get behind because at least it took some effort and teamwork. I think part of what really nags me with these bait-and-switches is how low effort they are for the potential gain. And how preventable, as I've already made abundantly clear.

I remember reading about the ridiculous scam and betrayal the Guiding Hand Social Club perpetrated on Eve Online. It was legendary then, it's still legendary today. If it's part of the game, then that's fine. I don't believe bait and switch scams were ever meant to be a part of PoE, but if a dev could pull themselves away from the fawning masses over at reddit for a second and say otherwise here, I'd be more than happy to eat my words. But I think they know this isn't Eve Online, despite their possible aspirations to the contrary.
"The end of learning is the beginning of death" -- Eramir
...And it's hard to learn if you're unable to admit when you're wrong.
You'd think a teacher would understand that.
"
Boem wrote:
Cmon Fruz don't lose your cool, don't you remember those good old newbie days when you where buying items for 6.5 exalts and building characters around loottables from the hardest content in the game?

Have some empathy man.

Peace,

-Boem-

I lol'd !
thank you :')

It's not like the other guy gets it though.

"
Yeah, people value their time. And when something like that happens to them they will just say "f this sh*t" and move on to something else.

If you throw away something you spent time acquiring easily, you're not valuing your time ...


"
Everything you've said is justified for someone who is already in this game for some time

It's justified for someone who has a brain and values his/her time, that's all there is to it.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

ShakinGaijin : thread 2612666, Dyadus burning earthquake!RIP :(
[outdated]SweetBreaker : thread 823111 (facebreaker IB witch).
[outdated]Sunder guardian : thread 1831267 [BHC]ripped
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 11, 2019, 11:40:55 PM
"
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Have you understood at all what I was saying???
Do you even remember how it is to be a new uneducated PoE player???

Did YOU understand at all what I said ???
The more uneducated, the more time it takes to achieve something, the MORE careful you should be when giving the fruit of those efforts to somebody else, seriously.

Can't people VALUE anything ??? ( here = their time )


You literally specified "grind and grind", which means that the new player in your example KNOWS the value of what he is exchanging, like wtf !



Yeah, people value their time. And when something like that happens to them they will just say "f this sh*t" and move on to something else.

This is a game. Newbie sees a sword in a trade box that's just like in some xy guide happy to have it finally. He doesn't double check. It's a sword just like from the guide pic, except it's not.
NO ONE is downloading PoE and starting to play it with a mindset "i have to be careful or ill get scammed for my invested time and be back to 0".
People have that IRL and if they need to have that same sh*t here, well guess how many scammed new players will continue to play.

Everything you've said is justified for someone who is already in this game for some time but not for new people who just doesn't know they should expect scams or there are items that look almost identical.

this problem seems to be just recently appeared. whether because of new players coming in or the price difference caused by one skill's overhaul. probably both. but i cant fault the items being similar here. i am sure ggg can make some art changes and add more visualasions to the links but people will be careless. they will get scammed no matter what. i just cant see scammers being disappearing or decreasing because of slight changes like these.
a scammer can scam players because players being careless during trade. not because items are similar or links arent visable. at least i would like to think that isnt the primary reason here. i know charan has good intentions but i lost my hope long time ago.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:

this problem seems to be just recently appeared. whether because of new players coming in or the price difference caused by one skill's overhaul. probably both. but i cant fault the items being similar here. i am sure ggg can make some art changes and add more visualasions to the links but people will be careless. they will get scammed no matter what. i just cant see scammers being disappearing or decreasing because of slight changes like these.
a scammer can scam players because players being careless during trade. not because items are similar or links arent visable. at least i would like to think that isnt the primary reason here. i know charan has good intentions but i lost my hope long time ago.


Think it's definitely just the influx of noobs over the past year, because people were doing the Beltimber/Grelwood switcheroo a lot last league and in Betrayal.
These scams are the reason as of today I am no longer playing PoE. Got scammed out of 4ex due to me not paying extra close attention to the Carcass Jack I was buying. Was going for a 6-link and it was a 4/2-link missing the top-right link. I realize my negligence is why I lost out on that but I still shouldn't have to pay that close attention and actually get what was advertised. Until some drastic changes come to how trade is handled in PoE I'm moving on to other visceral combat ARPGs. Last Epoch is lookin good.
Last edited by burningleo on Jul 12, 2019, 1:36:04 AM
"
burningleo wrote:
These scams are the reason as of today I am no longer playing PoE. Got scammed out of 4ex due to me not paying extra close attention to the Carcass Jack I was buying. Was going for a 6-link and it was a 4/2-link missing the top-right link. I realize my negligence is why I lost out on that but I still shouldn't have to pay that close attention and actually get what was advertised. Until some drastic changes come to how trade is handled in PoE I'm moving on to other visceral combat ARPGs. Last Epoch is lookin mindless and boring.
Level 9999 Majin
"
burningleo wrote:
I still shouldn't have to pay that close attention and actually get what was advertised.

its not what advertised. its what offered to you and is what you got.
he offered you 4 and a 2 link and you accepted it.
lemme ask you a question. would you pay more attention if items had link numbers in their names? i dont think the answer is yes. once careless is always careless.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
Last edited by MrsDeath_ on Jul 12, 2019, 1:54:27 AM
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
once careless is always careless.


This is utter balderdash. You're creating a binary where one does not exist. People aren't simply 'completely careless' or 'completely careful'. People have good days and people have bad days. We're not robots. Well, you might be. All I ever see you do is get all the achievements and then post pretty much what you'd expect from someone who gets all the achievements. But everyone else? They're a complex bundle of moods, environmental factors, diet, needs, wants, and so on. I might be completely focused one hour, and tired or unwell the next. My ability to discern finer details fluctuates, as does my chances of making mistakes. It's called being human.

Do you not understand what 'at a glance' means? A glow indicating something is 6L and not 6S, or even the number (6) rather than (4), is MUCH easier to distinguish than what we currently have.

You're not going to change my mind on this one so don't bother. There's a whole industry out there devoted to the production of good visual representation for quick, clear consumption. It's called 'graphic design'. Even if you don't get the importance of it, I'm sure someone at TencentGGG does. I'm not sure that person is speaking up loudly enough at the meetings. Or even invited to them.
"The end of learning is the beginning of death" -- Eramir
...And it's hard to learn if you're unable to admit when you're wrong.
You'd think a teacher would understand that.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jul 12, 2019, 2:38:36 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
once careless is always careless.


This is utter balderdash. You're creating a binary where one does not exist. People aren't simply 'completely careless' or 'completely careful'.

Do you not understand what 'at a glance' means? A glow indicating something is 6L and not 6S, or even the number (6) rather than (4), is MUCH easier to distinguish than what we currently have.

You're not going to change my mind on this one so don't bother. There's a whole industry out there devoted to the production of good visual representation for quick, clear consumption. It's called 'graphic design'. Even if you don't get the importance of it, I'm sure someone at TencentGGG does. I'm not sure that person is speaking up loudly enough at the meetings. Or even invited to them.

And i dont think i ll change my mind around the reason why these scams happen.
On top of that i think adding additional information about links and sockets would textually look ugly. If it was optional i would probably turn it off.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info