Got butchered by level 80 Mastermind

This I don't remember from my first (and only) successful attempt at level 72.

The totem is in a fkn frenzy, attacking with speeds exceeding the final phase of the previous encounter, even half-way through the fight. it's so fast, almost as if the wave moves in two lanes simultaneously.

And that "raise the dead" attack when explosive corpses start moving your way - AND they cannot be targeted AND are unaffected by curses e.g. Temporal Chains - is pure BS.

It may be "Uber Mastermind" at this level, with those extra skills - but it feels very unfair.
I got destroyed on my first attempt at Uber Elder as well some time ago, but that one at least felt like I had a fighting chance.
this one ... what the fuck am I supposed to do?
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jan 18, 2019, 12:55:28 PM
Last bumped on Jan 19, 2019, 12:05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
yea its pretty hard one.
from my experiences i do stay around the middle and usually attack when there is an opportunity to strike but that works on range.
other choice would be to stack up chaos res. since whole fight based on chaos res that helps aswell.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
Don't bother posting here, all the players who live on this game 24/7 will tell you your dumb or you don't understand the game. I spent 20+ hours doing prophecies for the pale council only to get slaughtered after all that effort.

we aren't allowed to make suggestions because casual players literally have no voice here. If you have a family, a job, or any other hobby, this game isn't for you. They make quests so easy a baby could do it, then scale the bosses so that the only people who succeed are the ones who live in their parents basements.

I agree with you 100%, prepare for the incoming of lifeless zombies who will crucify you for suggesting this game have balance that doesn't just support those who haven't seen sunlight for months.
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
yea its pretty hard one.
from my experiences i do stay around the middle and usually attack when there is an opportunity to strike but that works on range.
other choice would be to stack up chaos res. since whole fight based on chaos res that helps aswell.

Thanks for the helpful tips.
Staying around the middle is what I learned the previous time, but this time the totem was just too fast.

I remember it was mostly physical and fire previously. or does it change at this level?

@KefkatheMad, I'm pleasantly surprised by MrsDeath's response. it means even the non-casuals have trouble with this fight.
Though I feel it's challenging for all the wrong reasons. it's Turbo Mastermind with extra unfairness, unlike things such as Shaper (who's actually one of my favorite fights in the entire game).
Last edited by johnKeys on Jan 18, 2019, 1:07:36 PM
Should I make fun of you or should I help you? 2 personalities screaming!
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
@johnKeys Yeah, as long as the basement dwellers don't have a problem with it, we aren't allowed to say anything on the forum. MrsDeath think's I'm clueless and don't know how to play because I complained about the pale council after spending 20 hours doing all the prophecies only to watch the boss scale in difficulty a solid 100x what the toughest prophecy boss was with no warning, then upon death, we are just supposed to waste another 2 weeks finding or buying the prophecies because the level of difficulty is "acceptable" to people like them.

So if you are a casual player and you invest a week into doing something that one of these lifers can do in 2 days because they spend 20 hours each day doing it, then you don't have a voice here.

As long as the vampires can do it, it's nor a problem, but if one of us casual players has a problem, we get told to shut up or that we are idiots or clueless or whatever else they want to throw at us because we complain about difficulty scaling that comes out of nowhere with no warning that would slaughter any casual player. I sympathize with you 110% but it doesn't matter what I think, the people who rule these forums just like the game itself are the ones who live on it with no families, no jobs, no real world hobbies.

So we are just expected to shut up and enjoy being OHK by all the wonderful bosses that are scaled to basement dweller difficulty.

This game has 5 level of difficulty and all the bosses that make this game worth anything are reserved for level 5 difficulty which is the difficulty that is only beaten by those without a job, a significant other/family or any kind of life that involves having to walk out into the daylight.
Last edited by KefkatheMad on Jan 18, 2019, 1:16:42 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
MrsDeath_ wrote:
yea its pretty hard one.

Thanks for the helpful tips.
Staying around the middle is what I learned the previous time, but this time the totem was just too fast.

I remember it was mostly physical and fire previously. or does it change at this level?

