Completely New too PoE-- Seeking community help/advise!!

Sorry I wasnt sure where to post this as the other threads I saw were not appropriate.

With that; Hi. New to PoE completely. blind, fresh fish whatever you call your noobs here. I did play D2 near religiously for 10 years so this concept isnt completely foreign.

I understand "some" of the basics of the game through reading and such and browsing forums. what I cant figure out is what is actually a good build, trash build or expensive build for someone like myself.

So I ask you guys:
Blade Vortex / Speed/ League Starter build with decent to high DPS

Clearly I dont have friends on PoE or know how the economy works. I know it resets the ladder/league every 4 months so... Id like to just play and get a feel while experiencing a decent build with not too much hassle.

Any feed back, input or helpful hints please share. Im very open to other concept builds as a first timer that would allow me to end game with hunger to continue playing.

Cheers and thanks for the time if you read all this.
Last edited by Annakist on Nov 15, 2018, 8:07:14 PM
Last bumped on Nov 16, 2018, 1:50:56 PM
Welcome to the community!
I would say be sure to pick "league start" friendly guides in the beginning. That a way they are cheaper and require no specific gear (or cheap gear, easily obtainable gear)
Also be sure you watch videos on the build you want to play. Like Blade Vortex you mention... many find it clunky to play. With your other arpg experience you probably have an idea of what you want to play / your personal play style, so alittle video research should help you.

Last but not least.. take it slow your first go around, enjoy the content and don't feel like you should be leveling to 70 in 5 hours. Its a super fun game with ALOT to take in and learn.
First, as a complete "newbie", have a look at:

Engineering Eternity's Beginner's Guide Series
The Twilight Strand

With Standard (permanent leagues) and the 3 month Challenge league (now referred to as an Expansion league by GGG) these are the 2 main ways to play PoE. The 3 month expansions are the "start over fresh" leagues and Standard is where everything migrates to at the end of every Challenge league (or 1 month race event). With this knowledge most players choose to play the challenge league as we get new game mechanics that aren't available in the standard leagues until after that challenge league is over and GGG decides to add the challenge league mechanic to the core game (like last league was Incursion but GGG decided not to add it to the core for Delve. But next league this will come back). It's always up to GGG and player feedback as to whether a challenge league featured new mechanic goes core or not.

Anyway, to answer your question about Blade Vortex builds you can go to the PoE Classes/Build forums or google "PoE blade vortex" as I never have played that skill (so many skills so little time). On my quick search I got:

Zizaran: Path of Exile 3.4 Beginner guide - Blade vortex non-crit Witch
Kiss_Me_Quick: Ultra Regen Blade Vortex Tank
Ghazzy: [3.4 Video Guide] Blade Vortex Inpulsa Clear Speed Build [Trickster]
kira1414: [3.4] For Scion - Dual Curse Crit. Based Blade Vortex as Elementalist + Assassin (SSF Viable)

Welcome to the Path of Exile family and have fun. As you will quickly see the PoE forums is the best community of players to ask questions and get help fast. Never be afraid to ask questions as we were all newbies some time in the past.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Nov 15, 2018, 8:46:57 PM
And, before Shagsbeard comes along and says it, you will screw up your first few characters, so be patient.
There is a lot to learn in Wraeclast.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Thanks for all the Helpful hints and links. Read it all over and must say Im excited to play.

I have no doubt Ill mess up my first several builds. Its a learning experience.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Seems like the build Ill be starting out on; cheap, fun, fast. Not too much to it. Allows me to play and watch the mechanics as I progress.

Cheers! See you all in League~

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info