Can we get a Dev Manifesto on why Energy Shield was buffed when it was 2x better than Life?

So not that long ago you nerfed ES, and made it arguably close to the value per opportunity cost of Life. It was still superior (less investment for more Effective health + an extra flask slot for OP unique flasks) but things were at least ARGUABLE. With some people wrongly suggesting that it was too nerfed.

We saw clearly in Delve that in fact ES was still significantly better than life, and this was confirmed in Betrayal with things like Occultist being some of the strongest "non immortality gimmick" deepest Delvers. With Mana Guardians with 20,000 ES actually delving deep even when no supporting others (SR + RF) and HOWA builds, CI Jugg's and other ES builds easilly handling stuff that one shots most life builds.

And here we are, with a bunch of Frankly inexplicable ES Buffs... ES can be seen to be objectively superior for the last two leagues and this league we get an overturning of old Development manifestos its almost like you guys have employees who aren't aware of OLD DESIGN DECISIONS and are just tweaking things and making choices that are 100% nonsensical.

In the past GGG has said that Life has superior access to leech, and Life flasks, and because of this Life needs to have higher cost, and ES needs to have more raw eHP.

This is no longer remotely the case, in fact you can make the argument that Life has gone from aproximately 2 times worse, to now aproximately 3 times worse. In terms of EVERYTHING.

Assuming a 6k life build and a 12k ES build from last league, becoming a 18k ES build in this league we have:

x3 worse leech (assuming GR)
x3 worse regen
x3 lower effective health pool

So is there a PLAN? Do you guys plan to make it possible for Life to comfortably reach 14,000-16,000? Are we going to see Life flasks buffed? Is the Life leech gem going to get a More multiplier like the crazy what were they even thinking ES leech gem?

It really feels 100% inexplicable that you have buffed ES with the easiest leech in the game, using the highest DPS skills in the game, with the best access to crit nodes, and the most effective health pools. Its hard to imagine that someone at GGG who is actually in charge of overall design, actually ok'ed these changes because they LITERALLY CONTRADICT EVERYTHING YOU GUYS HAVE SAID on the subject of ES versus Life.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Mar 18, 2019, 11:34:40 PM
Last bumped on Mar 20, 2019, 7:48:50 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
ES just locks you into 2 ascendancies and top side of the tree not to add the cancerous stun thingie when you go CI. I agree that you don't need much investment for a nice ES pool.

Also rember that when you get ES on your gear you are not getting armour evasion or the dodge chance keystones. And ES leech used to be trash now it's just too ez to get on the tree.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Last edited by IIPheXII on Mar 18, 2019, 11:34:49 PM
"
IIPheXII wrote:
ES just locks you into 2 ascendancies and top side of the tree not to add the cancerous stun thingie when you go CI. I agree that you don't need much investment for a nice ES pool.

Also rember that when you get ES on your gear you are not getting armour evasion or the dodge chance keystones. And ES leech used to be trash now it's just too ez to get on the tree.

Oh man locked into the best Ascendancies AND the best part of the tree? Whats next? Are you going to tell me they also are locked into best skills (spells)? And the best scaling (Crit)?

Man you're right, ES sucks, its "locked into" all of the objectively best things you can do in the game...
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
^ this basically

MoM and Acrobatics are easily the best keystones in the game, i'll be honest I don't even know what the keystones are anymore down south because they are totally shit and irrelevant.

Melee is unplayable bad, the only bow build is based around a unique and only played bc it's a magic find build because they nerfed quill rain.

Also they buffed chaos skills this league which totally needed it and introduced the most grossly OP skill since pre ignite nerf flameblast, theres literally a node on the tree that gives said skill FREE increased duration and increased AoE support gems. And it has built in Curse on Hit and turns said linked curse gems into dmg and duration multipliers at a pretty hefty amount.
Last edited by BossOfThisGym on Mar 18, 2019, 11:45:53 PM
"
alhazred70 wrote:
So not that long ago you nerfed ES, and made it arguably close to the value per opportunity cost of Life. It was still superior (less investment for more Effective health + an extra flask slot for OP unique flasks) but things were at least ARGUABLE. With some people wrongly suggesting that it was too nerfed.

No, not less investment, at all.
You needed to craft good ES pieces with fossils to get something correct, it meant more investement to even get started.

You lost me there.

I agree that adding ES leech sources ( that still allow life leech ) everywhere was a stupid decision, that it is breaking the game balance.
I have no idea what GGG is thinking, but it's clearly screwing the game balance more and more, and the recent leech additions are a clear sign of it.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
short answer: "because they can"
long answer: "b e c a u s e t h e y c a n"

the balance and game design is a total fiasco right now. most of the fundamentals that make POE 'a game' are already torn down or lobotomized

armour is useless (ya ya ya it works i know but it is the least effective of all other phys mitigation options), EV is used for secondary effect (because blind is 50% evasion just because), mana is used for MoM - not for casting spells, spells deal INCREADIBLE damage just because (take ANY of your spellcasters and replace its skill with lvl ONE Divine Ire. enjoy), melee has been removed from the game (and it will NOT return in 3.7. only noobs or stubborn will pick melee over spells. even 'dead' Arc is great all-round skill..) the list goes on

ES gear and ES ascendancies (trickster is MUCH stronger than occultist for defenses) got buffed so people have a reason to craft ES gear (both regular rolls and 'synthetic' implicit). AR/EV gear gets pretty much NOTHING from new crafts. ES gets A LOT. suspicious coincidence

however.. i think that honeymoon has ended. the general feedback and dicord between pre-leage hype and post-release reality opened too many eyes around the playerbase

final nail in the coffin has been gameplay-on-rail assumption that players will happily jump from one side activity to the other clocking even longer hours (the longer we play the more we spend). and while build-on-rails has been accepted, the gameplay.. nope
Because GGG have no idea WTF they introduce in the game and Then once it is broken use emergency nerf .

Balance is is not a balance team at all, They nerf shit they will buff back 3 months later .
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
Last edited by Head_Less on Mar 19, 2019, 3:59:05 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:
trickster is MUCH stronger than occultist for defenses

/rofl

If I were you, I would let people who know and have experienced the new content/current balance to avoid throwing such blatant nonsense around, really.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

/rofl

If I were you, I would let people who know and have experienced the new content/current balance to avoid throwing such blatant nonsense around, really.

trickster easily afk's in depth 2311 Aul, ghost shroud is effectively 9-11k es regen with easy caped spell dodge and can hit evasion cap.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
"
Head_Less wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

/rofl

trickster easily afk's in depth 2311 Aul, ghost shroud is effectively 9-11k es regen with easy caped spell dodge and can hit evasion cap.

Riiiight, trickster easily has 200k evasion after all ( on top of that 10k ES, obviously ).

Last edited by Fruz on Mar 19, 2019, 8:42:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info