Bait-and-switch scams are very easy to minimise, so why haven't you done this already, GGG?

It's much more efficient to make petty crime harder to commit than to run around hunting down petty criminals.

Here's what you do: look at the scam 'reports', realise how many of them are the result of wildly different items looking too alike at a glance, and change their appearance to match their value. There's absolutely no reason why a 6S should look so similar to a 6L, or why two swords of vastly different value should have the exact same art (ignoring the background difference, which is, well, the background).

This is something they should have done ages ago, but I guess other leagues had bigger problems and people were too busy complaining about other things. Now that we have a league that's relatively smooth and well-liked, the frequency of scamming and scamming attempts has become the Topic Of The Day.

It shouldn't need to be.

I will repeat: TencentGGG should just make *any* items that are easily mistaken at a glance different at a glance. I feel like any other developer would have done this long ago, but we are all so very forgiving of these guys because we remember when they were indie, only a handful of people, struggling to make it, etc. etc. Yeah, I think we're way past that.

Consider the 6L/6S bait and switch. I completely agree with everyone who says that it's hard to see the links sometimes, and more than once I've wondered why certain skill-support combinations aren't working because they weren't actually linked. The item art can sometimes exacerbate that. It wouldn't take much work to increase the visibility of the links somehow, or give 6L items some sort of an at-a-glance indicator that 6S non-6L items don't have.

The same goes for the lame Void/Starforge scam. This was inevitable once immoral people figured out that an expensive item had a visually-identical cheaper version. How hard would it be for TencentGGG to dye one or the other? Again, the background might be different but if this is a scam people are trying and people are complaining about, then it's a scam people are pulling off.

Sure, you can say 'pay attention!' to both of these but you'd be less apt to blame the victim were the victim you. And one day it might be.

And no, contrary to anything you might say or do, you're not perfect. You can make mistakes. I don't think it's fair at all for TencentGGG to allow your momentary lapses, your very human errors, to become prime scammer bait.

This one's on TencentGGG and no one else. If they won't hunt down the scammers (a serious resource drain), and if they won't allow naming-and-shaming (for good reason -- witch-hunts are bad), then the onus is on THEM to come up with effective solutions that reduce the incidences.

And to me, it seems pretty clear that these scams are not elaborate con jobs. They're just an easy abuse of the game's UI/visual shortcomings. Simplest solution: make the bait-and-switch much harder.

Note: this is one of those win-wins where if you happen to find the current situation fine, you don't have to say anything; you'll suffer nothing from this change. So feel free to not resort to easy victim blaming just because it hasn't been you yet. It will NEVER be me because I don't trade. That doesn't mean I don't see this is a problem and it doesn't mean I don't think the devs should do something about it.
Tower defence gimmick? Nope.
Main NPC with a name straight out of Diablo? Double nope.
Other games far more worthy of my time and attention? That's three strikes and yer out.

See you in 3.9.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on Jul 11, 2019, 2:01:39 AM
Last bumped on Jul 18, 2019, 11:08:03 PM
With some armours, some links are not that easy to see for sure.
Making links more obvious without being too flashy/ugly should definitely be possible imho.

Even some kind of simple ( discreet but not too much obviously ) border around connected socket would just do the job.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

ShakinGaijin : thread 2612666, Dyadus burning earthquake!RIP :(
[outdated]SweetBreaker : thread 823111 (facebreaker IB witch).
[outdated]Sunder guardian : thread 1831267 [BHC]ripped
It's pretty clear they want scammers though. They do so much to keep the game having a classic feel, I like it.
Level 9999 Majin
Regardless of what anyone thinks of scammers and those being scammed: having the links showing beside the name just like when they are on the ground would be a great QoL feature. Being able to darken or display the weapon/armor in grayscale to make the links more visible while a fusing is on your cursor would help as well.
So curiously enough, every example of a bait-and-switch scam I can find online is sort of the opposite of what's going on here. Typically a seller will lure a buyer with a cheap offer (the bait) but then say the cheap offer is gone and only the more expensive version is available (the switch).

I suspect a better word for what people are doing with PoE is a replica 'dupe' but that has other connotations when it comes to gaming ('duplication'). It's still absolutely a scam. Any transaction where one party is trying to deceive the other as to the nature of the goods is a scam. Say you pay $100 for an authentic X but at the last minute, hoping you're not paying attention, the seller switches the authentic X for a cheaper knockoff that won't perform as well or last as long.

There's no way that's not by definition a scam.

Tower defence gimmick? Nope.
Main NPC with a name straight out of Diablo? Double nope.
Other games far more worthy of my time and attention? That's three strikes and yer out.

See you in 3.9.
"
Fruz wrote:
With some armours, some links are not that easy to see for sure.
Making links more obvious without being too flashy/ugly should definitely be possible imho.

Even some kind of simple ( discreet but not too much obviously ) border around connected socket would just do the job.

i would like something like square socket background for unlinked and round one for inked ones.
sure you could stil sceam with a 4link+2link on a 6 socket itembut i´m not sure how to prevent this without overdoing it.
a "simple" fix would be indicate the links on items in such a way for the player to see them actually linked if they are linked..

another thing would be "number of links: X" on the item as well..
Turning players into payers. Anti NPC-Echo chamber.

3.8 so far: High Templar Venarius is back and some tower defense league mechanic with it.

“I don't bow, curtsy, or give a shit.” - Kabal.
Last edited by Xystre on Jul 11, 2019, 3:40:00 AM
As for 6 links I'd say an easy solution would be to have brackets by the name of the item which could additionally be saying [6L].

For example: Miracle Gear Hunting Rifle [6L]
Last edited by y3lw0rC on Jul 11, 2019, 4:12:09 AM
If people arent even looking at the names of items they are buying how do you expect them to read the number of links?
This is absolutely useless. Players need to pay attention to the items they are buying. There is no other way. If they cant tell apart starforge from void they are going to get scammed every time no matter what warning you put on them. You cant blame or fault ggg on player's bad desicions. This should be fairly clear to any experienced player that these scams are result of inexperienced players starting to trade.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
y3lw0rC wrote:
As for 6 links I'd say an easy solution would be to have brackets by the name of the item which could additionally be saying [6L].

For example: Miracle Gear Hunting Rifle [6L]

I like this idea.
Turning players into payers. Anti NPC-Echo chamber.

3.8 so far: High Templar Venarius is back and some tower defense league mechanic with it.

“I don't bow, curtsy, or give a shit.” - Kabal.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info