New skill gem: Scorched Earth

A blue skill gem that lets the player deploy a large sized slow moving fireball that continuosly explodes & leaves behind burning ground as it travels, on it's 8th & final explosion it releases 6 smaller fireballs in a nova with a high ignite chance & small blast radius each, the large fireball will have a large blast radius.

Whats your opinions
Last bumped on Nov 24, 2018, 1:54:27 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
While it holds the spark of potential, its embers should be nurtured correctly if a flame is to be born from it.

Spoiler

Okay, puns aside, it sounds potentially good, but I'd take off the 6 fireballs at the end, or make that part the effect of a threshold jewel. Otherwise it's just too powerful off the bat and leaves too little for the imagination of builders.

Instead, it could work like Fireball as Frostbolt works with Ice Nova. While this big fireball is flying through the air toward its destination, it will fire any fireballs you cast from its position at nearest enemy, perhaps empowered by it somehow.

Or maybe having fireballs you cast that connect with it, cause it to vent flames in an area around it. Each fireball connected during its travel time adding damage and/or AOE radius to its final blast. (up to a max of x, so you can't GMP etc to 1 shot Shaper potentially) If you made it visually grow each fireball you "feed" it, could be aesthetically pleasing. A mobile flameblast...

Additionally, I have just under a million questions in regards to underlying mechanics before I'd ever say this skill should be implemented, but let's start somewhere.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Nov 20, 2018, 6:15:55 AM
Dude... You just blew my mind, awesome idea
This would work as a Support Gem that just adds burning ground behind any Fire Projectile.
We don't really have a lot of fire projectiles, especially not among spells.

I like the idea of a fire Arctic Breath leaving burning ground.

Feeding it Fireballs sounds neat, but would probably feel clunky. It's essentially the opposite of casting Ice Nova or Vortex on Frostbolt, with the difference that Frostbolt always pierces. Trying to shoot non piercing Fireballs into another skill so that it does significant damage seems like a pain.

Another approach could be interesting, to make Fireballs nova when they hit it for better coverage. Each hit could increase the duration so that if you choose to use it to spread Fireballs, you don't get to have the explosion too, but on the other hand you wouldn't need to recast it, which would take time off actually using your damage skill.

I'm not sure what your ideas for optimal damage scaling are for this, so I can't suggest anything specific.
Unfortunately, I feel like the current speed of the game is pretty limiting regarding new skill additions.

As the OP's id might sound cool, I hardly see something like this be very fast, which means that it would likely not really be used I think.
Now, a slow projectiles against bosses ? yeah, that could work, but people don't use a secondary setup anymore for bosses because they just don't need to, they have the dps and the coverage with one single setup.

Something that I would find cool, would be having a "meteor" like skill, the goat boss and some lab enchants already have such an effect, so I could see a spell targetting the ground, and after a short delay a small 'meteor-like" projectile falls onto the ground.
It's a different suggestion I guess, it could have the final effect of the OP's skill too though, from a threshold jewel if it increases clearspeed to reduce raw dmg a bit ( making it an option, and not an requirement ), or just having a big burning ground left around for example.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Not everyone plays the clearspeed meta, Fruz.
Not every new skill has to be the best skill immediately.

"
Xavathos wrote:

No, but GGG has to think about it when creating new skills, and I don't see them creating skills that just cannot keep up at all with their new content and the current pace of the game.

Because their new skills need to be appealing.

If it's just a matter of tweaking numbers ? Then it's fine.
Designing the skill in a way that will not fit the current pace of the game ? ( = adding a new skill knowing that it is going to need a rework to fit the current game anyway ) I don't think so.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 22, 2018, 2:34:35 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Xavathos wrote:

No, but GGG has to think about it when creating new skills, and I don't see them creating skills that just cannot keep up at all with their new content and the current pace of the game.

Because their new skills need to be appealing.

Designing the skill in a way that will not fit the current pace of the game ? ( = adding a new skill knowing that it is going to need a rework to fit the current game anyway ) I don't think so.

Have you seen the new skills at all...? They are far from current meta as it gets.

There are plenty of others in the past, the Lab, Bestiary, Delve, GGG isn't afraid to step completely out of the meta. People will adapt.

Last edited by Xavathos on Nov 22, 2018, 3:59:55 AM
"
Xavathos wrote:
Have you seen the new skills at all...? They are far from current meta as it gets.

There are plenty of others in the past, the Lab, Bestiary, Delve, GGG isn't afraid to step completely out of the meta. People will adapt.

As I said, on top of being good enough for really fast clear speed ( partly because abyss jewels are broken pretty much ), it's only a matter of number, it's not something 'wrong' with the mechanics/design of the skill.

Triple the number and it's completely broken ( and clear slightly faster then ).

Which is exactly why I specified :

"
Fruz wrote:

The new skills added with delves don't need any rework.

And the OP's proposition seems to me like something that would be ... pretty slow, if you need to have several explosions, and then a release of many projectiles.
I'm not sure, the way I see it, it would be weird to have the projectile go super fast and it would not make a lot of sense.

Or which skill from the latest one would you consider are in a need for a rework ?
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 22, 2018, 4:13:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info