Implement a voice over that reads tooltips for new players

Hello exiles :)

I just watched the recent Baeclast #32 Technical with Director Jonathan Rogers and they were talking about new players joining the game and how to help them get up to speed and keep playing instead of giving up out of frustration.

I like the changes made to the Twilight Strand in the 3.0 update. But from what I have seen so far is that many new players usually dont read tooltips. They either think that it is not important or they think they have to progress fast to get to the point where the game tells them exactly what to do next (which in PoE case imo never comes).

So I thought, what if the tooltips were being read to the player. Then the player wouldnt be able to ignore it and at the same time wouldnt have to read the tooltip himself. People would be less likely to outright miss or dismiss a tooltip. They could keep killing zombies while being explained the basics.

Finding the right balance between quick and basic tips instead of reading wall of texts would be key to make this not annoying for new players. A tooltip should never be longer than 2 or 3 sentences with enough downtime between each tooltip to leave the player some breathing space. Therefore, i would propose to enroll such a feature on the first act and every zone has like one or two tooltips with information that might be relevant at that point in time.

PS: I wouldnt mind Chris Wilson speaking for the first two hours of game time explaining the game to me :P
PSS: Not sure if this would have to be incorporated into the lore (like a ghost showing up and explaining stuff to us). It could just be a generic 4th wall breaking voice.
Last bumped on Nov 19, 2018, 5:48:49 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Wouldn't help. People who don't read tend to be those that don't listen either. One of PoE's successes is the freedom it gives people to make mistakes and learn from them. We really don't want a step-by-step guide in the game.
I'll do it. I have a voice like chocolate velvet. hire me
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Wouldn't help. People who don't read tend to be those that don't listen either. One of PoE's successes is the freedom it gives people to make mistakes and learn from them. We really don't want a step-by-step guide in the game.

shags is correct

PoE beats you into learning
I dont see any any key!
Welcome to everyone turning that annoying stuff off or turning all voices off entirely.

If they are too dumb to read the tooltips they won't listen to them either.
Yes, maybe. But if it helps like 10% of those players who dont read, but do listen, then that is 10% more players who might not just get frustrated in the first act.

I know the game shouldnt hold hands. But the overall experience might be improved when voice over is added. It creates an overall more polished and professional feel, which is important for a first impression.
I want someone else to do the default version and buy MTX to replace it with Chris Wilson or Bex, depending on my mood.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info