Light Radius mechanic and difficulty seeing because the game is so dark.

Why is there even a light radius mechanic? This doesn't really seem to help me be able to see any better in-game. It's such a dark game. For the amount of detail in all of the bad guys, and the armor and everything..I feel like I cant see where i'm going half the time. I just play the game with the expanded mini map on top of everything, ignoring the graphics, because otherwise i'd just get stuck on all of the obstacles.

Is there any way to make it brighter so i can admire the work you put into drawing all of these fancy graphics in the first place?
Last bumped on Mar 3, 2019, 1:16:03 PM
They did not add any actual display adjustments like gamma, brightness, contrast, etc to keep the feel of the game a certain way. This is a huge oversight for console since we don't have nearly the same amount of control of these as PC.

The only half-assed work around I have is changing my TV settings and having a separate display profile just for PoE. This is not ideal and makes the game look washed out, but atleast I can see stuff better. For those thinking its just our TV's being the issue, I can guarantee you are wrong. 4K LG 42" with HDMI (Monster brand double shielded) in, X1X with HDR enabled. Which looks beautiful on just about ever other game.
Xbox Gamertag - Corrison
Mixer - https://mixer.com/Corrison
I am definitely not one of those who values "atmosphere" - I just want to be able to see and hear what is going on. (Having said that, I was extremely impressed by the background music in Dune II.)

I adjusted my TV settings in an attempt to just be better able to read the on-screen text with mixed results. If I move my chair closer to the TV another time, my feet will be resting on the TV stand.

Despite being larger, I find that the TV screen is not as detailed as a decent PC monitor and the lack of "mouse over" abilities means that I have little clue regarding the import of many of the on-screen info icons.

I made the jump from PC to Xbox with D3 after playing it a few years on PC. So I already knew what most of the stuff meant (and did) and I was able to play Pinball Wizard style (blind, plays by sense of smell ...) reasonably well. But never having developed a PC based sense of smell for POE, it's pretty much run around trying not to die and just get in as many licks as possible.

Edit: I find the lighting on the Lunaris side of Harbour Bridge to really be to my liking - I can see clearly but the overhead map is not washed out by a bright background (like Beach).
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
Last edited by AnExile_onthePath on Feb 21, 2019, 9:58:18 PM
The game is indeed really dark, compared to pc it's really awful, even with adjusted tv settings, and xbox gamma settings the game can be e.g to dark in dungeons, but adjusting e.g xbox settings for that, will make other areas to bright.

Would be great that area's are balanced more, make smaller difference between the dark area's and brighter area's.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info