Betrayal league ( My Review)

My Background: So why should you listen to my review, why am I so special. Easy answer I'm not, I'm no pro player, no streamer, hell I don't even make my own builds I copy them every single league. But I have been here since beta not on xbox of course but I have a lot of experience playing this game. I'm also not a kid I'm a father of 4 that will be gaming until the day I die, thinking of making them bury my computer and consoles with me when I die because death is gonna be real boring. So as you can see I'm as casual as they come I have done most of the leagues and even the races here some I like and some not so much like I hated Delve but most like it, doesn't mean its bad just not my cup of tea.

Overall Opinion: I love Betrayal, I mean really love it trying to set up perfect warehouse raids is very challenging and fun. Im gonna go into more detail below and how I do it but in general I love this league.

How I do it: my goal in every headquarters is to put at least 3 good people there and then fill in other 2 spots with whatever, I try to get 2 more good ones there but if you try to get all 5 good ones there your gonna go nuts. This is except for Intervention in intervention I try to get 5 scarab people in there. I also try to get the leader and two others 3 stars. DO NOT start it with leader not 3 stars. You get double prizes for the leaders room so that's best prize times 2. There is no shame in not doing any action teleporting out and starting over if all the options are not good after you defeat them.

Where I farm: there has been so much discussion over this and my personal opinion is Blood aqueducts is the best. Here is why its a straight shot you don't have to normally every backtrack, just stick to the left side of the path and you can see if they are on the left pathway. Soon as you see them cross over and kill them and reset. There could be other places but I have yet to find a spot as good as this feel free to suggest yours and ill give it a try though.

Materminds area: Tried it twice died and gave up, honestly most people say its crap drops so don't see reason to waste time doing it.

My character: im using the winterorb build I found online, again I don't make my own builds and most of the time I try 4 or 5 before settling on one for league. I also use Inspired Learning and I use this on every build I ever make because I like it a lot again most will say its useless but I like it.

Closing: did this kinda quick so if I missed something feel free to ask thank you GGG for such a great game I really have enjoyed it over the years. This isn't me kissing butt I gain nothing from saying this, im not payed or anything its just a opinion of someone who has been here since beginning but does not post a lot.
Last bumped on Jan 13, 2019, 1:35:39 AM
"
Stormswa wrote:
My Background: So why should you listen to my review, why am I so special. Easy answer...

The easy answer is: You are a Path of Exile player. That's all that's needed, really. The game depends on everyone, no matter their experience level or how "gud" they are. A brand-new player just starting PoE for the first time is important.

As a PoE player since just after it hit Xbox (Long time D3 player and migratedP), I can honestly say the most important experience for any player is Day 1. Then, it's Day 2... etc. (Retention is necessary for us to survive. :) )

My own review of Betrayal - I mostly ignore it. It's too complicated, not explained much at all, and doesn't make much sense. Having to deal with an entirely new crafting system AND new, complex, League mechanics is just too much at one time. (Could I? Sure. But, I don't want to because I don't find it fun. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! That's fine, too. :)

PS - I don't pay very much attention to Betrayal mechanics. I never seem to get a decent change to organizing things, so I don't even try much anymore. Could you, perhaps, explain a bit more in depth how you go about setting everything up? Maybe a word or three will set fire to my brain and make everything about Betrayal make sense.
Id be happy to try to help so the most important person to get in the right place is the leader of the safehouse.

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/687axy.jpg[/IMG]

Not sure if that came out ok so lets say you want to get some scarabs to sell the one that sells the best right now is Sulphite Scarabs and that is Cameria so I need to get her in intervention. So lets say for example someone is in her way lets say Tora is there I would wait to move Cameria there and then Imprison Tora. When you imprision the next in line will take their place.

OK so we got her where we need her now who else to put in there well I like map scarabs and strongbox ones so I will also need Haku and Rin there and after 3 good people or 2 sometimes I throw anyone there. If you get a option lets say you have all 3 stars in intervention and the options for Cameria are imprision or remove Rin and you don't want to do either don't. Just teleport out.

Its all personal preference who you want but just look at chart when playing to decide. Vorici in research is awesome and saves me tons of chromatic orbs. Gravisius is great in transportation but if someone is in wrong place just imprision them until they lose all their stars and make friendships if say Rin is friend with Tora then Tora will come help Rin during fight. Its really blast once you get used to it.

Edit: you will have to copy the link into browser I don't know how to imbed on here.

