Please Advise Casual on His Syndicate Ranger

TLDR: Skill/gear linked below. health ~860, Resists ~30 overcapped except chaos at 17 total. coming up on end of act 3. Advise on skill and talent direction?

Conversational piece:
Spoiler

Hello,

Fairly casual player looking for advice on the direction to take my Ranger. Currently in hardcore to see how far i can get, but when i die I'll probably just continue in soft.

I've been doing fairly well except syndicate research and transportation has had several close calls when i dive too far. I'm considering going north in the skill tree for health+evasion or south to aim for some life/mana leech since my two rough spots are health/mana regain and some close calls on the health pool.

For skills I've been toying around to find something i like. I really enjoy the feel of the barrage with mirage archer for single target and scourge arrow for multi but i seem to have better reliability with toxic rain, especially in the areas with several obstacles. I also have been using a siege ballista to pseudo-decoy and damage but it is starting to get wrecked pretty early and i don't really want to go totems. Arctic armor, Herald of Agony, and Blink arrow round out the rest of what i currently run due to slot considerations, though i am looking forward to trying out Herald of Purity.

This round i have been shying away from elemental damage, and am considering specing into some chaos/poison nodes but i haven't completely set my mind to it yet. Also the runner up single target skills have been frenzy and puncture while caustic arrow and tornado shot is in consideration for multi.

Thank you for reading through the post and i look forward to any suggestions, I've played off and on through the years and play casually So i don't really mind if it doesn't fit the clear speed meta, but these close deaths this early have me wondering what i should focus on and some nice combos i probably didn't see yet.

Also I'm considering the raider ascendancy because it seems more defensive but the Deadshot one also has some appeal. The flask oriented one (pathfinder?) doesn't appeal to me though I've seen in threads how popular it is.

Items:
Spoiler

Passive Tree

-Edit: Updated gear links to reflect current progress

Last edited by Bitle on Dec 13, 2018, 2:41:06 PM
Last bumped on Dec 13, 2018, 3:16:56 PM
i dont have much time, so ill make it quick and simple:

LIFE ON RARE ITEMS, no exception, no excuses.

I could find you gear 4x as good as yours for only 2-3 chaos orbs, if not less.

the other 7 tips are:

Life
Life
Life
MAXIMUM LIFE
Life
Life
Maybe a two-stone ring or two.

Gl hf

e: im not trying to be mean or a douche, but let me explain.

You should look for These Things on your gear early on (if they can get on this Slot ofc)

Life > Res > and then, only then Offensive stats.

No matter if you have 260% increased life on your tree, this is the only answer i can give you, get flat life lol.

Last edited by Kane1992 on Dec 13, 2018, 1:24:56 AM
Thanks for the input, i had it flipped i guess with capping resists > Life > offense etc on the gear.
"
Bitle wrote:
Thanks for the input, i had it flipped i guess with capping resists > Life > offense etc on the gear.

Don't know if anyone mentioned this before but you should stack life as much as possible :)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
yea starting to see that :) Any thoughts on the passive tree? I keep second guessing if i should go into any poison nodes, and I'm a bit dismayed about str/int nodes for a few supports/golems i was considering. i try to avoid stats on gear because i find it frustrating to suddenly loose half your armor/skills when i swap a piece of gear with a stat drop, but maybe I'm wrong on that too /shrug.
You are not wrong to focus on resists until they are capped. It is a bit of mixed bag in the early game. As a general rule, HP and RES are equal in importance until RES are capped, then HP is king (or ES but that is for late game). However, with enough game knowledge, you can skimp out on early game resists because the mob density is so low and sources of resists are harder to readily come by. If you know what elements certain bosses / zones have, you can beef them up temporarily to get through those areas. So for example, we know Merveil is almost entirely cold based, so before getting into a squabble with her, snag a couple sapphire rings from the ground and pop them in for that fight. 60 cold res is better than 60 hp at that point.

The golden standard for progression is capped resists (of a given element if you know what is coming) and 300 HP per act, so going into Act 3 you should have about 1200 and the ability to cap lightning, at least. That is of course, just a guideline and individual skill and knowledge can allow for much lower values.

Now later on in the game, you really need to make sure you have RES capped at all times, and even over-capped for elemental weakness curse. You want to end with at least 75 (109) in all resists. This is because the mob density begins to really ramp up and the number of incoming assaults gets difficult to dodge, at which point you need to be able to endure several stray hits in a row.
Ah, thank you for the 75 (109) marker, i was curious around how much overcap i should aim for with zone modifiers and curses.
Ah, thank you for the 75 (109) marker, i was curious around how much overcap i should aim for with zone modifiers and curses.

I've updated the original post to reflect recent changes..... My character is just about to enter the scepter at the end of act 3.

Took that advice and spent some currency on crafting a few new pieces from some items-of-potential i had in my stash, now my health pool is at a much improved ~860 and my resists are still over-capped , though my lightning is frustratingly high at ~125 I'll have to wait for another pair of gloves
and/or boots to try to smooth that out.
Last edited by Bitle on Dec 13, 2018, 2:50:13 PM
Just also take note that by the time you finish all 10 Acts, you are going to have -60 to all your resistances since Kitava is such a good person.
*Want to try out some fun hipster builds? Check out my thread below!*
[Build/Stream Thread]
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2246315
heh yes, i fear that day.....planning on doing the first labyrinth just before Kitava...maybe a bit sooner for that reason. It is with that in mind I'm generally happy with being ~ 30 over cap at this stage but thank you for the reminder, it has been a while since last i played.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info