@KefkatheMad, I'm pleasantly surprised by MrsDeath's response. it means even the non-casuals have trouble with this fight.
Though I feel it's challenging for all the wrong reasons. it's Turbo Mastermind with extra unfairness, unlike things such as Shaper (who's actually one of my favorite fights in the entire game).

Now that i play ssf i am kinda having trouble keeping up with chaos res.
I ve killed 3 masterminds so far. First one was relatively easy because i farmed her as levelling so she was low lvl. But last 2 ate my portals like a cheescake.
Mastermind becomes harder as you grind her on higher map tiers. Thats what i got from that last 2 fights.
it seems like her dmg is half phy half fire
https://poedb.tw/us/mon.php?n=Catarina%2C+Master+of+Undeath

i might be wrong but i thought sculpture dealt chaos dmg.

"
KefkatheMad wrote:
@johnKeys Yeah, as long as the basement dwellers don't have a problem with it, we aren't allowed to say anything on the forum. MrsDeath think's I'm clueless and don't know how to play because I complained about the pale council after spending 20 hours doing all the prophecies only to watch the boss scale in difficulty a solid 100x what the toughest prophecy boss was with no warning, then upon death, we are just supposed to waste another 2 weeks finding or buying the prophecies because the level of difficulty is "acceptable" to people like them.

So if you are a casual player and you invest a week into doing something that one of these lifers can do in 2 days because they spend 20 hours each day doing it, then you don't have a voice here.

As long as the vampires can do it, it's nor a problem, but if one of us casual players has a problem, we get told to shut up or that we are idiots or clueless or whatever else they want to throw at us because we complain about difficulty scaling that comes out of nowhere with no warning that would slaughter any casual player. I sympathize with you 110% but it doesn't matter what I think, the people who rule these forums just like the game itself are the ones who live on it with no families, no jobs, no real world hobbies.

So we are just expected to shut up and enjoy being OHK by all the wonderful bosses that are scaled to basement dweller difficulty.

This game has 5 level of difficulty and all the bosses that make this game worth anything are reserved for level 5 difficulty which is the difficulty that is only beaten by those without a job, a significant other/family or any kind of life that involves having to walk out into the daylight.

i rather help john because he has dealt with mastermind before so he has some kind of experience dealing with her thus making his feedback valuable.
he is not blindly hating the game like you but actually trying to point out what went wrong during the fight.
thats commendable unlike your post..

Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
Last edited by MrsDeath_ on Jan 18, 2019, 1:22:04 PM
@MrsDeath thanks again for the DB link.
unfortunately I didn't find any information about the Sculpture. it may indeed be Chaos damage. the most critical bit of info missing is its speed scaling at this level. it gets a lot faster compared to level 72/3, I feel.

@KefkatheMad
There is one common ground between Pale Council and Mastermind: both are far too rare to enjoy, in my opinion.
this was my 2nd Mastermind fight, and while I did beat Pale Council - that was on my 2nd and 3rd attempts. I had 3 fights in total since Prophecies were introduced. Standard included.
but I do love that fight, and especially the music (Kamil is a genius).

When fighting the Council do not step in the middle of the arena. it's a kill zone. do your best to stay at the top of the screen where the thrones are.
as soon as one loses an immunity shield - hit him/her hard, and move out fast to avoid incoming attacks from their friends.
And stack as much Chaos resistance as you can.
Last edited by johnKeys on Jan 18, 2019, 1:39:42 PM
@johnKeys

Thanks for the advice John. It's nice to know that their are people in this forum who don't have a God complex and have struggles like everyone else.
Yeah the fight got made harder with a patch. The initial low level version of the master mind didn't have those stupid untargetable crawling fucks.

They added that after the patch that upgraded the rewards to low levels. (Never saw it on my ilvl 68 mastermind but saw it yesterday on my new leveled character).

It's weird but the fight seems like it is designed around the new skills. If you play any of the brands or winter orb the fight seems really easy since you only have to focus on dodging.

The crawler mechanic sucks. You literally have to charge, leap, dash around in circles and dps her when you can.

It's weird because if you prioritize defense she still will kill you very quickly. Focusing on fire-and-forget high DPS skills seemed to be the easiest.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info