Last edited by Stormswa on Jan 1, 2019, 5:01:12 PM
Tinypic loves its cookies/ads/etc, so it's difficult to directlink to. Attempting here if Tinypic will allow the direct link:

(I generally use Imgur, since it's a bit friendlier. Used to use Tinypic until they changed how their direct links work.)

Thanks for the info!

I use a chart I got from the PC forum, but the annoying thing is getting the right person at the right time. It seems to be random and sometimes a problem, especially when your choice is forced. ie: Either you interrogate them or they're removed from play. :/)

Eventually, I'll get the hang of it, but I still don't find myself caring that much. I also don't see how this mechanic could possibly make it into Standard, given that you need constant interaction with it in order to make it work. And, I can also see certain squishy builds getting slaughtered, too, which would anger players or push those builds out of the game due to "surprise visits" by this mechanic operating as designed... :)
Last edited by Morkonan on Jan 2, 2019, 10:42:08 AM
"
Stormswa wrote:
Id be happy to try to help

This single post was more useful to me than every single "help topic" in the game...combined.

Thank you. I now understand what to do to never again face that "you have 8 seconds to craft as much as you can" challenge. I can barely even move the cursor over there in 8 seconds!
"
TheRealDeria wrote:
"
Stormswa wrote:
Id be happy to try to help

This single post was more useful to me than every single "help topic" in the game...combined.

Thank you. I now understand what to do to never again face that "you have 8 seconds to craft as much as you can" challenge. I can barely even move the cursor over there in 8 seconds!

sorry took so long to get back I don't check my computer that much, yes I never ever do those. Really the only two I pay attention to are intervention and transportation. The other ones I try to get good people in but not as much.
also if you get 3 to attack you they always offer to be lvled that's why friendships are so important.
There are many many things I love about this expansion.... but I'd skip this league's mechanics all together if I didn't miss out on learning crafting recipes.

Pre-nerf, I did avoid it all together... only did enough to figure out encountering the syndicate was assuredly going to end in my death. Kept doing them (and dying) until I hit the one that makes you go underground... skipped it and figured out I'd continue to get that one until I did it... which allowed me to avoid it entirely.

Post-nerf, I gave it another try... can't miss out on those crafting recipes after all... Here is my sad approach.... Fully designed around avoidance, survival and getting recipes.

1. Always Jail (with few exceptions) as it results in a rank reduction.

Exceptions:

1. Destroy all items of syndicate members in ________.
2. Drop extra veiled item
3. Drop Unique item.

This approach allows me to collect recipes with the least amount of time wasted.... and...... deaths.

Doing the hideouts, imo, is generally not worth the time using this approach. I've got a few scarabs which I don't find to be very useful or valuable.

I tried the final boss (without research) and made it to what I think was the last phase before I used up my last portal, failing to down it.

I still end up skipping the forts on red maps... mostly the issue being that there is so much stuff happening visually on screen that I can't understand what it going on.
I always liked the concept of Betrayal but it took me quite some time to like it in practice. Now I love it but I'm a slow learner and I've played quite a bit (for me anyway). My trick is to know a few small things (like get It That Fled into Research or Cameria into Intervention and never ever move them out of there). I love the league because there is a lot of variety. I hated Incursion but in this league I don't mind it because it is mixed up with a lot of other things.
Overall for me this is my favorite league, but oddly enough one of my least favorite league mechanics. I really dislike the implementation of the Syndicate itself, but I love the veiled mods, I love everything else that went standard this league and I am having a ton of fun this league.

My problems with the syndicate are:

1. My biggest problem is simply that it is auto-engaged. Intervention, Transportation even Fort are all automatically engaged. Research you go down into a separate zone but it has its own problems. They really should be triggered by hitting something so you can do them when not surrounded by all the other various things.

2. The mobs should 100% despawn once you kill the masters, having to clean up no XP/no loot mobs for 5 minutes so I can actually talk to the people is annoying and a waste of time. Should work like the old Elreon missions automatically despawn when the timer runs out.

3. The research encounters are great at lower levels, but at higher levels where you have to keep 5 of 6 research alive is just simply impossible when you have more than a member or two in the research, once they spawn their AoEs will knock out a could research things during your fight unless you insta-gib them (which my build comes close to doing and still I can only succeed 50% of the 3 or 4 member missions)

I hope like beastiary this gets some rework when it gets integrated into standard. However, I do LOVE veiled mods they are a great addition and a really fun mechanic. Scarabs are pretty meh but the veiled mods are awesome.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info