Question About Damage Scaling

I am curious as to if i am understanding damage scaling properly, so i present what I understand and the situation i'm trying to apply it to.

1.) Damage is first rolled for Flat/Added
2.) Damage is then rolled for Added%/conversion
3.) Damage in then rolled for Increase/MORE
4.) damage in then rolled for crit/hit/dodge/block ect

I was interested in making a 100% lightning conversion Smite character, and while going to map out the skill tree I confused myself and am curious if nodes such as "Born to Fight" "26% increased melee physical damage "would even effect the damage.

Smite has 50% physical-lightning + physical - lightning gem = 100% lightning
so it would first roll the flat damage of my weapon then convert it to lightning then roll the increases to damage.

Since it is no longer physical it wouldn't count increases to melee physical damage anymore??

Same question asked to the "Melee Physical damage" support gem. Would it not receive the More multiplier since it is 100% lightning damage?

When I apply the nodes/gems in Path of building it does make the damage go up, and that is why I am confused because I don't believe it should?

If someone could give me some clarity I would greatly appreciate it.
Last bumped on Nov 15, 2018, 8:41:14 PM
Converted damage is affected by modifiers to both the original damage type and the type it's getting converted to. I tend to avoid thinking about damage calculations as happening in an order for this reason. It's just confusing IMO.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
"
viperesque wrote:
Converted damage is affected by modifiers to both the original damage type and the type it's getting converted to. I tend to avoid thinking about damage calculations as happening in an order for this reason. It's just confusing IMO.

So does that mean it doesn't matter what I try to scale it with? Or should I still aim to only scale the elemental part as much as I can?
It means that 1% increased physical damage has the exact same effect as 1% increased lightning/elemental damage. So you should just pick whatever modifiers give you the highest numbers.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Bear in mind that melee-specific modifiers (like that 26% increased melee physical damage node, and the Melee Physical Damage Support gem) likely only affect the actual melee hit portion of Smite, not the area damage, since the latter doesn't appear to be a melee hit (it doesn't trigger Fortify).

You might be okay with that if you feel it's the single-target part of the skill that needs the most help, of course.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info