Am I ready for SSF?

So I picked up the game about mid Incursion and didn't accomplish much except maybe just overcoming most of the learning curve in understanding many game mechanics.

This league I played a lot of builds and had a lot of very lucky drops which funded a lot of experimenting. Noteable drops were Unnatural instinct and then from Reliquary rigwalds quills and soul catcher flask all of which I traded for currency.

I played a bunch of builds too and learned I prefer ranged to melee with a slight preference to bow. Trapping was pretty good too.
notable builds played:
viper strike / agony PF lvl89
arc trap Sabo lvl94
Soulwrest / skele necro lvl93
blade vortex life leech focus scion lvl92
voidfletcher deadeye lvl92
CI triple curse herald of agony occult lvl95
Crit / agony PF lvl95
Some of these were recycled and respecced

I had a few deathless shaper kills and killed Uber Elder 2 times (nearly deathless the second time and then managed to string together 2 instadeaths just porting in - both on the crit agony PF if anyone cares about that detail). I made it to depth 530something - kind of hit a wall at the moment - and killed Kurgal and the blind guy - no luck with Aul though. All of my play was 100 percent solo.

I am seriously debating attempting to play SSF next league - but I question whether I am ready yet.
Here is the build I put together pending they don't mess with Agony Crawler too much:
https://pastebin.com/zqeQhrwL

Of course this is a dreamlist and doable without many of the items, but am I being overly optimistic for SSF?
Last bumped on Nov 16, 2018, 7:23:35 PM
Agony crawler is a bit of a cop-out which is exactly the kind of shit you need to play SSF tbh.

The only two things i'd say you need to be ready for SSF are do you have the desire to play entirely solo? And are you experienced enough in the game to know how to fill the gear/unique gaps from div cards etc?

If yes to both your ready, tbh you sound like you'd be fine already to me, if your talking HC SSF that is a different story as you'd have to be familiar with HC itself as a basis.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 16, 2018, 11:52:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I feel fairly confident I could fill in the gaps and rearrange it as needed.

In truth I've never played in a party and the only time I've ever partied up was for trading in all of my play so far.

I'm probably just overthinking it as it isn't like I can't just jump into the regular league if I get too frustrated with it and it doesn't take that much time to get a character going there. I just wanted to hear from more experienced players and their thoughts in general for newish players transitioning to SSF.

you might be newish but your list of builds is probably broader than a whole host of meta slaves that play every league i'd go for it you have the experience for sure.
I've played SSF since the league style introduced.

There are a few questions you should ask yourself (and be honest) to know if you are ready.

1) Are you okay with long... i mean long grinds for situations where RNG will inevitable block you. For example things people take for granted: Lab trials, master crafting (above level 7), Map drop RNG for atlas completion.

2) Can you make builds without specific uniques that have done end game? Chances are you will get some decent uniques just by playing but you really can't count on even SIMPLE ones sometimes. For example i was looking for three dragons mask this league. I have 4 level 90+ characters, killed elder, shaper the whole 9... still didn't drop it.

3) Are you a patient person? In general this is the part you need the most.

At the end of the day, you can migrate you whole character to trade league if you get frustrated. So it's no big deal to start in SSF and migrate over later if you get annoyed.
If you're familiar with recipes, grinding, no uniques builds and again, grinding A LOT. Give it a try. Is very satisfying when u accomplish things on SSF. Hf
Thanks for the replies guys - I am pretty good with most of the things you mentioned. I bought almost no maps (maybe 1 or 2) so I'm good there, however, I realized I have taken advantage of purchasing chisels and vaal orbs pretty liberally which is something I nearly forgot about. I don't feel like that or any other things are deal breakers but just additional challenges to hopefully overcome.

I have the patience and don't mind long grindy situations. I think I will give it a try and thanks again for the responses.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info