[Need assistance] Selfcast Cold Damage Occultist

Hello guys!

I am kind of helpless. I have barely 200 hrs into the game, but whenever I'm trying to come up with a build myself, I start struggling at T3-T4 Maps ._.

So I am trying to get some hints on how to make a base Idea of a build work.

I kinda want to skip Winters Orb, since you are not "really" selfcasting it(according to the vids I saw).
So I am thinking of a build working with either Frostbolts/Vortex or Fireball based on Ignite damage.

I just started to enjoy playing around with multiple Auras and discovered the Blasphemy Support Gem.
So my Goal for the build is, to have Frostbite, Elemental Weakness and maybe even Assassins Mark as my curses, even tho I would skip Assassins Mark if u suggest to, because I could also gain my Power Charges through other ressources.
For Auras I want to use Clarity, Discipline, Herald of Ice and I would consider Hatred, but it should not work with Spells, if I'm not mistaken, right?

The main issue i was facing was the Mana reservation. Would it even be viable to run this many Auras/Curses to support my Playstyle? I feel WAY safer using those. But I can't seem to come up with a build, supporting most of these. So I hope you guys can help me out and suggest me some ways to make it work or either tell me why anything of my plan is a bad idea. :)
Last bumped on Dec 5, 2018, 10:49:50 AM
Yes, you can absolutely make the mana reservation work. You want a low life build. You can get that a couple ways. You can path all the way down to the bottom left of the tree to grab blood magic, mostly for the Mortal Conviction node behind it. Or you can use the Prism Guardian shield. The shield won't let you reserve as much as the pathing, but it may be enough.

The general idea is that you reserve at least 65% of your life. You can then grab the pain attunement node for more damage. One downside is you need a Shavs for the chest piece, but that's what it's there for.

I actually did something similar to this the last league, running 5 blasphemy curses and a bunch of auras with Arc. It was *very* strong against everything but bosses who have a 60-80% reduced curse effectiveness. By very strong I mean there wasn't much other than a boss (or stupidity) that would could kill me in maps and I was going strong at Delve 750. There's a build guide just up for it here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2255304.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You've got a lot of potential here and I'd love to help.

Edit: I'd recommend not only keeping the 3 damage curses but also adding temp chains and enfeeble for strong defenses. In that case, you'd want to path into blood magic. Also, Hatred works fine with spells but not with pure cold spells. You'd want to use it with something like Glacial Cascade that gives you physical damage to then convert to cold. I'd also use proj weakness for your 3rd curse option if you are using projectiles or despair if you are scaling damage over time.
Last edited by benkester on Dec 5, 2018, 10:54:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info